Short Story lovers discussion

Discussion Story "Death By Scrabble"

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jennifer (last edited Mar 03, 2010 04:09PM) (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 51 comments This is the March discussion story. It's from short-stories.co.uk.

Death By Scrabble
or
Tile M For Murder by Charlie Fish

It's a hot day and I hate my wife.

We're playing Scrabble. That's how bad it is. I'm 42 years old, it's a blistering hot Sunday afternoon and all I can think of to do with my life is to play Scrabble.

I should be out, doing exercise, spending money, meeting people. I don't think I've spoken to anyone except my wife since Thursday morning. On Thursday morning I spoke to the milkman.

My letters are crap.

I play, appropriately, BEGIN. With the N on the little pink star. Twenty-two points.

I watch my wife's smug expression as she rearranges her letters. Clack, clack, clack. I hate her. If she wasn't around, I'd be doing something interesting right now. I'd be climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. I'd be starring in the latest Hollywood blockbuster. I'd be sailing the Vendee Globe on a 60-foot clipper called the New Horizons - I don't know, but I'd be doing something.

She plays JINXED, with the J on a double-letter score. 30 points. She's beating me already. Maybe I should kill her.

If only I had a D, then I could play MURDER. That would be a sign. That would be permission.

I start chewing on my U. It's a bad habit, I know. All the letters are frayed. I play WARMER for 22 points, mainly so I can keep chewing on my U.

As I'm picking new letters from the bag, I find myself thinking - the letters will tell me what to do. If they spell out KILL, or STAB, or her name, or anything, I'll do it right now. I'll finish her off.

My rack spells MIHZPA. Plus the U in my mouth. Damn.

The heat of the sun is pushing at me through the window. I can hear buzzing insects outside. I hope they're not bees. My cousin Harold swallowed a bee when he was nine, his throat swelled up and he died. I hope that if they are bees, they fly into my wife's throat.

She plays SWEATIER, using all her letters. 24 points plus a 50 point bonus. If it wasn't too hot to move I would strangle her right now.

I am getting sweatier. It needs to rain, to clear the air. As soon as that thought crosses my mind, I find a good word. HUMID on a double-word score, using the D of JINXED. The U makes a little splash of saliva when I put it down. Another 22 points. I hope she has lousy letters.

< 2 >
She tells me she has lousy letters. For some reason, I hate her more.

She plays FAN, with the F on a double-letter, and gets up to fill the kettle and turn on the air conditioning.

It's the hottest day for ten years and my wife is turning on the kettle. This is why I hate my wife. I play ZAPS, with the Z doubled, and she gets a static shock off the air conditioning unit. I find this remarkably satisfying.

She sits back down with a heavy sigh and starts fiddling with her letters again. Clack clack. Clack clack. I feel a terrible rage build up inside me. Some inner poison slowly spreading through my limbs, and when it gets to my fingertips I am going to jump out of my chair, spilling the Scrabble tiles over the floor, and I am going to start hitting her again and again and again.

The rage gets to my fingertips and passes. My heart is beating. I'm sweating. I think my face actually twitches. Then I sigh, deeply, and sit back into my chair. The kettle starts whistling. As the whistle builds it makes me feel hotter.

She plays READY on a double-word for 18 points, then goes to pour herself a cup of tea. No I do not want one.

I steal a blank tile from the letter bag when she's not looking, and throw back a V from my rack. She gives me a suspicious look. She sits back down with her cup of tea, making a cup-ring on the table, as I play an 8-letter word: CHEATING, using the A of READY. 64 points, including the 50-point bonus, which means I'm beating her now.

She asks me if I cheated.

I really, really hate her.

She plays IGNORE on the triple-word for 21 points. The score is 153 to her, 155 to me.

The steam rising from her cup of tea makes me feel hotter. I try to make murderous words with the letters on my rack, but the best I can do is SLEEP.

My wife sleeps all the time. She slept through an argument our next-door neighbours had that resulted in a broken door, a smashed TV and a Teletubby Lala doll with all the stuffing coming out. And then she bitched at me for being moody the next day from lack of sleep.

< 3 >
If only there was some way for me to get rid of her.

I spot a chance to use all my letters. EXPLODES, using the X of JINXED. 72 points. That'll show her.

As I put the last letter down, there is a deafening bang and the air conditioning unit fails.

