Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Foreign Films > Priceless

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel i have a girl crush on audrey tatou. ever since "amelie" came out, i have thought she is the cutest, most adorable actress. a few days ago i watched another movie featuring her called "priceless." here's the netflix description:

Irène (Audrey Tautou), who makes a fortune sweet-talking rich men, puts the moves on klutzy Jean (Gad Elmaleh), unaware that he's just a hotel bartender. But by the time Irène realizes her mistake, Jean is hopelessly smitten with her. Letting men down easy has never been Irène's strong suit, but she finds a way to mend Jean's broken heart that ensures he'll never have to mix cocktails again.

this movie was so funny and charming - i loved it. if you liked "amelie," i know you'll love it.

message 2: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10544 comments tatou is cute, to be sure; i also liked her in pretty dirty things, a pretty gritty film that showed me she had a lot more range than a girl that can look cute. kind of a dumb title, but a good psychological thriller.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel i'll have to check it out! (and yeah, that title is horrible! hahaha.)

message 4: by Phillip (last edited Mar 01, 2010 11:46PM) (new)

Phillip | 10544 comments the title almost kept me from seeing the film. i really liked it and i remember writing a review of it (this was a few years ago) and saying, "don't let the title keep you from seeing this movie."

message 5: by Phillip (last edited Mar 04, 2010 10:20AM) (new)

Phillip | 10544 comments i watched priceless last night. it's cute and has a rather predictable ending. i can't put it on the same shelf as amelie, which has a great deal more charm and an utterly unique style.

message 6: by Sooz (last edited Mar 04, 2010 09:44AM) (new)

Sooz Pretty Dirty Things takes a hard look at the costs inflicted on those coming to a privileged country (in this case Great Britian). the characters want a chance. that's all. just a chance to make a better safer life for themselves, but the dominating culture takes advantage of that, creating ethical dilemmas for those seeking refuge. it is a such a powerful movie. just excellent.

and as Phillip mentioned, Tatou shows us she can take on a grittier role - that she is a lot more than a cute actress.

message 7: by Phillip (last edited Mar 04, 2010 10:21AM) (new)

Phillip | 10544 comments glad you liked it too, sooz. i wish ms tatou would get more roles like that. alas, the world just wants to see a beautiful woman look pretty. it's too much for these numbskulls to consider they might actually have other talents.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel yes, it is definitely a bit predictable (though, i thought "amelie" was as well), but i thought it had a lot of charm. i've added "pretty dirty things" to my netflix list and i'm excited to watch it. :)

message 9: by Phillip (last edited Mar 09, 2010 11:19AM) (new)

Phillip | 10544 comments whatever predictability amelie had, it was wrapped so wonderfully in an infectious giddiness that i didn't mind.

don't get me wrong, i am glad i watched priceless - it was sweet and i liked the male lead - not your typical leading male role. he had a sensitivity that i appreciated, and i liked the way tatou melted her gold digger role and became more human throughout the film. and the whole bit of her teaching him to take advantage of his older lover was amusing.