Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's February

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Mar 06, 2010 12:58PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7587 comments The HelpKathryn Stockett. A fascinating story of 1962 Jackson, Mississippi. A young white woman attempts to persuade the maids of the town to tell what it's really like to work as a maid. The story is funny, tense, and poignant. For those of us who were aware of what was going on at the time, it brings back sad memories; for those who were far removed from it it's an eye-opener.

A Fatal Grace: A Three Pines MysteryLouise Penny. This is #2 in the Three Pines series featuring Inspector Gaumache of the Surete de Quebec. A newcomer to Three Pines is electrocuted with the whole town nearby, watching a curling match. Inspector Gaumache, his team of detectives, and the lovable residents of the town help solve the mystery. There is also some intrigue happening behind the scenes involving an unpopular arrest by Gaumache that seems to be unfolding slowly throughout the series.

The Picture of Dorian GreyOscar Wilde. This is a reread, or rather a listen. A classic story that was a bit wordy for my taste but still a creepy tale that's one of a kind. Dorian Gray is a beautiful young man who has his portrait painted, and laments that he would sell his soul if he could remain as young and beautiful as the painting and never age. Be careful what you wish for. This story is further intriguing because it is written by Oscar Wilde, who later edited out passages that were deemed to be homoerotic.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13894 comments Carol:
I read the Kindle sample of The Helpand was immediately hooked into the story but haven't had time to get to it yet. the perspective of 1962 is different from my memories as a seven year old, but I expect it will trigger sad memories as well as open my eyes.
I had forgotten that they were ~Curling~ in A Fatal Grace during the murder!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "The HelpKathryn Stockett. A fascinating story of 1962 Jackson, Mississippi. A young white woman attempts to persuade the maids of the town to tell what it's really..."

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1562 comments I still have Louise Penny's first book in the TBR pile. I really need to get to it..soon ;)

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2896 comments I think they sold me the wrong picture. It keeps getting younger, and I hate to say what I'm seeing in the mirror.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7587 comments Barry wrote: "I think they sold me the wrong picture. It keeps getting younger, and I hate to say what I'm seeing in the mirror."

Barry, the anti-Dorian Grey.

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7587 comments Susie in KS wrote: "I still have Louise Penny's first book in the TBR pile. I really need to get to it..soon ;)"

Yes you do, Susie!! I'm closing in on the end of The Cruellest Month by Louise Penny and am off to the library web site to get #4. It's been a long time since I've read/listened to a series back-to-back.

message 7: by Ann (new)

I started The Brutal Telling while waiting at the doctors office last week. I am so tempted to throw due dates to the wind and pick it up soon!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: " I'm closing in on the end of The Cruellest Month by Louise Penny and am off to the library web site to get #4. It's been a long time since I've read/listened to a series back-to-back. .."

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Mar 03, 2010 12:54PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7587 comments Ann, I know exactly what you mean! I have about 5 pressing library books, plus a loaner from a friend who keeps asking "did you start
The Girl Who Played with Fire?", but don't you know I went right to the library web site and requested The Brutal Telling? I'm number 1 for the book and number 3 for the audio, so I'm preparing myself for the grumbling of the TBR pile next to my bed when I pick them up.

I thought The Cruellest Month was the best yet, was wandering around the house with the earbuds on because I couldn't put it down, especially toward the end. The murder mystery was typically clever, the characters amusing, but the drama unfolding in the Surete and the impact on Gaumache just had my head spinning. Zowee!!!

Ann wrote: "Carol:
I started The Brutal Telling while waiting at the doctors office last week. I am so tempted to throw due dates to the wind and pick it up soon!
"

message 9: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1203 comments Oh, wow, I just finished Still Life by Louise Penny and was going to hold off requesting A Fatal Grace since I currently have 15 books checked out, but after reading your comments I can't resist!

message 10: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1562 comments Dawn wrote: "Oh, wow, I just finished Still Life by Louise Penny and was going to hold off requesting A Fatal Grace since I currently have 15 books checked out, but after reading your comments I can't resist!"

Dawn, I hope you are reading really, really fast!

message 11: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1203 comments Trying! Reading Indelible by Slaughter right now...its already got my heart racing!

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7587 comments LOL, Dawn. Now you know how I feel! Will be picking up the book and the audio of The Brutal Telling today! In the meantime I am listening to The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón so will have to finish that first.

I'm bummed that I have to return Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin by Kathy Griffin because something is kerflooey with the first disc

Dawn wrote: "Oh, wow, I just finished Still Life by Louise Penny and was going to hold off requesting A Fatal Grace since I currently have 15 books checked out, but after reading your comments I can't resist!"

message 13: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3445 comments I picked up Still life a few times in B&N and always put it back for some reason. Then when I finally decided I might read it I picked it up at Borders. They only had the trade size don't know why they seem to stick with trade size more than the smaller pb. I resisted knowing I hope to soon go to B&N because of the gift certificate I still have that is burning a hole in my wallet.

message 14: by Ann (new)

What a wealth of good audio books you have! I would be so unhappy if one of mine had a bad disk. I have been fighting with my car CD player on my previous two audio books. I think one of them must have had some dirty disks and the cold weather didn't help any. I am loving listening to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies right now; it is a hoot!
I wish my library had Carlos Ruiz Zafón's books on audio.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "LOL, Dawn. Now you know how I feel! Will be picking up the book and the audio of The Brutal Telling today! In the meantime I am listening to The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón so will have to finish that first.

I'm bummed that I have to return Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin by Kathy Griffin because something is kerflooey with the first disc"