My heart is racing, but not from the shock of the bang. I don't believe it - but it can't be a coincidence. The letters made it happen. I played the word EXPLODES, and it happened - the air conditioning unit exploded. And before, I played the word CHEATING when I cheated. And ZAP when my wife got the electric shock. The words are coming true. The letters are choosing their future. The whole game is - JINXED.

My wife plays SIGN, with the N on a triple-letter, for 10 points.

I have to test this.

I have to play something and see if it happens. Something unlikely, to prove that the letters are making it happen. My rack is ABQYFWE. That doesn't leave me with a lot of options. I start frantically chewing on the B.

I play FLY, using the L of EXPLODES. I sit back in my chair and close my eyes, waiting for the sensation of rising up from my chair. Waiting to fly.

Stupid. I open my eyes, and there's a fly. An insect, buzzing around above the Scrabble board, surfing the thermals from the tepid cup of tea. That proves nothing. The fly could have been there anyway.

I need to play something unambiguous. Something that cannot be misinterpreted. Something absolute and final. Something terminal. Something murderous.

My wife plays CAUTION, using a blank tile for the N. 18 points.

My rack is AQWEUK, plus the B in my mouth. I am awed by the power of the letters, and frustrated that I cannot wield it. Maybe I should cheat again, and pick out the letters I need to spell SLASH or SLAY.

Then it hits me. The perfect word. A powerful, dangerous, terrible word.

I play QUAKE for 19 points.

I wonder if the strength of the quake will be proportionate to how many points it scored. I can feel the trembling energy of potential in my veins. I am commanding fate. I am manipulating destiny.

My wife plays DEATH for 34 points, just as the room starts to shake.

I gasp with surprise and vindication - and the B that I was chewing on gets lodged in my throat. I try to cough. My face goes red, then blue. My throat swells. I draw blood clawing at my neck. The earthquake builds to a climax.

I fall to the floor. My wife just sits there, watching.

message 2: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 51 comments Have we stopped the monthly discussions?

message 3: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 132 comments Well, it´s amusing, but hardly substantial. What more can I say about this one. Clever, but nothing more.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol | 13 comments I didn't care for this one. It rang sort of sexist to me, and I just found it a little too cute, or something.

message 5: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Wyss | 171 comments I'm planning to read and comment, but I'm in the middle of exams week here--drowning for the next few days.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Antenen | 139 comments Sorry, but I didn't have anything good to say. Let me try to say something. This is a throwaway story, a "Let's see,I think I'll write a murder story about . . . (writer looks around and sees an unfinished game on the table). . . Scrabble today.' It didn't work as a 'story,' so it should have been thrown away as a failed exercise in writing. I find myself resentful when an author tries to pass off everything that comes through his/her pen or keyboard as worth someone else's time.

message 7: by CasualDebris (new)

CasualDebris | 20 comments I was amused. A quick read, tightly done for what it is, but hardly a story. Though amused when I read it, I will likely forget about it as soon as something else enters my brain.

...What were we talking about?

message 8: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 132 comments Zybahn.

Then I won´t remind you what we were talking about. Well, what were we talking about?

message 9: by Geoff (last edited Mar 18, 2010 04:53AM) (new)

Geoff Wyss | 171 comments Eek. I'm afraid the most charitable thing I can say is that it's silly. I hope it wants to be seen as silly at least; if it wants to be taken seriously, I'd have all kinds of problems with it, artistic and moral. It's an unfortunate confluence of two tendencies young male writers often exhibit in their apprentice efforts: 1) misogyny, which for some reason men who haven't had serious relationships yet think makes their fiction sound 'adult'; and 2) a cheap, lazy discarding of the rules that govern reality. When I read a piece like this, my assumption is always that the writer doesn't have the chops to make believable something that's not "weird."

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Antenen | 139 comments I've been feeling bad about my dismissal of this as a story so I read it again and although I still feel it's a throw-away exercise, if the letter 'b' in-the- mouth reference and the last two paragraphs are deleted, I could see it as a passable silly story.

