Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Heyer Reviews- Post them here...

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (mslucy) | 19 comments I thought it would be nice to have all our Heyer reviews contained into one place...and I didn't find a specific section for this (If there is, then please correct - and direct me:) Other wise, let's post them here! I'll begin with mine:

on BeauvalletBeauvallet

Sir Nicholas Beauvallet is my hero! A dashing pirate who saves the life of his heroine Donna Dominica and her father to return them to their homeland- how could I possibly resist such gallantry, courage, strength and charm?

Heyer outdid herself once again with this fantastic novel filled with history, intrigue, excitement…and yes, this one too is filled with incomparable wittiness. And- the dialogue is superb!

Surprisingly, being more used to her regency novels, I was thrilled that this one takes place during the reign of Elizabeth I and the Spanish Armada.

I absolutely loved the history and detail, let alone that the characters completely came to life. The story captivated me from the very beginning with that first scene involving Don Juan himself.

This book is reminiscent of a time when heroes were heroes and damsels were breathtaking not only physically but even more so due to their clever and gustsy ways.

I reveled in the times and the historical accuracy for me was more than a treat. Delightful from beginning to end, BEAUVALLET has become my number one Heyer read- so much so, that I plan on rereading this one for sure. It’s truly a classic.

Fantastic!

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Good idea Lucy.
Here's mine for The Corinthian:

Second Heyer I read, and much better then Faro's Daughter IMO. Pen was a very delightful heroine, and I felt Heyer did a much better job developing the budding romance between Pen and Richard then she did with the main characters in Faro's Daughter.

The plot was engaging and well maintained throughout the book, full of the types of adventures you'd expect to find in a regency (i.e. struggles against marriages of convenience, a bored yet lonely dandy, a girl disguised as a boy). I did have a bit of a problem trying to understand some of the thief "cant" from the character of Jimmy Yarde, but kudos to Heyer for having it in there - it added to the period feel, although it was fairly incomprehensible to my 2009 American ears! Heyer even managed to flesh out some very minor characters introduced during a coach trip and make them funny and clearly drawn - it was probably my favorite part of the novel, although the last paragraph had me in stitches as well, I must say - read it and find out for yourself why!

I will definitely read more Heyers, and hope I can find another with the brightness and engaging characters of The Corinthian.

message 3: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (mslucy) | 19 comments I love your review!

Hannahr wrote: "Good idea Lucy.
Here's mine for The Corinthian:

Second Heyer I read, and much better then Faro's Daughter IMO. Pen was a very delightful heroine, and I felt Heyer did a much better job develo..."

message 4: by Hannah (last edited Mar 02, 2010 07:07AM) (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Lucy wrote: "I love your review!..."

Thanks! Yours was, too :)
Everytime I go to a new board I think to myself, "I really need to read more Heyer (or Agatha Christie, or Mary Stewart, etc.)" - my TBR pile increases exponentially.

message 5: by Cel (new)

Cel Jel | 12 comments Interesting thing about my reading of Heyer's books is that the one I read at a time seems to suit what is happening in my life at that time, and so I will not feel that they are not good. I can not easily rank them for that reason either - they all have equal ranking.

message 6: by Claire (new)

Claire | 46 comments I have a premier league and a first division. Premier league are Frederica,The Grand Sophy,Venetia,These old Shades,The Talisman Ring,Cotillion,ect and first division are April lady ,Faros Daughter, Bath Tangle Black Sheep,ect.The first division are just a little less sparkling and the characters a little less perfect than the premier league but still good reads.

message 7: by Veronica (last edited Jun 01, 2010 06:55AM) (new)

