Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general & ongoing) > February's Best! (and worst)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 247 comments It's the start of another fun month of reading challenges but first I want to know.... What was your favorite book you read in February and why? Read any big disappointments? Has a series you have been reading taken a turn for the worst for you this month? Let's review our month of reading, the good the bad and the ugly! :)

message 2: by Jennefer (last edited Mar 01, 2010 09:14AM) (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 247 comments I'll start! I think my favorite read this month was He Loves Lucy by Susan Donovan. I just loved both of the characters to death. Especially Theo I was hopelessly in love with him not 100 pages in! LOL Thanks Rosy for the rec!!!

I also started the In Death series by JD Robb. I read Naked in Death and also listed to Glory in Death on audiobook. I enjoyed the first but I think I found the second much more entertaining to listen to. I think the next few books in the series I am going to listen to on audio, I think I will enjoy them more that way!

He Loves Lucy by Susan Donovan Naked in Death (In Death, #1) by J.D. Robb Glory in Death (In Death, #2) by J.D. Robb

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments Well, in Feb I read most of the BDB series. Book three, Zsadists was my favorite. Rhage and Rhevenge are neck and neck for the next best.

I read Eric Jerome Dickey's Between Lovers and really like the characters. This story will probably stick with me longer than the BDB's as it felt much more real. So maybe this was the favorite for February.

Least favorite? The historical romance was pretty bad. But my biggest disappointment was Stephanie Bond's She Did A Bad, Bad Thing. I usually like Bond. I usually like Blaze novels. But this... let's just say she wrote a bad, bad book.

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 295 comments Best: I started two new series this month and loved them both; Slave to Sensation and Shiver.

Worst: I tried to read
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but had a hard time staying with it. I have heard rave reviews so I will try again - but no promises.

Also, I read Hunted, because I hate to leave a series unfinished. However, this may be the end to The House of Night for me. I really dislike the writing and I feel no loyalty to the shallow characters.

message 5: by Julianna (last edited Mar 01, 2010 03:35PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1690 comments Both my best and worst reads for Feb. were free novellas.

The Best: The Ice Princess by Elizabeth Hoyt - I just love her writing style and characters. She really knows how to tell a great story even when it's short.

The Worst: Winter's Kiss by Meg Allison - I'm not sure if this was meant to be part of a bigger story or series, but as a stand-alone novella it didn't work well.

message 6: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Great idea for a thread, Jennefer.

I pretty much enjoyed almost all the books I read for February, considering they are mostly from my fave authors (Singh, Krentz, Robb), but the most suprising is Linda Howard's Cry No More. Excellent, powerful book.

The Worst: Kenyon's Fantasy Lover. Sometimes I wonder why I keep trying to read her,since everytime I do so, I hated her style. Oh well... : )

message 7: by colleen (new)

colleen (colleenfl) | 458 comments The best were:
A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold - This was a reread. I love books that can make me laugh out loud.
Anabasis by Xenophon - I'd been wanting to read this for years. I'm glad I finally got around to reading it.

The worst were:
Shame by Salman Rushdie
The Dutiful Rake by Elizabeth Rolls

message 8: by Barbara ★ (last edited Mar 01, 2010 04:23PM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 3516 comments My ultimate favorite book in February was An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon. I just love Jamie and Clare's adventures.

Humorous Romance - Truly, Madly
Paranormal Romance - Personal Demons
Futuristic Romance - Slave to Sensation
Paranormal Mystery - Blood Ties

I read quite a few stinkers this month too, including
Unshapely Things
A Stitch in Time

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh good thread. My favourite book in Feb was just about any of the Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine, although Firestorm probably stood out a bit more on the awesome spectrum.

My least favourite book in Feb and possibly the whole year and also my entire life and the next one too, was Covet by JR Ward. I am officially over the shitkickers and the Vanilla Ice freestylin', yo.