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol | 13 comments You know, it WOULD be better without the last two paragraphs!

message 12: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 51 comments Hi everyone. I had planned to just sit back while everyone else voiced their opinion and maybe just explain why I had chosen this story if asked. But I'm so surprised by accusations of this story or writer being "misogynistic" and "sexist" that I feel the need to address that. It makes me think that the readers who have used those words are unaware of their definition. Misogyny means the hatred of women. All women, simply for being women. Not a certain woman and not a woman that you've known for years and developed ill feelings for. Misogyny is hatred of ALL women.
The man in the story hated his wife and wanted her to die. Never in the story does he say, "I wish all women died." If we are going to label every writer who uses this plot a misogynist then we would have to call Francis Iles (Anthony Berkeley Cox), author of the classic mystery "Malice Aforethought" sexist. And how about Agatha Christie, who wrote "Endless Night"? She may have been a woman herself, but she wrote of a husband murdering his wife, so by this theory she must be a misogynist.
Are you more comfortable with a wife murdering a husband then? Should we be outraged by "The Postman Always Rings Twice" or "Double Indemnity", or is that okay?
Also, the author of this story is a gay man. Should we be judging him on his choice to write about a straight married couple?
And no, I'm not comparing the literary worth of this story to the great I've mentioned. I'm just saying that sometimes readers are looking for what isn't there.

message 13: by Chris (last edited Mar 18, 2010 02:25PM) (new)

Chris Antenen | 139 comments Jennifer, You surely got us 'discussing.' I didn't find the misogyny or sexism and I think others mentioned it trying to figure out the theme, but I did wonder about the author so I did a search and found his site. I read Baggio's Story (a little Camus-ish,) and also read all the comments about it. It's hard to have a discussion with 'beautiful' 'wow' or 'I enjoyed it,' etc. I think most of us want a thoughtful evaluation of the story, something to think about, even if we're all totally at odds. You probably do also. The fact that some of us found the story silly and unfinished is relevant to a discussion. The fact that he's a gay man is irrelevant. A relationship is a relationship. Two men could play scrabble and have the same thoughts. In your message you said 'maybe just explain why I had chosen this story if asked.' So, I'm asking -- and really curious because I can tell by your comments that you usually have a reason and think things through -- why did you choose this story/author? Can you recommend other stories by him that you particularly liked? What did you think about this story?

message 14: by Carol (last edited Mar 18, 2010 02:40PM) (new)

Carol | 13 comments A protagonist who wants to murder his wife for no apparent or stated reason other than "She's annoying and she weighs me down and she makes tea when it's hot out" strikes me as a protagonist who is inherently an immature woman-hater, and whom I find it hard to sympathize with. Yet it does seem, does it not, that we are meant to sympathize? That's off-putting, for me.

But I suppose, in a way, that "dated" might be a slightly better word. It sort of reminds me of The Lockhorns--remember that old comic, about the married couple who furiously hate each other? Never found that amusing, either.

It seems, in part, to be a story about how marriage to women traps and destroys a man.

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris Antenen | 139 comments 'The Lockhorns' has a web site, so I guess it's not dated yet, Carol.

message 16: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 51 comments Hi Chris- My choice of this story is as simple as the fact that it made me laugh. I enjoyed it, that's all. I like more complex stories too (my favorite is Stephen Vincent Benet) but I can also enjoy a simple, straight-forward story just as much. I had never heard of the author before finding this story. I just liked that it had a dark humor that I enjoy and I really didn't want to put up something depressing or pretentious. I don't think the author was trying to change the world with this story but I thought it worthy of attention.

Hi Carol- no, I didn't sympathize with the man in the story and it never occurred to me that I was suppose to. He wants to kill his wife. I also don't see his hatred of this one woman to be meant to encompass the way all men see marriage. I don't see this story to have any ambitions to such a broad subject. I understood the man's rage at minor things like his wife's tea to be a red herring. He isn't discussing the real reasons he wants her dead, possibly because he's just a malcontent who can't face his own shortcomings. I thought his rage was a matter of him being immature until I read his wife's lack of reaction at the end. I liked that the feeling turned out to be mutual.
Chris- This is the only story by this author that I've read. However, if you're a fan of dark humor I highly recommend something along the same subject matter- "The Murder of My Aunt" by Richard Hull.

message 17: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Wyss | 171 comments Well, thanks for the vocabulary lesson, but I know what "misogyny" means, and I think this story is guilty of it. As Carol pointed out, a piece of fiction doesn't have to declare "I hate all women" to be misogynistic. If stories had to baldly state their themes, they would no longer be stories, but essays.

And you can't defend a story by reference to the author's personal situation. The author's being gay has nothing to do with anything--the work has to live or die on its merits, not with the help of the author's race or gender or political affiliations or perceived special sympathies with some other demographic. (And by the way, if you think gay men can't be misogynists, you haven't met enough of them.)

