Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Urban Fantasy > Kim Harrison

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rhonda (last edited Mar 02, 2010 03:23PM) (new)

Rhonda (helpmerhonda72) Who's read Kim Harrison, and what do you think??
I haven't read any yet, so no spoilers PLEASE!!

message 2: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Mannarino (joyce82270) | 155 comments I tried her books out a few months ago and I am hooked. She doesn't try to overwrite a book so you become bored with trying to get through the setting up of the world before you get to the good stuff. Some of the casual converstations that happen sometimes seem forced but all in all I like her writing.

message 3: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (helpmerhonda72) Thanks, I've got her on my list. Just curious about opinions. Her books have good reviews.

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess | 49 comments Reading the Hollows now!

So far, I like them. Her characters are great. I love the bad guys :/

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Bair-Epps | 725 comments I'm waiting on the third book at the library and can hardly wait. It's been awhile since I've been addicted to a series glad I started it!

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ I love The Hollows series but just so u know...its UF not really PNR (although i do wish there was a UFR). There is alittle romance but not much!

message 7: by KimWin (new)

KimWin | 13 comments Just got Black Magic Sanction. I am starting to go in to the mode where all I am doing is reading it! ;)

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ @KimWin....im so jealous!! im being stubborn and waiting for it to come out on ebook!! (darn publishers)

message 9: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (helpmerhonda72) KimWin wrote: "Just got Black Magic Sanction. I am starting to go in to the mode where all I am doing is reading it! ;)"

I understand that, I'm reading the 2nd book in the Night Huntress serties by Jeaniene Frost, and I get a little irritated when I have to put it down. But work and children call so I must.

message 10: by Dalene (new)

Dalene I just downloaded the first installment of the Hollows last week on my Kindle and able to get the second installment off PBS. Excited to start the series especially after reading all the great reviews above. Thanks!

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (cooldrenth) | 51 comments I like all her books. I can read right though a whole book with out puting it down.

message 12: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 320 comments I love this series!

message 13: by Angela (new)

Angela | 20 comments The Hollows is one of my all time Fave series ... the romance develops as the series develops

message 14: by Vicci (new)

Vicci (theibookemporium) | 193 comments I love all of her books, just finished "Black Magic Sanction". I have listen to all of her audio books and they are great! All are narrated by the same person, except for "The Outlaw Demon Wails".

message 15: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 25 comments LOVE this series!

message 16: by Natasha (last edited Mar 05, 2010 07:39PM) (new)

Natasha (tashaj) | 5 comments Kim Harrison is AMAZING!! FAVORITE EVERR!
i just finished Black Magic Sanction and I'm dying for the next book!
If you have yet to read the Hollows series, do it! :)

Bad Witch Walking(Book1) reveiw..
http://bookmarkyourthoughts.blogspot....

My review for the latest book, BMS!
http://bookmarkyourthoughts.blogspot....

message 17: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (helpmerhonda72) Thanks! I think they'll be my next order from Amazon. Mass market paperbacks are 4 for 3 right now!!! I have to finish the Night Huntress series, Then Mercy Thompson by Briggs.

message 18: by Alice (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 131 comments The Hollows is THE BEST series! Harrison's writing is phenom, & it gets better with each book! I just finished BMS, WOW. I have to be careful when I start her books, because I can't put them down..I have called in sick so I didn't have to!!

message 19: by Alice (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 131 comments Vicci wrote: "I love all of her books, just finished "Black Magic Sanction". I have listen to all of her audio books and they are great! All are narrated by the same person, except for "The Outlaw Demon Wails"."

I wouldn't suggest audio for ODW, that narrator did a (bleeping) poor job! It would have nice if she would have at least pronounced the words correctly. FYI there is a cool Cheri/Al short in the Mass Market edition of ODW "The Bespelled"

message 20: by Vicci (new)

Vicci (theibookemporium) | 193 comments I agree! That narrator for ODW was so bad, I had to go and buy the hardcover book so I could enjoy the novel. I was very upset with the change in narrator. Thank God they switched back.

message 21: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (audiobookmel) Does anyone know if "The Bespelled" anywhere else? I do not want to purchase another copy of the book.

