Delirity discussion

Rants > Staying Fit

Comments Showing 1-50 of 126 (126 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
I'm just curious what any of you might do to stay healthy. Losing weight isn't my goal, but I need to start making healthier choices which would wonderfully result in a smaller size.
I have such a hard time saying no to fast food and candy bars, especially since I work 2 jobs and sometimes I'm away from my fridge for 18 hours a day. What I pack in the morning just doesn't sound good for dinner by nightfall.
Today for dinner I tried a new trail in town and used Pita Pit as my incentive. I had to walk/run at least 2 miles to get from my car to the food and then go back. It worked, but I don't think that will motivate me all the time. I have to drive past the trail to go home and get the great dane for safety before actually hitting the trails. Once I get home I never want to leave. I hate wasting the gas to drive all the way back to where I was to begin with. Walking around my neighborhood is just boring. MP3 players, a buddy... none of it keeps me entertained. I get bored too fast.
Need help, or have any ideas how to force someone off their butt? ...To get someone to turn down yummy peanut butter cups? Or did you just do something great today to make your life healthier and you want to brag about it? Here's the place to write about it.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (wildcherry) This is going to sound silly but i lost 1.5 lbs by running around the furniture store last night. I realized how out of shape I am though as I was out of breathe by repeatedly getting lost in the store going up and down the stairs. I previously had a job where a snack box was always close by with pretty good snacks in it so I totally understand you frustration. My current motivation is the fact that I even eating to much makes breathing difficult because I have gotten lazy. Now mind you I am only slightly overweight with history of asthma so that doesn't help.

message 3: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I'm a good weight for my height, like I'm average; not skinny but not overweight either. I still want to loose some weight though. What I have started to do is use my elliptical for an hour every day while watching my dvr'd shows, yes I am aware that's not a word ;) I also do 4-5 sets of ten crunces each every day =D That's only if I have the time though; I allow myself to skip exercising 2-3 days a week, because my schoolwork and everything I don't have time to devote an hour a day to exercise...

message 4: by Heather (new)

I'd like to have an elliptical, but I can't justify spending the money on it because my past dictates that I will use it for a week or 2 and then forget it exists after that.

message 5: by Jasmine (last edited Mar 02, 2010 12:41PM) (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments lol, well my mom bought the elliptical a while ago, and we use it off and on. But for the past couple of months its been in use everyday.

message 6: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2765 comments I have both an elliptical and a treadmill in my basement and I go in streaks with using them. I do have a tv and dvr down there. I do only allow myself to watch a show if I am on a machine. But the thing is I just am not much into using them. I find I am having better success going to the mall to walk in the morning. There are things to look at, I walk with a friend or have my ipod with music or have downloaded a book.

I also find it works not to have the bad food around the house because if it isn't there you won't eat it.

message 7: by Heather (last edited Mar 02, 2010 07:53PM) (new)

Every time I try to not buy candy and chips and stuff my husband comes home with it. When I don't try to eat healthy, he only brings healthier stuff home. He doesn't help much. =)

I was going to try the trail again today but it rained and snowed. So instead, I started phase 1 of my living room furniture being moved around. I have a bookshelf that couldn't make the turn into the computer room and it's been in the way since we moved in. Today, I moved all the books off of it, cleaned it, and am now trying to sort through what books to put on it, which ones to put in a box, and which one to get rid of. It's been overflowing so I had to do something about it. It's definitely working to get my heart rate up. I have several 10 lb. or heavier art books. One's a 25-30lbs box set on Venician art and architecture.

I'm trying to de-clutter my house a bit. With my husband and I both being pack rats, we needed to do something. =)

message 8: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Ahah, that sounds like my dad! Me and my mom were both eating "healthy" and he brought home cookies and a cannoli for me (that's my FAVORTIE sweet :]). lol, I think my mom refrained from eating to many cookies, but I have have close to no self restraint.=/

message 9: by Heather (new)

The day I decided to try to cut out candy and cookies he brought home the girl scout cookies. Not fair. I'm telling myself I can only have 1 a day, but I like to horde cookies. Every time he eats one I feel the need to eat the whole box to keep them from him. (Don't know why I have that mentality, but yummy snacks shouldn't be shared, except with me.)

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2765 comments Heather wrote: "The day I decided to try to cut out candy and cookies he brought home the girl scout cookies. Not fair. I'm telling myself I can only have 1 a day, but I like to horde cookies. Every time he eats o..."

LOL

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (wildcherry) Girl Scout cookies are the worst. Thin Mints will be the death of me! Now I have found the Milano cookies with mint creame...aaaa bliss! but i try to only eat those when i have been really good that day.

message 12: by Heather (new)

My problem is tagalongs.

message 13: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I love those Milanos! I really love that cocunut type cookie and Thin Mints from Girl Scout cookies...I don't remember the name of the first one...=/

message 14: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2765 comments You guys are killing me with your cookie talk. I gave up all sweets and sugar for Lent. I am not Catholic, but I try to give up something every year just to see if I can. This year it is sugar and fluffy, yummy white bread. I am ok with the bread, but the sugar is tough.

message 15: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments ohmy, I wouldn't be able to give up sugar. Isn't that in basically everything?