I was nasty to the story because I think the story is nasty-spirited, and a second read hasn't made me feel differently.

message 18: by CasualDebris (new)

CasualDebris | 20 comments I too am not clear as to where misogyny is reflected in the text. Perhaps someone can enlighten us? However I don't think a person's sexual orientation can exonerate them from misogyny or any form of aggression--it's really beside the point.

I don't think the narrator really wants his wife dead, nor that it is a main point here. Let's leave the story within its own context: It's a hot day & the narrator is simply over-steamed & irritable. On any other day he might be completely content with the woman he married, but he is on this particular day & at this particular moments simply venting his ill-humour. This does not make him (nor the author) a misogynist, nor an actual murderer. Moreover, the fantasy elements may only exist within the confines of his over-stimulated imagination.

I was not overly-taken with the story simply because it is fleeting, though as I said earlier I was amused. It's like walking down the street & seeing a pretty face. You look at that face, enjoy it for fifteen seconds, & fifteen seconds later you forget about it. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever, since fifteen seconds of prettiness can sometimes cure an hour of agony.

message 19: by Carol (new)

Carol | 13 comments I have to say that I agree that the story is nasty-spirited, and I will add that it takes a lot to make me like a nasty-spirited piece. (Maybe I'm a bit of a goody two-shoes.) And I find the idea that the narrator might be completely content with his wife at some other time to be a bit of a stretch, honestly. I mean, maybe, but that would be a strange and unreliable narrator, and I'd need some more information to figure that person out or believe in him. We aren't given that information here.

I also agree with Geoff about the "lazy discarding of the rules that govern reality." In the end, this may be the thing that bothers me the most about the story. Of course, magical realism can be done well, but I admit that I tend to be especially suspicious of short stories that employ it. I generally need some time to buy into something like that.

message 20: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 51 comments Actually, the story would have to show a hatred of women in general to be misogynistic. Anger towards a certain woman is not misogyny. That called "Not Liking Her" and everyone walking this earth has met a woman they haven't liked. That's just life.
What we have here is one person wanting to kill another person for reasons that we don't know, but at no time is it said or implied that it's because of gender. If someone is seeing this story about two people as a representative of how all men see all women, then there's just nothing I can say. I just don't think so.
I'm still curious though, are the people who see sexism in this story also offended when the anger is directed towards a man as in the books I noted earlier?
This discussion is reminding me a one that has been going on at another book site I visit. A reader announced that she believes that when a writer includes violence in their books that they are living out their own perversions on the page.Really. What would we be left with if all books were about people getting along just fine?
The reason I mentioned this author's sexuality was not to "defend" him, to say that he couldn't be sexist, as of course that is possible.I don't know the guy ( but I will mention that I've worked in the cosmetic industry for over 20 years and have worked and befriended lots and lots and lots of gay men. You really couldn't have picked a more unlikely person to make that comment to, lol). I mentioned it because he was writing about a situation that he may have never been involved in himself,like wishing to murder someone, which is what the story is about. So why expect that because this fictional husband hated his fictional wife that the actual person who wrote it must hate women? Even if the author had spent the whole story saying, "I hate women, I hate women," I wouldn't label the author a misogynist. Aren't half the novels about serial killers about men killing women? It is fiction, and to label the author a misogynist is unfair and irresponsible. If a writer feels that that their name will be slandered, especially for something they haven't done, what incentive is there to put out imaginative work? Might as well write toaster instructions.

message 21: by Geoffrey (last edited Mar 19, 2010 03:58PM) (new)

Geoffrey | 132 comments I sensed two influences here at work in this story, that Robin William´s flic JUMANJI and a silly, vapid, extremely misogynist and nasty film by Danny DeVito with Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner.
As I said before, this story was clever but matches the vacuity of the DeVito flic.

message 22: by Geoff (last edited Mar 22, 2010 09:39AM) (new)

Geoff Wyss | 171 comments jennifer wrote: "Actually, the story would have to show a hatred of women in general to be misogynistic. Anger towards a certain woman is not misogyny. That called "Not Liking Her" and everyone walking this earth h..."