Veronica | 108 comments A Civil Contract:
I had no clue about ‘A Civil Contract’ when I took it from the library. I was shocked to find a completely different treat awaiting me. It was not the customary elopements or falling in love matters but the convenient marriage axiom where the relationship follows the fulfillment of a bargain on both the sides. Heyer spins the tale with the parody of Adam on the brink of financial ruin with only a handsome face to recommend be paired opposite the unsightly but moneyed Jennifer. Adam who is head over ears in love with Julia marries jenny in anticipation of straightening out his pitiful circumstances.
The convenience marriage discomfits Adam in the early days where his father-in-law persists on showering them with extravagant gifts. But a few days time suffices to explicate the aptness of his decision and soon learns to enjoy jenny’s company. Jenny is levelheaded and sympathizes with her situation being only too palpable to give her any anticipation for a love match. The way Julia faints at the house party would have unnerved any woman, but she deals the situation with tact. She dons the role of a caring mother, an ideal wife and a pleasing daughter. She doesn’t cringe away from the thought that Adam would never love her the way he does Julia, but she secures his affection and confidence. Adam may hold his heart for Julia, but those little pleasures, he would share only with his wife. She beguiles in proffering happiness around her family as if there is no tomorrow. A Civil Contract is more of a divergence from smooth sailing lifestyles. It brings to our notice some of life’s practicalities and how we should look at it. Contract is a tranquil and matured novel that teaches values like love and sacrifice and every minute of your read benefits you.
I first thought this book was a mistake. But when I began composing this review, I realized the specialty of it and I decided not to resist multiplicity. Heyer continues to give a variety in the story she weaves.
A marriage of convenience can at times be the best suited during hardships despite the melancholy it could possibly create

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 108 comments Lucy wrote: "I thought it would be nice to have all our Heyer reviews contained into one place...and I didn't find a specific section for this (If there is, then please correct - and direct me:) Other wise, le..."

Love your review. You are one amongst the few who likes Beauvallet.

message 9: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) COUSIN KATE

I've only read 3 other Heyer books, so I can't speak with any authority on how different this offering is compared to her numerous other books, but I will note that I heard about Cousin Kate because it stirs up alot of mixed feelings (and ratings) with Heyer fans.

So of course I had to read it...

Cousin Kate starts off lighthearted, but but within 50 pages the plot takes on a darker, more gothic feel. There is a romance involved, but it's actually not the central theme of the book - mental illness is.

I can see where many readers might have issues with Cousin Kate. It's certainly not a fluffy and sparkling romantic comedy. It's also not full-on gothic horror. It's a sad book in many respects, as it deals with mental illness as well as how some of the characters deal with that mental illness.

In the end, I liked it. Didn't love it - didn't detest it. I'm certainly glad I read it, but wouldn't recommend it for a first time Heyer reader, as it doesn't really seem to fit her standard plotline formula.

message 10: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 505 comments I've also heard criticism of how it deals with mental illness (i.e., do people who are mentally ill really act like that), but mostly from readers who know more about that subject than I do...

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Margaret wrote: "I've also heard criticism of how it deals with mental illness (i.e., do people who are mentally ill really act like that), but mostly from readers who know more about that subject than I do..."

I think that's one of the tipping points for this book. As I don't have any connection to someone with mental illness, I'm in the dark as to how badly (or accurately) this book portrays mental illness.

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) A CIVIL CONTRACT

This is the fifth Heyer I've read, and it's my favorite to date. Given that Georgette Heyer wrote dozens of books, I still have a way to go before I can claim it as my favorite of all, but I think I've sampled enough to get a feel for the type of books she wrote and the character styles she favorited.

A Civil Contract is a departure from the Heyer romantic plotlines. Although marriages of convenience are standard regency romance fare, Heyer takes this and stands it on its head by keeping the hero and heroine from ever (yes, EVER) discovering wild, heart-stopping *lurve*. There is no conventional HEA. No passionate liplock or smoldering declaration of deathly love from our hero and heroine. The hero of the story, Adam, is young, vaguely stupid at times, and unintentionally cruel to his lower-class wife throughout the book. Our heroine, Jenny, is not your typical romantic powerhouse at all: She's lower class, dowdy, short-necked, red-faced. She's also possessed of a meek nature that rarely takes her lordly husband to task for all his slights to her and she seeks only to make him comfortable. She's even willing to help him through his unrealistic obssession with the beautiful and vapid Jula (who would typically be the poster girl for romantic heroines the Regency world over).