I find that it never works for me to just swear off something, so I usually just eat in moderation.

message 16: by Heather (new)

Haha. Sorry Darcy. How about this - Yummy green beans!!! =)

message 17: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Ew, something green -_-

Cucumbers are the best though!

message 18: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments Darcy wrote: "You guys are killing me with your cookie talk. I gave up all sweets and sugar for Lent. I am not Catholic, but I try to give up something every year just to see if I can. This year it is sugar a..."

You can make things with Stevia. It has no fat, calories, or carbs. You only need about 1/4 of it compared to what you would use in sugar.

My main problem is that I don't eat. I can't eat grains, soy, flavour enhancers, or anything artificial. It's really hard to find foods I can eat on the go. Not to mention I get sick of the things I can eat. So during the day when I'm busy I usually don't eat. It's horrible. I don't do it on purpose, but I literally forget. Like today, I have been up for over 2 hours and I haven't eaten anything because I haven't thought about it till now. Not eating is just as bad as overeating. When you don't eat your body stores fat thinking it's starving. I have gained quite a bit of weight from this. I am trying to remind myself to eat though. I've been a bit better lately.

As for being active, I like to use the wii. I have wii fit, but I admit I don't use it that often. So far my routine is to warm up with tennis, then I go on to boxing, then Just Dance. I am pooped after and I feel it all over my body. For my birthday I asked for a raiser for the balance board (for better results with Step aerobics and kickboxing), a wireless nunchuck, and Dancing with the Stars game. I find to do a lot of the dance moves you need to be wireless.

Because of all the activities I can do on the wii I don't get bored. I just change the game. I recommend one to anybody that is even thinking of getting one. Otherwise, I bought these dance DVDs (core rhythms)that worked amazing! They worked you really hard, but since the wii I haven't used them. I enjoy the wii much more, although I think the DVDs actually worked me harder. Maybe I should start to rotate between the two.

message 19: by Heather (new)

I always wanted to try the dancing with the stars game. I use to do ballroom dancing. I loved it, but it gets expensive fast.

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary | 9 comments I have the first wii fit game and not the second. I have been thinking about getting the second here lately though, because I have been using the wii fit more now. My only complaint that I have about it, and Carrie you mentioned it, I find it doesn't not work you all that hard. I usually don't exercise all that much, so I figure some light exercise is better then not moving at all.

When I do exercise regularly I switch off between the wii fit and a stationary bike that I have.

Does anyone have the newer wii fit version and if they do can you tell me what stuff is on it. I was just curious as to what different exercises they had on it.

message 21: by Heather (new)

There's one game that supposedly kicks everyone's butt, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. I'll let you know if I think about it.

message 22: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments The obstacle course is really good, and so is the chicken one. IMO those are the best, but I haven't ried them all.

message 23: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I'm thinking of getting a wii :)

I didn't think the wii fit worked though...I thought it was just a marketing stunt or something, lol.

message 24: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments I guess it depends on what you're doing. I feel it in my body after doing the hoola hoop for a while. It gets pretty repetitive though.

message 25: by Heather (new)

There's supposed to be something with squats and lunges and boxing and all that that's pretty hard at first. Maybe you already have it.

message 26: by Mary (new)

Mary | 9 comments Yeah the hoola hoop works you. But I get tired of that because its repetitive. I do the yogaa and exercise stuff. I like the step areobics.

message 27: by Heather (new)

I need a wii. My mom sent me a check to buy one for Christmas, but I paid bills instead. You can't send me money if you want me to use it on something specific. =) It'll go to bills or books.

message 28: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments Yeah, I'm the same way.

For anybody interested in a really good work out here is the website for the DVDs I was talking about: www.corerhythms.com

You can probably buy them used at Amazon or Ebay for a decent price.

message 29: by Heather (last edited Apr 03, 2010 09:17PM) (new)

I found the best salad EVER! It's at a place called Abuelos. Being from So Cal originally it's not a good Mexican place, but for the south it is. They have a salad with grilled chicken, mandarin oranges, toasted caramelized almonds, tomatoes, golden raisins and avocado slices. I got it with a raspberry vinaigrette. Normally I get bored with salads, but I've been craving this one every other day for more than a month now. I think I love it because I don't feel like I'm eating lettuce and a random tomato. If I could eat this daily I think I'd put away the candy bars.

message 30: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I love the store Red Mango :) They are a yogurt place that adds different toppings to yogurt to make it amazing! I think it's called fro-yo :) I LOVE their strawberries and godiva dark chocolate combo! And it's really healthy. =] I think they are pretty expensive though. =/ But it's so worth it! :)

message 31: by Heather (new)

For some reason yogurt made me think of gelato and now I have a huge craving. Too bad I can't exactly fly to Italy to get the good stuff.

message 32: by Heather (last edited May 04, 2010 09:39PM) (new)