I am currently reading Black Magic Sanction. Only on page 87, Rachel is already up a creek without a paddle or to to quote Jenks, "She's do far up *beep* creek, she could float down with the rest of the turds." I love Jenks.

message 22: by Alice (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 131 comments Here's a list & in reading order of The Hollows related shorts. I haven't been able to find them in audio. I'm hoping KH will put all the shorts together in an anthology like CH did with the Sookie shorts in A Touch of Dead.
-Undead in The Garden of Good and Evil--Ivy novella in the anthology Dates From Hell.
-Dirty Magic--Mia short story in the anthology Hotter Than Hell.
-The Bridges of Eden Park-Kisten/Rachel short story in mass market edition of For a Few Demons More
-Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel--Robbie/Rachel/Pierce novella in the anthology Holidays from Hell
-The Bespelled-Ceri/Al short story in mass market edition of The Outlaw Demon Wails
-Ley Line Drifter--Bis/Jenks novella in anthology Unbound (August 09)
Undead in The Garden of Good and Evil--Ivy novella in the anthology Dates From Hell.

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela | 20 comments That's published order, below is the reading order of the shorts within the novels

(.1)Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel—Robbie/Rachel/Pierce novella in the anthology Holidays from Hell
(.2)Undead in The Garden of Good and Evil —Ivy novella in the anthology Dates from Hell
(.3)Dirty Magic—Mia short story in the anthology Hotter Than Hell
(1)Dead Witch Walking
(2)The Good, The Bad, and The Undead
(3)Every Which Way But Dead
(4)A Fistful of Charms
(5)For a Few Demons More
(5.1)The Bridges of Eden Park—Kisten/Rachel short story in mass market edition of For a Few Demons More
(6)The Outlaw Demon Wails
(6.1)The Bespelled—Ceri/Al short story in mass market editon of The Outlaw Demon Wails
(7)White Witch, Black Curse
(7.1)Ley Line Drifter—Bis/Jenks novella in anthology Unbound
(8)Black Magic Sanction

message 24: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 511 comments Black MAgic Sanction just came in the post today for me. Rather quick for shipping from the states. Now I'm stuck what to take with me on vacation!

message 25: by Vicci (new)

Vicci (theibookemporium) | 193 comments Gem H aka *Dhelirious* wrote: "Black MAgic Sanction just came in the post today for me. Rather quick for shipping from the states. Now I'm stuck what to take with me on vacation!"

Trust me you want to take "Black Magic Sanction", you will not be disappointed.

message 26: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 511 comments I have been DYING to read it!

But I also need to do the re-read of Dark Lover. Ooh the choices!!! lol!

message 27: by Alice (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 131 comments Angel wrote: "That's published order, below is the reading order of the shorts within the novels

(.1)Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel—Robbie/Rachel/Pierce novella in the anthology Holidays from Hell
(.2)Undead in T..."

Thanks Angel!

message 28: by Angela (new)

Angela | 20 comments You're welcome :)

message 29: by Kari (new)

Kari Skaggs (kariskaggs) | 1 comments I just finished the last in The Hollows Series, Black Magic Sanction. It was by far the best in the series. I've been reading this series for several years and all of them are great books. The characters are fun and witty. The plot is intersting and quick-paced. I highly recommend these books!

message 30: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 565 comments Kari wrote: "I just finished the last in The Hollows Series, Black Magic Sanction. It was by far the best in the series. I've been reading this series for several years and all of them are great books. The char..."

That's in my March challenges stack - I'm really looking forward to reading it.

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Bair-Epps | 725 comments Thanks Angel I didn't know there was that many short stories

message 32: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyjade) | 72 comments The Hollows is one of my favorite series! I just got Black Magic Sanction yesterday and I ordered the rest of the books from Amazon (I first read them from the library but I HAD to own them for myself!), so I am waiting for them to come in so I can re-read :). I would definately recommend the series.

message 33: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (helpmerhonda72) Okay, I just ordered the first 4 in the Hollows series!!! Good job everyone, ya'll sold me!!! ;o)

message 34: by ☻Nikki☻ (new)

☻Nikki☻ C (nikkic1998) I love "The Hollows" as well. I will admit I wasn't sure I was going to keep reading after the first book but like most series the first book is sometimes the hardest to read. But, I'm so glad I kept reading because this series is Awesome!! I absolutely loved Black Magic Sanction...It was Wonderful. Funny, intense, sad, romantic...so much in one book. LOVE IT!! It's probably my favorite of the series.

message 35: by Alice (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 131 comments ☻Nikki☻ wrote: "I love "The Hollows" as well. I will admit I wasn't sure I was going to keep reading after the first book but like most series the first book is sometimes the hardest to read. But, I'm so glad I ke..."