I'm going to bow out of this argument. There's nothing to be gained from us continuing to say the same things to each other. I'll only add that--speaking as a writer now, one who's published a novel and a fair number of short stories--I have never expected my work (and by extension, myself) to be exempt from criticism on moral grounds just because I write fiction.

message 23: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Wyss | 171 comments Or, well, since I don't seem to be bowing out, I'll say this: I agree with one thing you said, Jennifer. A writer absolutely has the right to imagine himself into any situation and to write about it. I'm writing a novel with a female main character, and only someone who doesn't know anything about writing or reading would tell me I shouldn't do that. But I can do it skillfully and responsibily, or I can make a hash of it. The reason I find it fair to call “Tile M for Murder” misognynistic—to be more specific than I have been so far—is that it contains no real indication that we aren’t supposed to sympathize with the narrator in his homicidal fantasies. The slightest bit of verbal irony would have done the trick, but there's none here. In addition, the wife is a null set as a character, which means we don't have her as a repository for our stunned sensibilities. The story, in short, seems to enjoy the violence it meditates. I'm not equating the story to 'Saw VI,' but I'm uninterested in it for similar reasons.

message 24: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Wyss | 171 comments And I would actually guess that a lot more than half of the novels about serial killers depict men killing women, probably more like 98%, but I also have a moral problem with those books and the people who read them—that kind of book bears the same resemblance to literature as pornography does to serious photography. It’s escapist poison, created and consumed by people who hate life.

And it's simply not true that a story has to express a hatred of women in general to be misogynistic. With all due respect, that just isn't how art works. You'd labor in vain to find a sentence anywhere in Hemingway that says, "I, Ernest Hemingway, think women are inferior," but that's clearly how he feels, and it isn't slander to say so. If a story revels in the abuse (or, here, imagined abuse) of a female character in ways having primarily to do with her gender—and notice that most of the narrator's fantasies involve overmastering his wife physically, in ways that evoke classic acts of spousal abuse, which is almost always perpetrated by men against women—then it's fair to call the story misognynistic.

My bigger problem with the story, the way I think it plays most unfair with the reader—agreeing with Carol here—is the way it jimmies with reality. But I won't open that can of worms if you don't.

message 25: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Wyss | 171 comments Sorry I posted all that in pieces. I was having trouble with my connection.

message 26: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Wyss | 171 comments Sorry I posted all that in pieces. I was having trouble with my connection.

message 27: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 51 comments Hi Geoff,
To continue our battle-
If you read the story, just the story and not what you feel is implied, at no time does the wife seem frightened of or threatened by her husband. In fact, by reading the last line we realize that she probably harbored the same feelings for her husband that he had for her. You have every right to say, "I wish I had been given the thoughts of the wife too, because, in my opinion, it would have made a better story." But the author has a right to create the story the way he wants. And saying that the author was immoral by doing that? Come on. They're sitting down to play a game of Scrabble together. Doesn't that sort of set the tone for ridiculousness?

In my eyes, morality has very little place in fiction. I have come across a few things that bother me,

***SPOILER***

such as the treatment of animals in "The Island of Dr. Moreau". I almost stopped reading it, but I stayed with it because I knew that Wells had a point to the animals being included. And at no time did it make me think that Wells was writing on the subject of medical experiments because he was hurting animals in his personal life.
It wouldn't even cross my mind to label him as a bad person because I didn't enjoy all that he wrote. If the writing is good I'm usually willing to go along with the story an author wants to tell.

Something to consider when pronouncing that one thing or another is "poison, created and consumed by people who hate life.", is that you may not be the harbinger of good taste and morality yourself. Clearly, if everyone agreed on what's good and moral then there would be just a few authors, a few musicians, one religion and the laws would be the same across America.Secondly, there are about 2000 years worth of works by humanity, and many of those books, paintings and photos were created before equality for all existed. Who can even guess what percentage would be left if someone set themselves up to be the judge of what was offensive? When it comes to fiction, just about the only thing that I resent is when I can tell a writer is frightened, usually about being un-PC. I spent several years running writer's groups and editing a literary magazine, and it's sadly obvious when a writer is leading the reader to a complexity and then suddenly veers away. It's especially hard to see a new writer who does produce courageous work but gets called out by others who want to be the PC police. You say that you don't think you should be exempt from criticism on moral grounds just because you're writing fiction. I feel it's the other way round. There are so many people with so many agendas that it's next to impossible not to hear back from someone who found the most innocent sentence to be offensive. How can a writer write if they always feel the hot breath of the potentially offended on their shoulder?