So, I went running two days ago and didn't meet my goal. My goal is like make it down 2 streets (although 1 is longer then your probably assuming). I didn't make it because I tried to match my great dane's pace and the minute I sped up she started galloping and after chasing after her (having been forced to let go of the leash or meet the asphalt) I was exauhsted. I still walked further in my neighborhood than normal and was really sore afterward.
So, today, my calves still burning, I forced myself to go out again. This time I met my goal and went a little further. I'm happy I pushed myself and Sadie. She started getting tired and trying to slow down and I normally would have used it as an excuse to quit.
I'd like to push further, but the rest of my neighborhood is hills and the minute I try to run up a hill it hurts.
I'm trying to think of things to do on my vacation that will keep me moving. I'll be horseback ridding on Friday hopefully, for at least 3 hours, so that will definitely hurt since I haven't been on a horse in 4 years.
Then I'll either bowl or go shooting. (i needed something to do with my dad that doesn't involve killing fish.) Both aren't supper active, but muscles hurt if you stay for long enough. At least, my right side does.
Then the weekend will be museums and Disneyland. A lot of walking and standing. I'd like to do more, but I'm not missing my museums.
I'll just have to fill in 3 more days. Maybe kayaking?

message 33: by Heather (new)

Carrie, that workout looks fun. If I had 50 bucks I'd try it. I was thinking of just ordering dvds through blockbuster.

message 34: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) Currently, the only thing I am doing is walking 5 times a week. I walk in two sessions because of my knee. I can't go over 30 minutes without my knee screamiong at me. My bone doctor wants me to do water aerobic (low impact), but the chlorine makes me sick and I twisted my knee the last time I went. Walking will just have to do.

message 35: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments OMG! Horseback riding, kayaking (maybe), bowling, and museums? I am so jealous! I wish I could go horseback riding. I've only ever been on a horse once before, and from what I remember it was a lot of fun.

message 36: by Heather (new)

I use to go to camps every summer to go riding. It was great.

message 37: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments lucky =]

message 38: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments Sounds like fun Heather!

message 39: by Heather (new)

I'm more on the side of just wanting to be in shape. Weight isn't horrible if you're toned. Getting to the top of stairs without wanting to die is nice.

message 40: by Heather (new)

I beat my personal best when I decided to run at 4am this morning. (Was too wired to sleep.)
Then, I had to prop up my 100 pound dog for 40 minutes waiting for animal control to show up to help dislodge her leg from a fence she tried to climb over. Someone was nice enough to get me a chair, but I had both legs up the whole time trying to support her and it was definitely using my muscles.
I had planned to go run again this afternoon, but the dog drama and soreness from said drama kind of kept me indoors.

message 41: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2765 comments Heather wrote: "I beat my personal best when I decided to run at 4am this morning. (Was too wired to sleep.)
Then, I had to prop up my 100 pound dog for 40 minutes waiting for animal control to show up to help di..."

I know I shouldn't laugh, but your dog drama did make me giggle. I am glad to know both of you are alright.

message 42: by Heather (last edited May 21, 2010 08:33AM) (new)

This is from the first few minutes. Before I got ripped up by her nails and my muscles started giving out from holding her weight. She ended up with her chest on my legs. Her back leg was the one that's caught. It went through a hole in the far side of the fence and then came back around to the front where her paw was lodge between a link.

message 43: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2765 comments The poor thing!! At least you still have a smile on your face.

message 44: by Heather (new)

I did for the first 5 minutes after she got comfortable and stopped yelping. Then it started hurting and I got clawed to death and her weight started to hurt me. There was about 5 minutes of you dork, 5 minutes crying and the rest just thinking ouch! And, when is help coming?

message 45: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1745 comments Awwww, she must have been so scared. I am glad you both ended up ok though! :)

message 46: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) Heather, Your dog is adorable! Do you think that she is going to try to jump the fence again or has she learned her lesson?

I'm on vacation this coming week. I've been walking 50 minutes during the week days. I'm afraid that I won't get the walking in. I need that little exercise. Pumping blood up the legs is very important!

message 47: by Heather (new)

Oh, she'll definitely try and get her 100 pound butt over that fence again. Hence why she's laying at my feet looking pathetic right now since I won't let her in the backyard anymore. She doesn't go outside without supervision.

Good luck walking. I found that I did more on vacation than when home. A lot more!
I tried my first pilates video yesterday. I'm not sure. I don't feel good today so I'm not doing anything. I feel bad about that.

message 48: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I've just started eating oatmeal in an attempt to get healthy. I really must be out of my mind. I hate oatmeal! I am merely hoping that the oatmeal will suck some of the cholesterol out of my body.

My walking buddy is on vacation and I have been walking by myself. Usually I don't exercise while she's away.

message 49: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I like maple oatmeal. LOL. I have that 60 second microwavable one. (: It's really good. The name is Quaker Instant Oatmeal, Maple and Brown Sugar. Maybe you can try that one and see if you like it. =D

message 50: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2765 comments Paula wrote: "I've just started eating oatmeal in an attempt to get healthy. I really must be out of my mind. I hate oatmeal! I am merely hoping that the oatmeal will suck some of the cholesterol out of my body..."

Great job Paula!! I couldn't eat oatmeal even if you paid me to.

« previous 1 3