Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's February Reads

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3565 comments Only 12 books for February. The Olympics cut into my reading time!

Wicked Craving by G.A. McKevett WICKED CRAVING by G.A. McKevett: newest in Savannah Reid series. I always enjoy this series, and I liked this one, but something was "off" about it. It felt almost like someone else wrote it because the "voice" was different. A diet guru with questionable ethics has his "wife" turn up dead. Grade: 8

Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #5) by Blaize Clement RAINING CAT SITTERS & DOGS by Blaize Clement: newest in Dixie Hemingway series. This series has quickly become a favorite of mine. There's a great African gray parrot who's part of the story, along with some West coast gang members and people from Dixie's past. Grade: 9.5

The Dark Divine by Bree Despain THE DARK DIVINE by Bree Despain: YA fantasy with werewolves. I'm not usually much of a fan of werewolf stories, but I really liked this one. Grade: 9.5

Real Vampires Hate Their Thighs (Glory St. Claire, #5) by Gerry Bartlett REAL VAMPIRES HATE THEIR THIGHS by Gerry Bartlett: newest Glory St. Clair. I always enjoy a visit with the characters in these books, and this one didn't disappoint. Grade: 8

Tempest Rising (Jane True, #1) by Nicole Peeler TEMPEST RISING by Nicole Peeler: 1st in Jane True UF/mystery series. I hated the cover and the story wasn't much better! Grade: 3.5

First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost FIRST DROP OF CRIMSON by Jeaniene Frost: 1st in Night Huntress World series which is a spin-off from the Night Huntress series. This wasn't as good as the original series, but not a bad way to kill some time! Grade: 8

Ruined A Ghost Story by Paula Morris RUINED: A GHOST STORY by Paula Morris: another YA fantasy dealing with a ghost & a curse dating back to pre-Civil War New Orleans. Grade: 6

How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning Mystery, #1) by Penny Warner HOW TO HOST A KILLER PARTY by Penny Warner: 1st in Presley Parker Party Planning series. Didn't start out all that well for me, but it got lots better. Presley is hired to plan San Francisco's mayor's surprise wedding for his fiancee on Alcatraz. The would-be-bride turns up dead. Grade: 8

[image error] FALLEN by Lauren Kate: another YA fantasy. This one has gotten very mixed reviews, but I really liked it. This one deals with fallen angels. Grade: 9

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater SHIVER by Maggie Stiefvater: one more YA fantasy and the best book I've read so far this year. A VERY different take on werewolves and an excellent romantic tale. I can't recall the last time a book made me cry, but this one did. Grade: 10

The Seventh Witch (An Ophelia and Abby Mystery, Book 7) by Shirley Damsgaard THE SEVENTH WITCH by Shirley Damsgaard: 7th in Abby & Ophelia series, and by far the best of the 7. All the books in this series have been so-so for me until this one. Ophelia finally came into her own in a well told tale. Grade: 9.5

Sleeping With Anemone (Flower Shop Mystery, #9) by Kate Collins SLEEPING WITH ANEMONE by Kate Collins: I think this is the 9th in the Abby Shaw Flower Shop series. I like this series. They're quick reads with likeable characters. In this one Abby is trying to stop a big agribusiness dairy from setting up shop on the outskirts of town. Grade: 8

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments SHIVER by Maggie Stiefvater: one more YA fantasy and the best book I've read so far this year. A VERY different take on werewolves and an excellent romantic tale. I can't recall the last time a book made me cry, but this one did. Grade: 10

I've looked at this one several times. Maybe I'll have to give it a try.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13901 comments Melodie:
Great month! I am with Cheryl, Shiver looks intriguing!

Melodie wrote: "Only 12 books for February. The Olympics cut into my reading time!
SHIVER by Maggie Stiefvater: one more YA fantasy and the best book I've read so far this year. A VERY different take on werewolves and an excellent romantic tale. I can't recall the last time a book made me cry, but this one did. Grade: 10 "

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Melodie...I'm not a big fantasy fan, but I too have looked at Shiver several times. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3565 comments Cheryl, Ann & Mary, should you decide to give SHIVER a shot I hope you like it as much as I did! It has really stuck in my head!

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1562 comments I love G.A. McKevett too! But first I have to read A Body to Die For before I move on to Wicked Craving. I'm anxious to see if I feel the same way you did about the book. You had a very good month ;)

message 7: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3445 comments Need to catch up with McKevett's series. I picked up a few at the ubs last summer and haven't gotten to them yet. So only read the first one so far. Maybe the second not sure.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments I picked upShiver today. Small world :-)

I read the acknowledgement page. The author's agent is Laura Rennert who just happens to be Mrs. Barry Eisler.

message 9: by Melodie (last edited Mar 02, 2010 03:40PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3565 comments Cheryl wrote: "I picked upShiver today. Small world :-)

I read the acknowledgement page. The author's agent is Laura Rennert who just happens to be Mrs. Barry Eisler."

That's interesting! I didn't know Barry's wife was an agent. She should get some mileage out of this author. As popular as SHIVER has been I imagine LINGER, the next one, will be greatly anticipated.

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments That's interesting! I didn't know Barry's wife was an agent.

Laura does mostly children's and YA titles. She wrote a book this fall illustrated by Marc Brown called Buying, Training & Caring for Your Dinosaur