Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, I'm just finishing a book of travel essays, and I'm either going to start a vampire book Gretchen liked or Faulkner's As I Lay Dying next. I read some Faulkner in college, but that was a long time ago, and I think I'd like him.

Thoughts on Faulkner? What have you read? What do you think?

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I like Faulkner. Sometimes, like DeLillo or Dickens, I get lost in the language and forget the nuances of plot. But that's ok. Gorgeous stuff.

message 3: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Faulkner is essential reading, even if his writing can be laborious.

message 4: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) That does make sense, KD. I think we do appreciate artists (writers, musicians, filmmakers, painters, etc.) for what they've done than their actual output.

message 5: by Cambridge (last edited Mar 04, 2010 08:21PM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments I agree that his writing can be laborious but most definitely is essential and I have only read just a few of his works , The sound and the fury and And as I lay dying and then I remember in college some short stories. And I do agree with KingD that we do tend to appreciate the quality of the work and that it was created and that it exists more than we truly loved reading it (as it is typically 'work' to 'slog' through as Kind D put it) ..... But i think the slogging through is what some people do truly love, it can make the experience unique in itself while you are reading...... a totally different kind of experience than picking up a jackie collins cheese romance novel..... you are getting something different out of it while you are reading. All books offer something different and I think some of these phenomenal authors that force us to 'slog' have created moments in us and for us that we never would have experienced otherwise. There is great reward in enjoying it AND accomplishing it. And I think we feel both lots of times.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Not sure if people say this, but some of Faulkner's lectures have been digitized and posted online:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/st...

message 7: by Misha (last edited Jul 16, 2010 10:17AM) (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Oh, ha! I just sent that link to tadpole (before I saw it here), knowing he's reading Faulkner this year.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.