Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Historical Fiction > Historical Western fiction

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phil (new)

Phil (westernwriter) | 4 comments I am the author of five traditional westerns, with number six (Ambush Creek -Avalon Books) coming out in August, 2010. I hope you'll look for it and any of my others, too. I've always loved reading and writing about the old West and am a stickler for accuracy concerning the 19th Century. I would love to have some discussions with others of like mind. Thanks.

Phil Dunlap
www.phildunlap.com

message 2: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (discipleshirley) | 4 comments Hi my name is Shirley Bullock my work Forever Promised is a time travel western. Thanks Shirley

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil (westernwriter) | 4 comments Shirley wrote: "Hi my name is Shirley Bullock my work Forever Promised is a time travel western. Thanks Shirley"

Congratulations, Shirley. We need all the Western writers and readers we can get, and in whatever sub-genre they come.

Phil

message 4: by Tika (last edited Mar 25, 2010 10:45PM) (new)

Tika Newman (TikaNewman) | 25 comments I like westerns. My first three books are part of a series about a young girl growing up with psychic abilities and the power to heal. I've been working on a historical novel on and off for a few years, but my next book is definitely going to be a western. My graphic artist and I are working on the cover now. I'm excited about writing this one :)

Tika Newman
thistlewoodpublishing.com

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil (westernwriter) | 4 comments That's great, Tika. I, too, am working on my next Western. I have a new one coming out in August from Avalon Books, and the one I'm working on will continue that series (#6). I shall keep an eye out for the publishing of yours. Westerns are a pure American art form, and writers like yourself help keep that alive.

Phil D.
www.phildunlap.com

message 6: by Tika (new)

Tika Newman (TikaNewman) | 25 comments Have loved westerns and early American life since I was a kid. I guess you never outgrow some things :)

Tika
thistlewoodpublishing.com

message 7: by Kae (new)

Kae Cheatham (uppitywoman) | 33 comments I have published a\ Historical Western that gives a different view of the West. The Adventures of Elizabeth Fortune by K. Follis Cheatham This is the old book cover of the OOP edition of The Adventures of Elizabeth Fortune. Here's the new cover. [image error] The title is now available as a Kindle e-book, and a second printing will be out this summer. What's it about?
In 1870, Elizabeth Fortune is more spunky than most young women, but those attributes are often a cover for the despair she feels at being without family. Her white mother died when she was five, and her black-Indian father is in the Southwest with the Ninth Cavalry. When Elizabeth's maternal grandfather disowns her, she leaves Oberlin College and heads West. She feels certain that when she finds her father, her life will stop its rough tumble.

But her trip produces a variety of hardships, beginning when she runs out of money in Ellsworth, Kansas, which results in her maiming the son of dangerous outlaw leader Gabe Tillison. She must rely on all her personal resources as she escapes Tillison's wrath and travels the Santa Fe Trail toward New Mexico. For a young woman in 1870, that's hard enough, but for someone of mixed American Indian, African American, and Anglo American heritage, it's a challenge that few could manage.

Read an excerpt and reviews at my Web site

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil (westernwriter) | 4 comments It's nice to be able to interact with another Western Writer. Your latest sounds interesting. Glad to hear about it.

Phil Dunlap
www.phildunlap.com

message 9: by J.R. (new)

J.R. | 445 comments Kae wrote: "I have published a\ Historical Western that gives a different view of the West. The Adventures of Elizabeth Fortune by K. Follis Cheatham This is the old book cover of the OOP edition of The Adventur..."

I just sent you a friend request. This and your other books sound very interesting.

message 10: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (Audrey_G) | 33 comments Kae wrote: "I have published a\ Historical Western that gives a different view of the West. The Adventures of Elizabeth Fortune by K. Follis Cheatham This is the old book cover of the OOP edition of The Adventur..."

This looks great - thanks for posting your book info. I will check this out for sure!