Terminalcoffee discussion

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 02, 2010 05:31AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Slate has an interesting article this morning on the nature of signs...

http://www.slate.com/id/2245644/

A couple thoughts:

1. Every week in my newspaper's travel section there's a picture of a weird sign translated into English from another part of the world. Does anyone know of which I speak? Is there a website?

2. I work in an old building with tons of additions and passageways. We have weird signs to which we're used (e.g. "Business Office--use the stairway through the door behind you") but completely throw new people.

What do you think? Ever get frustrated by bad signs? No signs at all? Confusing signs? Signs that might be misunderstood, like this one?

http://www.moonfun.net/Milwaukee_File...

message 2: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Speaking of bad signs...

Engrish, a collection of mass butcherings of the English language from across the globe.

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments ok, i know i am 12 yrs old but this sign makes me laugh like Beavis. i put it as a link instead of embedded as it may be a bit of crude humor for some (ok, it def is) but this is a real sign in KY

http://alllostdogsneedmedication.file...

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Gus wrote: "Speaking of bad signs...

Engrish, a collection of mass butcherings of the English language from across the globe."

Ah, you beat me to it, Gus. That site is hilarious!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I love good signage, being able to navigate around someplace I've never been before because of helpful signs.
I added signs to my library to help people find the Juvenile Nonfiction shelves, but I think most people DON'T read signs, because I still had to show folks where that area was.

And I'm laughing at both those signs, RA and Kevin. :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 02, 2010 10:02PM) (new)

Gus wrote: "Speaking of bad signs...

Engrish, a collection of mass butcherings of the English language from across the globe."

Well you guys might laugh at this, apparently Engrish is the language of the future. (According to British show QI) so learn it, live it, speak it, or get left behind. (or should I say 'reft behind')

message 7: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 07, 2010 04:26PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Interesting (to me, anyway) article about how hand-drawn maps are sometimes better than professional ones...

http://www.slate.com/id/2246106/

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i agree with that. i am terrible at reading a map or atlas (or globe if i am traveling in a hot air balloon around the world). i never realized it til i read this but it is all the extraneous stuff that jukes me.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments So true! Regular maps don't give you landmarks, like "turn left at the 2nd stoplight, there's a Jack in the Box on the corner."
Instead, you have to look for street signs and hope they aren't obscured by trees. That's a big problem around here...

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sign spotted on a malfunctioning water fountain in a courthouse in Louisiana:

BROKE

message 11: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments they should turn it into a wishing fountain.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Well they should.

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) As someone who travels all over the place on a regular basis, I find the quality of street signage to be highly variable. Some cities, such as Tucson and Portland, get it right a lot of the time, with "_______ at Next Signal" signs, and large, crosswise (so you see them head on) signs marking every street as you pass it. Nothing worse than having to swivel your head around all over the place trying figure out where you are!

I moved to Pittsburgh ___ years ago. My first day there I got thoroughly lost trying to find my way around the city. I later learned that the natives would often remove street signs in order to keep those from out of town confused. The general feeling was, "If you don't know the streets here, you shouldn't be here." Pittsburghers are an odd lot, for sure.

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i usually read signs as i am driving past them

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
You are so weird, Kevin.

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i didn't say i did it on purpose. just seems like i see my exit sign as i miss it. that makes me weird? i know i am weird but not because of that

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Right, not because of that. See, I understand the exit sign thing. But I thought you just meant, like, billboards and stuff.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 08, 2010 05:29PM) (new)

I have kids to read the signs for me now. I could loan them to you, they are very good!!!

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I've been looking for some kind of sign. Exit or otherwise.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

It's behind you!

message 21: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments oh, yeah i read billboards too. i am a reader, that is how i got on TC :)

my fav in new orleans was of a strip joint with a great looking woman on it. the sign said "she put the hot back in mama"

message 22: by Félix (last edited Mar 08, 2010 05:47PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Gail wrote: "It's behind you!"

*swivels quickly* Where?

message 23: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/958...

AHHHHHHH! not humorous, but true!