The Mariachi’s discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim, group moderator (last edited Mar 22, 2010 03:10PM) (new)

Kim | 350 comments Mod
This play is one of my favorites, so I'm really glad it got chosen! I'm interested in knowing what y'all thought about it! I think the reason I like this play so much is for its ability to be so believable. It's not that hard to imagine the events of the play unfolding in a real dysfunctional family. A man trying to hide his love for another man, a woman trying to win back the love of her husband, someone has cancer and we’re going to hide it, who’s getting the inheritance?! The events aren't that off the wall that would make it just another play to read. It’s believable because stuff like this really does go on behind closed doors. What do you guys think? Like it? Hate it? Why?

message 2: by Adam, The Baggage Handler (new)

Adam | 183 comments Mod
I really enjoyed it. I think Tennessee Williams really writes about relationships very well. He addresses the complex level to relationships. He doesn't make them all lovey-dovey, he adds substance to the characters that I think makes the reader more interested in the characters and the struggles they go through. I think coming from a background, where I did a lot of theater, I really enjoy reading plays, because I am able to visualize what is happening, and I am definitely going to rent the movie and see how it translates onto screen. All and all, 2 THUMBS UP!!

message 3: by Todd (new)

Todd | 89 comments Adding to what Adam said, I think it's interesting that Tennessee Williams wrote this play that takes a really hard look at relationships and all their ugly details in the midst of the 1950's. This was a time when the idea of the American family was a facade and all problems were hidden, much like the movie Revolutionary Road. So to come out with a honest look at the problems faced by us all and the insecurities that we all have is very enlightening and very interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

message 4: by Kim, group moderator (new)

Kim | 350 comments Mod
Does anyone else think this --> I think that in the 50's everyone knew that everyone’s lives on the outside weren’t as perfect as they seemed. I think that Tennessee Williams knew that as well. He was gay, an alcoholic and was addicted to all sorts of pain meds and suffered from depression. His sister had schizophrenia and was in mental homes her whole life. He also grew up with an alcoholic father. I think all this in a nutshell helped him to see what happened behind closed doors. I think he saw through the fakeness of people and wrote about it - hence why his works are still so relevant today. When you look at things that are made today that are set in the 50's they all follow the same pattern - on the outside everything looks great, but on the inside it's falling apart. Todd and Adam both mentioned Richard Yates' Revolutionary Road. That book was published in 1961, yet another example of someone from that period knowing what was going on was shit. What do you guys think? Agree/Disagree?

message 5: by Todd (new)

Todd | 89 comments I definitely agree, I feel like the false marriage/family/life theme is pretty much the go-to idea for 50's movies and tv shows. Take the show Mad Men for example. I find it interesting that it's basically accepted that the ad men can sleep with their secretaries and it's almost expected of them. It's interesting to me to think that our parents were born in this time as well, so it's not as far off historically as we may think.