Gentle reader, I found it refreshing....

I'm so sick of perfect Mary Sue/Gary Stu characters that look like models, smell like freesia, and fart rainbows and unicorns out their perfectly proportioned buttocks. Oh, sure, it's fun for the first 1,000 or so books, but after 1,001, this wish-fulfillment perfection becomes as stale and repulsive as your breath after a weekend bender.

At least it does to me.

ACC isn't for the HEA obsessed, but for those readers who like a little more realism added to their regency reading romps. Perhaps a bit of age or general cynicism is also helpful in enjoying this book (both qualities I've got in spades).

If you're thinking of reading Heyer for this first time, don't pick up A Civil Contract, as it really doesn't fit her general mold. But if you're tired of the same 'ole/same 'ole complete with the HEA, give this one a try.

message 13: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Veronica wrote: "A Civil Contract:
I had no clue about ‘A Civil Contract’ when I took it from the library. I was shocked to find a completely different treat awaiting me. It was not the customary elopements or fall..."

Great review Veronica! Just finished ACC and really enjoyed it.

message 14: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 108 comments Venetia

“If poetry be the food for love” a passionate love between two contrasting estates of an affluent girl and that of a pauper prince. Amidst the honeyed phrases and the trickling dulcet, one loses oneself in a reverie redolent of happiness and pleasure.

Venetia is a dulcet strewn regency romance that takes readers into the world of aria and canto, the gentle love blossoming between a simpleton and a poetical rake. Beautiful Venetia has known to a great extent less of the outer world. Her dress gets caught to the shrubbery only to be rescued by the estate’s handsome owner and when Damarel saves the invalid Aubrey, the acquaintance grows into gentle love growing more with everyday. The improvised appearance of Conway’s wife deprives her of the powers that once she had, concomitantly divert her onto getting launched which her aunt benignly volunteers to proffer. Damarel resolute to comply with Venetia’s idea of marriage persuades her to venture forth into the city pleading on the grounds of his scandalous repute to besmirch her unsullied one. Venetia finds city life disagreeable though the fashionable circles are a treat, her longing to be at the priory possesses her. Her spirits rise when she meets her mother after a long time and she explains of her predicament that deterred in her marrying Damarel. She leaves for the priory pursued by her uncle reasoning with her in vain the encumbrances of the proposed nuptial. Much to the displeasure of the family as they must unequivocally be, at the matrimonial options with a rake, the estranged lovers reunite in expectation of a protracted bliss ahead.

Venetia is special in every aspect pervading over an incomparable language. The love is insinuated softly into the theme. Unlike other Heyer leading ladies, Venetia is sensible, sweet and is not a whit hair brained. She is not one of those wide eyed water fountains ever plaguing, but a vivid and smart one. Damarel and Venetia share their fame equally though Damarel’s part is the best. Conscious of Aurelia’s repute, he buries his love only to have Venetia contract a better marriage. I should own, I detected a curious aspect. We all know that Damarel is a rake, but all the while he behaves like a scholarly gentleman of colossal wisdom. Venetia is new-fangled as to its divergence from the usual plots. Heyer is a genius.

message 15: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 108 comments These Old Shades