Black Magic Sanction is AWESOME..I'm hoping she comes to Chicago again so I can have it signed..I was lucky enough to meet her & have a couple of hardcovers signed during her The Outlaw Demon Wails Tour. I have to confess I was the biggest geek there. At 57 I turned out in my ODW Tee & my still mourning Kisten black armband. Great fun!

message 36: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 565 comments You crack me up Alice - if you have pictures you should post them.

message 37: by Jesslynn (new)

Jesslynn | 164 comments Alice wrote: "☻Nikki☻ wrote: "I love "The Hollows" At 57 I turned out in my ODW Tee & my still mourning Kisten black armband. Great fun! ..."

And where would one get this arm band??? Cs I really am still mourning him! I think I loved him! LOL

message 38: by Alice (last edited Mar 31, 2010 06:56PM) (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 131 comments KH has a pretty good web site..she always has free stuff, like the arm band. Guy, (the guy who runs the merchandise store) is pretty cool too.
vampiriccharms.com

www.kimharrison.net & she has a page on facebook & she Twitters (as does my heart for Kist) also.

message 39: by Alice (new)

Alice (thegoodqueen) | 131 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "You crack me up Alice - if you have pictures you should post them."

I wish I did! just wasn't thinkin'.

message 40: by Dalene (new)

Dalene I am nearly finished with the first book. I'm excited to hear that the series just continues to get better. While I've enjoyed Dead Witch Walking, I just couldn't imagine the series continuing on just this way. I was also excited to hear there is a little more romance in the later books. Thanks!

message 41: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (heather_fl) Is anyone else annoyed that Black Magic Sanction ebook was released over a month after the hardcover? Or is it just me? Amazon originally had the release date of April 6, 2029, but after contacting them, they fixed their error and I just got it today. But I'm annoyed I couldn't get it back in February... I need my Rachel fix! :-)

BTW... I cried so hard for Kist. I loved him. I thought he was perfect. I kept hoping in the next book we'd find out that he was still around, but that just wasn't meant to be I guess. :-(

message 43: by Escape (new)

Escape | 44 comments Loved "The Hollows" books and the characters. I laughed, I cried, and I got strange looks from people at work. LOL =)

message 44: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Ruffin (poetic_mother) | 42 comments I wrote Amazon about the 2029. They said that "2029" means they do not know when the book will be available for the Kindle but will update the site when they do know. The April 6th date just changed today. I am so upset because I bought the hardcover when they emailed me that and now I only hope the store will take it back since it arrived on my Kindle this morning.

message 45: by Jess (new)

Jess | 49 comments Dee Dee wrote: "I wrote Amazon about the 2029. They said that "2029" means they do not know when the book will be available for the Kindle but will update the site when they do know. The April 6th date just change..."

It did not show up on my Kindle..

message 46: by AH (new)

AH | 123 comments Has anyone read her Madison Avery series? I think it is geared more to young adults. I found one story in Prom Dates from Hell (it was one of the better stories in that anthology)

I love the Hollows series. The characters are entertaing. I love how they interact and the nicknames they have for each other. My only issue with it is the bad editing. A lot of spelling errors.

message 47: by Jesslynn (new)

Jesslynn | 164 comments Heather wrote: "Is anyone else annoyed that Black Magic Sanction ebook was released over a month after the hardcover? Or is it just me? Amazon originally had the release date of April 6, 2029, but after contacting..."

I'm not a big fan of her new love interest either, Pierce. I keep thinking I'd rather see her go totally bad ass and hook up w/ Trent or the damn demon, then w/this Pierce guy.

message 48: by Jess (new)

Jess | 49 comments I hope it is Trent

message 49: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (heather_fl) Jess wrote: "grrrr!

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3..."

Ah... see... I was looking for something that said Kim Harrison in the title, lol. But yes, that's exactly what I was talking about.

As for the 2029, at one point it said 2010 and then they changed it. I wrote to them this morning and got a response back just a bit later that it was a mistake that had been fixed. I also read a bunch of comments that Amazon cancelled early orders (that were $8.65) and made people reorder at the 12.99 price. It's my understanding that publishers are now setting ebook prices instead of letting Amazon. Figures. Anyhoo... I got mine, which is fine timing because I'm almost done with Patricia Briggs' latest on Mercy.

On other notes, I'm not big on her thing with Pierce either. It's just weird. Oddly, I love Al. :-) He's a jerk, but there's something about him. And I love Trent. I think he's just scared of her, but there has to be something there.

message 50: by Jesslynn (new)

Jesslynn | 164 comments Gah...I've been begging my hubby to buy me the Kindle bcs the prices seemed so much better, but after what you just wrote...idk. I might stick w/my paperbacks.
Um..is there a topic where New Mercy is being discussed cs I'd like to know if was good or not?

As far as Al is concerned, i'm not normally a masochist, but me, too! I really like him.

« previous 1