Gardener's Group discussion

OGSG Archives > Show Us Your Shelves!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I've seen this and done this with other groups, it's so much fun! Post pictures of your bookcases/shelves for all of us to see!

I've got a couple on my gr's profile, http://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/8... and http://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/8... but they're blurry so I need to get new pics up soon.

message 2: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments This is great, Jo. I got a kick out of seeing titles on your shelves I recognize. I also liked the hard covers lined up behind your couch.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Thanks Cheryl!

The books lined up along the back of the couch are a testament to the fact that book lovers will stick books just about anywhere, lol! That & it harkens back to my days as a retail merchandiser. I like to change those up seasonally and for holidays.

message 4: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Over the past couple of years I have gotten rid of a lot of my books. I just didn't have any more space. I kept only my favorites to reread. It's hard to let them go, but I had to be practical.

message 5: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I couldn't access the pictures, wish I could. I can comment about having to let books go. I have had so many, even though I try to avoid bookstores, and I just ran out of room. Had bookshelves crammed everywhere. So when I inherited four barrister bookcases, I started trying to weed out. But they are like old friends, hard to let go. I have a shelf full upstairs that are the old hardbound books my grandmother sent me about doctors (she had always been fascinated with medicine, but in her day and family, women didn't do things like that. Her father, a Methodist minister, didn't even allow his daughters to cut their hair! That was the first thing she did on her wedding night. She had thick wiry hair that was to the floor, and gave her headaches from the weight!). Anyway, it feels like giving away part of my grandmother to give those books away. They helped foster my love on medicine too.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Such wonderful family history to have in your home Miriam! I wouldn't want to part with any of it!

message 7: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Miriam--Totally understand the issues of parting with books. I'm also green with envy over the four barrister bookcases---I've always wanted to own just one! I'm curious if you work in the medical field? I spent 45 years as an Radiologic Technologist and just retired in April. Even though I'm enjoying my retirement I miss my profession and sometimes get a big itch to do a couple of CT scans or take a few x-rays, but then I think about the 12 hour shifts and decide I'm better off digging in my garden at my own pace.

message 8: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Cheryl, I have a masters in Rehabilitation Counseling. I wanted to be a doctor growing up, but undiagnosed/untreated severe depression during college kind of nixed that idea. I still read medical texts just for fun. Am often mistaken for a doctor, even by other doctors, because of the level of my knowledge is some areas, especially psychiatry. Have read my Merck manual front to back, own a PDR, and DSM4. Recently got a book on congenital disorders and another on head trauma. Was surprised that the congenital disorder book did not have some of the disorders I am familiar with (like crie du chat) so was disappointed in it. I think it has only the more common ones, probably an introductory text. Crie du chat is such an interesting disorder- such specific behavior linked to a chromosome mutation. Fascination with water, and holding fabric up to look at the lights/sun through it. Gives one pause to think about the nature/nurture question.