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) (savhagetemptress) | 165 comments Hmmm....for the the month of February my faves have to have been:

First Drop of Crimson
Shiver
Archangel's Kiss

Least Faves:

Succubi Like It Hot
The Blackstone Chronicles
Angel Warriors

message 11: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 433 comments I had a good book month in Feb, so my faves are Three Days to Dead and Naked Dragon. I really liked Cover of Night which I read for the FAC.

I was pretty disappointed by The Jane Austen Book Club as it just didn't interest me as much as the movie, and I hated Waywalkers. One of the most boring books I've ever read - just couldn't get into it and didn't care what happened, and then it didn't even have an ending!

message 12: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 719 comments I couldn't finish The Vampire's Betrayal, I don't know if it was just me but I didn't enjoy that book at all. And I'm on the fence about Marjorie Liu. I read a short story that I wasn't too crazy about but then read The Red Heart of Jade and that was better than the short story.

message 13: by Judy (new)

Judy February was a pretty good month for me. I enjoyed Lessons From a Scarlet Lady, Ravishing in Red, and Release.

I tried reading some western romance withRachel And The Hired Gun, but I had to work to finish it and didn't like it very much. Maybe western romance isn't for me

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 205 comments My favorite book in February was Spider's Bite

My least favorite was Master of the Night. I just couldn't get through it.

message 15: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 247 comments Moss wrote: "Oh good thread. My favourite book in Feb was just about any of the Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine, although Firestorm probably stood out a bit more on the awesome spectrum.

..."

Good to know! I think I am going to try to start this series this month heard good things about it.

message 16: by ~Sara~ (last edited Mar 02, 2010 11:03PM) (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments My favourites were:
Lord of Scoundrels - finally, after hearing so much about it!
Breakfast of Champions - fun, quirky, and unexpected.
Dark Lover - I'm in the middle of the 3rd one now!!!

My least favourite was:
Mackenzie's Mountain - the hero annoyed me a lot and I didn't like the storyline much either.

The biggest disappointment was:
Duty and Desire - I liked the first book so much this one was a real let down. Maybe my expectations were too high.

message 17: by Mojca (new)

Mojca | 1341 comments February was a rather jinxed month for me as far as my reading choices went. Out of 32 books read 18 of them received a rating of 1 or 2 stars.

Favorite:
Only 2 books received a 5-star rating from me in the past month. One was the Featured Author Challenge pick Son of the Morning by Linda Howard and the other a complete unknown (freebie gift from Harlequin for St. Valentine’s Day) Too Good to Be True by Kristan Higgins. If I had to pick only one favorite it would be the latter.

Least favorite:
There were plenty, but if I had to pick but a few they would be Irresistible Forces by Brenda Jackson, Seduced by Shadows by Jessa Slade, and the entire Twilight Saga (I sure am never making such a bet again).

And the biggest disappointment… Street Game by Christine Feehan. I sure didn’t recognize one of my favorite author's touch in this book. Also Tempting Danger by Eileen Wilks. I loved the quasi-prequel in Lover Beware, but this revisited and longer version was a true disappointment.

message 18: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ My favorites for February were Open Season by Linda Howard, Night Play (Dark-Hunter, #6) by Sherrilyn Kenyon, and Fire And Ice by Anne Stuart.

My least favorite was The Darkest Fire by Gena Showalter. Maybe I just didn't like it because it was too short.

message 19: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 247 comments Sara wrote: "My favourites were:
Lord of Scoundrels - finally, after hearing so much about it!..."

For me Lord of Scoundrels was probably my biggest disappointment in February if I had to pick one. I wouln't say it was bad, it just wasn't for me I guess. To say that this was my worst book for February means that I had a really good reading month :) I enjoyed everything I read mostly.

message 20: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 719 comments Alathea wrote: "February was a rather jinxed month for me as far as my reading choices went. Out of 32 books read 18 of them received a rating of 1 or 2 stars.

Favorite:
Only 2 books received a 5-star rating f..."

Oh too bad, I love Eileen Wilks :(