No, about the only things I see as offenses are in the non-fiction area. Lying, making up data, making up sources and knowingly plagiarizing are where my morals in writing and reading come into play. If someone wants to read or write about serial killers, have at it. The topic and the knowledge certainly doesn't harm anyone. Actually killing does though.
And as far as Hemingway goes, he lived in a different era. His attitude towards women wasn't uncommon at all, I'm not going to waste my time being offended by it because then, as a woman and from an often maligned ethnic group, I would have to be offended by a good chunk of the history of mankind. Who wants to be that paranoid?

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris Antenen | 139 comments According to my list the next two are AJ and John. If they are no longer in the group, I think I'm next. I'll wait a day or so and then suggest a story. It's been so good to have a real discussion going. I hate it when everybody agrees!

message 29: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 51 comments It makes things interesting, Chris, and I look forward to reading your choice!

message 30: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 132 comments Jennifer
I am the other Geoffrey so please dont get us confused. Pardon the indiscretions of bad punctuation but my computer keyboard is not aligned to the correct punctuation marks, if at all.
I disagree to some extent with both of you. It did cross my mind in reading the short story that the writer was a misogynist, but I let it go. As I said before, I was more concerned about the lack of insight or revelation as to why the two disliked each other so much. So much was compromised away in the story in its effort to highlight its cleverness. Either that or the author has no insights to offer. Perhaps the latter. This was my principle objection, not the latent woman hating that I correctly or incorrectly detected.
Yes, we do give writers moral license to bring their personal values to their tales. What happened to Rushdie was intolerable in a democratic world. But yet each of us do make moral choices all the time. Personally, I don[t like Henry James DAISY MILLER for his poor perspective on women[s independence. He had a younger relative in his caretaking who took daring chances in Victorian times, that by today[s standards would be commonplace. A woman travels to the Roman Coliseum without a chaperone. The story is a tale of caution for his niece, a warning before I TOLD YOU SO to a young woman who he believes to be headed for difficulties in life for her brazen ways. James is an old fuddy duddy and despite his great command of the language and narrative style, is not a person who I wish to continue reading. His mores are clearly fXXXXX uX.

message 31: by Chris (new)

Chris Antenen | 139 comments I went back and read all these comments and the only one that struck me as absolutely weird was Goeffrey's comment about The War of the Roses. He thought it was nasty. I thought it was hilarious. Generationsl difference?

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris Antenen | 139 comments I've chosen this story mainly because it's accessible on the internet. I had others in mind and maybe we ought to talk about availability if we go on with this group.

Since I'm Illinois born (lived there 31 years) but have spent the rest of my life in the South, I wanted to use a Southern writer. Of course there's Flannery, but also Eudora Welty who writes in that style. Specifically I wanted to choose Ferrol Sams and THE WIDOW'S MITE, but I couldn't find it online. So I've chosen another Southern writer, like Welty born in Mississippi, Faulkner and A ROSE FOR EMILY. I can never decide if this is the first iteration of this twisted tale or the last, but anyway it's fun to read and I think most of you will like it--in fact, most of you have probably read it. You can find it at the following link. http://www.moonstar.com/~acpjr/Blackb...
Don't groan. You almost got Rikki Tikki Tavi.

message 33: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 132 comments Hardly generational, Chris. I am 59 years of age.

message 34: by Chris (new)

Chris Antenen | 139 comments That young, Geoffrey?

message 35: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 132 comments Sorry. I thought you were younger. I should`ve enlarged your foto.

message 36: by Geroge (new)

Geroge Simoncau | 1 comments HAHAHA sexist? misogynistic? you are all retarded. Get of your computers and get a life. you are honestly pathetic, it is disgusting.

message 37: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Wyss | 171 comments Is that a real person? As in a person with a brain? Go find somewhere else to be an idiot, sir.

message 38: by Geoffrey (last edited Jul 18, 2012 06:18PM) (new)

Geoffrey | 132 comments The troll doesn`t even know how to spell his own mane, and he would have a hard time rearranging the letters in my mispelling. So let him stick around, Geoff, and we could give him an outstanding education. "Get of" should read "get off" and he would learn to capitalize the first letter in a sentence.

message 39: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Wyss | 171 comments That must have just been a drive-by....

message 40: by CasualDebris (new)

CasualDebris | 20 comments Too funny.

Incidentally, this short story was printed last year in an issue of Dark Moon Digest.