Gardener's Group discussion

OGSG Archives > Favorite Magazines

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Mar 02, 2010 04:32PM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) What are your favorite magazines, gardening related and unrelated?

Off the top of my head, mine are:
Artful Blogging (subscription)
Country Living (subscription)
Where Women Create (buy occasionally w/a couple)
Country Living Gardener (buy occasionally)
Cooking Light (still catching up on old issues!)
(Will update with more after looking around the house, lol!)

message 2: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments The Garden Gate
Country Living Gardener
The Northern Gardener
Cuisine At Home
Country Patchwork and Quilting
Cooking Lite

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I just found Country Living Magazines British Edition at Barnes & Noble today and I'm SO excited!

I like The Garden Gate too Cheryl!

message 4: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Garden Gate
Texas Gardener
Horticulture
Eating Well
World

My stack of magazines to be read is almost as tall as my book stack. I hate throwing away a magazine that I haven't completely read.

message 5: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Garden Gate is probably my favorite, although I do love the photography in Country Living Gardener.

Suburbangardener Gardens Illustrated
Fine Gardening
Horticulture
Chicagoland Gardening

message 7: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Garden Gate is my favorite too!
Fine Gardening
Horticulture
Got to support Iowa publishing, so any of the Better Homes and Gardens publications.
Did not like one, I think it is Garden Design. Anyway, mostly top end ($$$$$$) plants, accessories, and designers. Modern designs. Beautiful, but not what I can afford, or what folks here in Iowa would like.

message 8: by NancyL (new)

NancyL Luckey I let my Garden Design expire. Or meant to, but it keeps coming. I don't get excited about it like I do when Fine Gardening arrives.Just received the Oct (!) Garden Gate yesterday. I LOVE the autumn issues!

message 9: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I have trouble with winter depression, so fall is not my favorite time of year= it means winter is coming. So what I love are the spring and summer issues. All of them are full of good tips from gardeners. Birds and Blooms has gorgeous pictures, and surprisingly also has good tips from gardeners. I am not obsessed with birdwatching, so I was surprised when I picked it up a doctor's office. I do enjoy watching them, but can't ever identify them.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I love the autumn issues too Nancy!

I'm sorry to hear that Miriam. Autumn is my favorite time of year and I love snow. I don't look at it as things coming to an end and dieing, I look at it as everything spends the entire rest of the year resting and gearing up for a spectacular show in Autumn since so many things are seem to be in their glory at that time of year. I hope this coming Autumn and Winter will be better for you, especially since you've found us!

message 11: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Miriam--as a life long resident of Minnesota I can identify with your winter blues. I do pretty well until March and then it's -- come on already let's get this overwith. I like the snow, but not the cold. Last winter this site was quite active during the winter months and it was a nice upper to discuss gardening when there was still snow on the ground.

message 12: by Miriam (new)

Miriam We are neighbors! I can't imagine living any further north- I struggle enough here. I lived down in OK and TX right after college, and found that there I had summer depression, since it was so hot, everyone stayed inside behind closed drapes all summer. I haven't figured out where is best, but am not ready to leave this beautiful house I lucked in to. (It was painted all sorts of gaudy colors inside, so it sat on the market a year and a half! Went cheap!)

message 13: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments What great luck on your house! I'm a life long Minnesotan (Go Twins, Vikings and Wild) and I dislike being hot so I can't imagine living in the south. We have enuf heat and humidity here. I have a friend living in Texas and I've listened to her moan all summer about the awful heat they've had this year and I'm going to try to remember that when we have -40 wind chill in the winter. We probably deal with a lot of the same issues when it comes to gardening and hopefully we can share good info with one another in the future!

message 14: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 252 comments Being in Q8 have got out of the magazine habit. Price is one thing, (rather buy a book.. and sometimes the mark-up on magazines here a book is far better value!!) and selection, variety is another. The TLS (Times Literary Supplement) is one exception I can't do without!!
No way to break that habit!

message 15: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Oct 22, 2010 11:07AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Right now I love my Country Living magazines (both the US and British editions), Artful Blogging and sometimes Somerset Life or Where Women Create. I'm curious about Where Women Cook and can't wait until it comes out Dec. 1! My old Cooking Lights are invaluable to me and are now organized by season on a shelf close to the kitchen for easy access.