For The L♥ve of Reading discussion

2010 Threads *Old* > Just Talking ----> March

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, these two months have really flown by. I can't believe it is March already.

message 2: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ March means spring is soon to arrive. I am looking forward to spring break which means I can relax and read, read, read!!

message 3: by Miss (last edited Mar 02, 2010 11:32AM) (new)

Miss (godblesseveryone) | 6 comments Sorry for not being up here on the group that much. Will try to participate. Hope you are blessed always and get an A on your project!!!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Spring also means slush and mud. I always wish I could skip that part of the season. But it is so nice to have the air feel warm.

Thanks for the luck. I think that we have already achieved the grade. She was just shocked by how many people joined and so quickly.

message 5: by Karli (new)

Karli (goodreadscomkarli_is_booked) Good for you, Elyssa!

Spring here means flooding. Last year Fargo (the city 70 miles south) nearly went under. My city (Grand Forks, ND) was devasated in 1997 by the river, but since then we've gotten flood protection. Last year Fargo used 1 million (not exaggerating) sandbags to save the city. They are already filling them again. It's a tense 6 - 8 weeks around here.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I wish you all the best out there. Two Year ago I visited Bismark and last year I went south and hit Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. The teacher said that my boys talked more about those huge rocks then they did Disney. HMMM... Camping is way cheaper =)

What was I getting at? Oh, it is a beautiful area and I'd hate to see it go under.

message 7: by KSMary (new)

KSMary I am leaving for Europe in 11 days!

Elyssa - We've been intending to go to Mt. Rushmore for the past few years but haven't gotten there yet and I even grew up in Nebraska. About the only time that really would work for us is August and then you run into Sturgis so you can't get a hotel anywhere for miles.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I believe it. Sturgis is wild a crazy.

Have fun in Europe. Which countries are you hitting?

message 9: by **Carla** (new)

**Carla** I could feel spring today!!!!! I was so exciting to go driving today and turn the heater off AND roll down the window. It was great!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Not quit that nice here in Wisconsin. I was super warm however, there was a chill in the air. I had to scrap ice off my windows this morning.

message 11: by KSMary (new)

KSMary The temps here were in the 40's. Still chilly but sunny.

We are going to Paris; Lucerne, Switzerland and Munich, Germany. We leave on the 14th. I am so excited!

Mary

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I would be excited.

Did you read anything to prepare for your travels? Maybe a backpackers travel story?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I just handed my boys new workbooks from the store. You know those ones that are fun but they actually learn about multiplications and phonics. They have been quite for 15 mins so far. Oh, Happy Day. I remember getting those. I thought they were fun and didn't realize that I was being duped into learning at the same time. They are just awesome. I'll be buying more, more often.

message 14: by KSMary (new)

KSMary Hmmm. Learning can be fun? LOL My daughter and I were talking today about someone's last name and she said "It means morning star. See, I learn something from all the books I read."

No, I haven't had time to read anything for a few weeks. My job keeps me really busy this time of year.

Mary

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I just acquired a fish tank. 20 gallons. Any suggestions about taking care of it? Suggestions on taking care of Betta are also welcomed.

message 16: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 86 comments Make sure one species of fish isn't further up on the food chain than another '-_-

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

It was a hard time picking out pretty colorful fish that wouldn't eat or kill each other. I have a few mild fish that are not colorful. I should of did some research before I went out to fill the empty tank. Now I'm trying to do some internet research.

message 18: by **Carla** (new)

**Carla** We had a tankbut my husnabd looked after it. The only suggestion I can give for looking after it is not to have the tank anywhere that there is direct sunlight to it only becayse it causes the tank to get dirt faster with the algee. Or it seemed that way to me.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Right that makes sense, algae uses the sun for photosynthesis.

message 20: by Dara (new)

Dara | 85 comments I went to Schaumburg, IL (Chicago suburbs) yesterday for a book signing by Jodi Picoult who was promoting her newest release, House Rules. Can't wait to get started on it but have to finish up Shutter Island first. I am excited...I love Jodi's books.

Also, a couple days ago I rec'd my 6th Goodreads win!! Woo hoo...it is a prerelease copy of James Grippando's Money to Burn. I just have too many books to read...think I will have to tell my boss I can't come in to work for a couple days...lol

message 21: by KSMary (new)

KSMary I got my first Goodreads win today in the mail. Hearts on a String by Kris Radish. I don't know if I'm going to start it now or wait for my trip. 4 days left...

message 22: by Catamorandi (last edited Mar 10, 2010 07:22PM) (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 130 comments I just won my first First Reads book from Goodreads. I only heard about it yesterday. I put my bid in for a couple of books and actually won one of them. I'm so excited! The book is called Andrea Carter and the Trouble with Treasure: A Novel by Susan K Marlowe.

message 23: by Zia (new)

Zia (zrg1) | 2 comments sup people

message 24: by Dara (new)

Dara | 85 comments Congrats KSMary and Catamorandi on your wins! Be sure to read the books soon and then write a review. I have been told this helps increase your chances of winning. I won the first time I registered with the giveaways too, so I think there must be some tracking or something they do to make sure that people win to keep them coming back.

message 25: by **Carla** (new)

**Carla** thats awesome I keep trying for the book draws but havent won anything yet.

message 26: by Dara (new)

Dara | 85 comments Carla wrote: "thats awesome I keep trying for the book draws but havent won anything yet."