“Desolation might make a man fiendish” applies to the count when he makes life for both himself and his family all the more miserable and the mere contemplation that his only daughter is in employment with the duke whom he had reviled all his life is beyond forbearance. If death could only placate the public disgrace…
The first in the series of the Alastair trilogy is the taster of romance, comedy, action and adventure encompassed in one course. The prequel to the DC is as exceptional in lexis and entertainment, answering those intriguing questions that arose in the course of DC; as for me, I read DC before TOS. TOS is a picture perfect comedy set against the backdrop of pre-regency and post-Jacobite rebellion. The entr’acte of the story spectacles with Leonie dissembling as a boy too blatant to our sapient Justin (Avon)who wagers upon himself to take her for his page, in retribution of his arch enemy, the comte de saint vire, who fortunately happens to be Leonie’s father though not publicly conceded. Justin on unearthing this singularly significant information manipulates a strategy that would result in the acquaintance of the truth with the society also keeps in mind the honorable intention to right Leonie in the eyes of the world and placing her where she truly belongs to. Sinsyne, from a page she ameliorates to a position of a ward where she gets launched into the society with a great deal of success. In the mean while, the Comte takes desperate attempts in shielding the truth that in one situation he intimidates Leonie to a situation accentuating debase and infamy; that in cognizance of which she is driven to the folly of leaving the duke’s shelter. This being rendered fallow, his predicament leaves him with no option but to kidnap her. Nevertheless, Leonie’s intellect should not be underestimated; no sooner than being said she slips out of his hold and returns to her monsignor. Submerged in distraught, the Comte envisages a stiff counter in Avon who has expedited obtaining of the proof than the former had expected. A society gathering is what Avon needs to hyperventilate the already disheveled Comte constraining him to shoot himself at the countess’s outburst of the truth. Leonie is righted, but the only missing piece in the wholesome happiness is her fallacy to have fallen below Avon’s standards; that she believes would make their union unbefitting; her confusion only being momentary to last long, ends in their nuptials.
TOS is a hilarious and pre-eminent fiction portraying the best of the hero and heroine along with a laudable supporting cast. Justin stars the role of an outlandish hero with a shady past and an evil smirched reputation (satanas); whose thoughts and principles are practically outside the comprehensions and capability of any normal person. From the start till the end he remains to be on dictating terms, unfathomable and versatile and is quite composed until he sets eyes on Leonie. He is a sculpture lacking emotion and expression. A complete opposite is the witty Leonie. The counterpart of Avon, she is quick-tempered, pertinacious, and unruly and to top it, tongue lashing, but the way she twists Avon around her little finger, as Rupert puts it, is pretty on her part. She has a childlike reverence for Avon that purges him of his flagitiousness. She seems to be the one person Justin would die to please, love and laugh with. We could see a transformation in him after he marries her. Leonie herself observes of that in the DC. The incorrigible Rupert, the fussy Fanny and the convivial Merrivales who assist in the plan also add to the story though the best is the Comte who is bad enough to swap his daughter for the sake of the title. TOS is one of my evergreen favorites as no one but Heyer could cook up a story as sweet and exciting as this.

message 16: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Veronica,
Just have to say you write beautiful reviews!
Good job :)

message 17: by Ilze (new)

Ilze (ilzeval) I have to agree with Hannahr - Veronica's reviews are just lovely. I get the impression that English is not Veronica's first language, but the way she expresses herself in English is quite delightful and adds an extra dimension to her reviews.

message 18: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 108 comments Hannahr wrote: "Veronica,
Just have to say you write beautiful reviews!
Good job :)"

Thank You

message 19: by Christy B, Admin (In Absentia) (last edited Aug 06, 2010 06:39PM) (new)

Christy B (runaway84) | 24 comments Mod
I reviewed Georgette Heyer's Regency World by Jennifer Kloester here

message 20: by Lianne (last edited Jan 11, 2012 07:56AM) (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I posted all of my reviews of the Heyer books I read on my blog if anyone's interested in reading/commenting on them:

- Venetia : here
- Lady of Quality : here
- Frederica : here
- Convenient Marriage : here
- Arabella : here
- The Reluctant Widow : here

I also reviewed Friday's Child but I'm planning on re-reading it so I won't post it up here (you can find it on my blog though).

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.