Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > Beyond Reality's 2009 Books of the Year!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

Because we keep our polls open for 3 months, the last 2009 polls (for December) just ended yesterday... and now those polls are closed, we officially know our 2009 Beyond Reality Books of the Year!

For fantasy, the winner, with an average score of 8.57, is... To Ride Hell's Chasm by Janny Wurts!

And for SF, with an average score of 8.67, the winner is... Remnant Population by Elizabeth Moon!

Both titles have been added to the Book of the Year list (at the bottom of our Beyond Reality Hall of Fame), which now goes back almost a decade!

Stefan

message 2: by Peregrine (new)

Peregrine Cool. I read Remnant Moon and gave it a 9. I could not get to To Ride Hell's Chasm in time, but it's definitely tbr.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Awesome. Congrats to Janny for the fantasy winner....

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Congratulations to Janny for winning our Fantasy Book of the Year. From the number of positive comments from the group, it sounds as if it was well deserved.

I'm really pleased about Remnant Population winning for Sci Fi. I think it was my favourite Beyond Reality book for 2009.

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments Woot! Congrats Janny!

message 6: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments Congratulations Janny. And may I say I'm enjoying your beautiful calendar too; if we had a "Calendar of the Year" category you'd get my vote.

message 7: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments You all - can I express the explosion of happiness you've given? No words - just thank you!

You are a great and lively group with fascinating interests, and I look forward to more discussions of favorite books I've read (you've picked many of them!) and others to be discovered. Reading time is very precious (work limits) and I know I will stay tuned here to zero in on what to choose for my next plunge.

And congrats to Elizabeth Moon, I enjoy her work very much!

Ron - thanks, too.

message 8: by Grimward (last edited Mar 04, 2010 09:35PM) (new)

Grimward | 2 comments Kudos, Janny. Good work always speaks for itself!

message 9: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 169 comments Yay, Janny! I'm embarrassed to say that I've been "reading" To Ride Hell's Chasm since about a month before my now 5 month old's birth. I'm just beginning to read books again. And feel like I've been starving! Looking forward to getting farther into the book.

Also very happy for Remnant Population. I loved that book when I first read it about, oh, I don't know 8 or 9 years ago? Unfortunately, I missed the conversation about it here and missed voting on it too, I think. Ah well, it matters naught.

message 10: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Diane wrote: "Yay, Janny! I'm embarrassed to say that I've been "reading" To Ride Hell's Chasm since about a month before my now 5 month old's birth. I'm just beginning to read books again. And feel like I've be..."

Hi Diane - welcome back, and glad to hear the wonderful news about your family! (I'll still be here for you!)

And thanks, everyone, for the lovely comments.

message 11: by Bookbrow (new)

Bookbrow | 93 comments Well since I joined this year I'll have to put these books on the must read list. I have found the reviews within this group and the site in general to be very helpful in deciding if the book is for you or not.

message 12: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments Both books are quite deserving!