Keep at it Carla. Did you put the books to entered to win on your TBR list? That supposedly matters as well.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Where is the sign up for all of the free books? LOL!

message 28: by **Carla** (new)

**Carla** I put every one of them on my tbr list. And Elyssa to get to the free books go to explore--->books and there is a tab the called giveaways and it has so many books that you can enter in to win these free books.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry, I have nit been on much. My basement flooded and it has been pretty much my life the last few days. Throwing stuff away, washing wet blankets, drying out items, and moving stuff around as things dry. This is not a good way to do spring cleaning. I wouldn't recommend it. I'm just glad it was only about 3-4 inches instead of feet!!

message 30: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) Is it any better today?

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Lots better. We have several fans going and a few heaters. It is drying out nicely. But it is still a big huge pain in my butt!!

But I managed to finish one book. The absouletly true diary of a part time Indian by Sherman Alexie. So funny, so sad, and truly how life is on the Rez all rolled into a crafty book. I can see why people are trying to ban the book. However, it is not even what the book is about. I wouldn't not be against my boys reading it themselves when they get into chapter books. I did find myself reading much of out loud to the boys, my aunt, and my grandma.

message 32: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) Hey at least you know your priorities. I have no doubt you will reach your 10000 page goal. :) Glad the basement is shaping up.

message 33: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) h everyone

message 34: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) imean hi

message 35: by Cara (last edited Mar 14, 2010 08:46AM) (new)

Cara | 44 comments ❤ ☠ Elyssa ☠ ❤ wrote: "Lots better. We have several fans going and a few heaters. It is drying out nicely. But it is still a big huge pain in my butt!!

But I managed to finish one book. The absouletly true diary of ..."

I'll have to read that one. It sounds like something I'd really enjoy reading. Sorry about your basement! That happened at my house awhile back. NOT FUN.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

That is right, so not fun. I am all for spring cleaning but really not this way. I think two more days of fans and heaters and we should be fine. Most of all my stuff is in rubber bins and/or on shelves.

The book is interesting. There is a lot of humor that seems like we are making fun of our status as Indians. Many find it to be... well, inappropriate. However, if you are just sad all of the time and can't find away for humility to be a part of your life, what kind of life would you have?

message 37: by **Carla** (new)

**Carla** Basement floods are awful. We had that happen last summer. I was trying to get hot water for my sons bath but it was staying cold. When I went to chk the heater our basement was already ankle deep everywhere. We were lucky most of out stuff stored in the basement were on skids keeping it off the ground with minimal water damage.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Lucky you. Happily most of my stuff was stored in rubber tubs. Just a few cardboard boxes.

message 39: by Karli (new)

Karli (goodreadscomkarli_is_booked) We're keeping our fingers crossed - we put a lot of money into finishing our basement last summer after 5 dry years...spring and the river are always nerve wracking times.

Glad that the damage was minimal - PITA though!

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Good Luck with your basement!

message 41: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ ❤ ☠ Elyssa ☠ ❤ wrote: "Lots better. We have several fans going and a few heaters. It is drying out nicely. But it is still a big huge pain in my butt!!

But I managed to finish one book. The absouletly true diary of ..."

just a little tidbit of info. i used to do movie promotions and i worked on promoting the film "smoke signals" based on an alexie book. when he worked the press tour in houston, my supervisor took him to the airport to fly to phoenix. a few hours later, the PR person at miramax called us asking where he was as he never made it to phoenix. it turns out he stayed in houston, because he "had a bad feeling" about getting on the plane. my supervisor had to drive back and set him up in a hotel for the night. isn't that crazy? he really hated flying.

message 42: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ ❤ ☠ Elyssa ☠ ❤ wrote: "Lucky you. Happily most of my stuff was stored in rubber tubs. Just a few cardboard boxes."

my brother lives in maryland and they had flooding after the heavy snows thawed out. my brother has an extensive vinyl collection that was floating all over the basement. also, he has old photo albums that my mom gave him that are totally ruined and irreplacable.

message 43: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Klint | 1 comments I realized when inputting all the books that I have read that I have forgotten the degree to which I may have enjoyed them an therefor might rate them weaker than I would hav originally. Oh well...

message 44: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 150 comments I've had that happen...

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

That just means later on you can re read and fix the rating then ;)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Alexie is def a special person. Funny as heck an knows his value, as he is really expensive to get for an hour. I had the fun of trying to get him to come to National Museum of the American Indian in DC when I worked there last summer.

Flying to Pheonix was harsh. We were supposed to fly out at 6:30 AM but the engine power didn't flip over. We had delayed and cancelled flights. Our group did not fly out unitl 6:30 AM the next day. It was so SO not fun. But I enjoyed Pheonix for the few days I was there.

My compition went great! @ the American Indian Higher Education Consortium. I got 1st in speech, 2nd year in a row. My knowledge bowl team took 4th out of 27 tribal schools. The trhee schools who beat us have an actual class for learning information just to compete. We were happy to get that close to the top. At least I was stoked!!

message 47: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ i won a book!!!! so excited! The Vanishing of Katharina Linden by Helen Grant

i'll be sure to read it soon and post a review.

wow!

message 48: by Dara (new)

Dara | 85 comments Congrats on your win Elizabeth! Let us know what you think of it. And don't forget to post your review...they say that has a direct effect on future wins.

message 49: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) Congrats Elizabeth! Hope you enjoy it! Yes you should post your review asap when you finish it.

message 50: by Karli (new)

Karli (goodreadscomkarli_is_booked) YAY for Elizabeth! :) Congrats!

« previous 1