The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 20.8 (Happy Birthday To You Rachel Lee (March 24th)! - A Magical Birthday)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 114 (114 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 20.8 - Happy Birthday To You Rachel Lee (March 24th)! - A Magical Birthday
Harry Houdini and I share the same birthday (March 24th)- To celebrate the birthday of this famous magician and escapologist, read a book or two (must be at least 500 pages) where magic, a magician, or an escape is a prominent feature.

Ex: The Magicians by Lev Grossman, Harry Potter, Shawshank Redemption

message 2: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Would you count The Mists of Avalon as magic? This is for those who'd love to read a good chunky novel!

message 3: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Tanja wrote: "Would you count The Mists of Avalon as magic? This is for those who'd love to read a good chunky novel!"

Absolutely.

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Some ideas...
The Magician's Assistant
The Prestige

These are nearly 400 pages. Anyone know any 140-200 page books about Magic? I want to hit the 500 mark.

message 5: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I was thinking A Little Magic (368pp) by Nora Roberts and Old Magic (317pp) by Marianne Curley, both of which I own. Are those okay?

message 6: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "I was thinking A Little Magic (368pp) by Nora Roberts and Old Magic (317pp) by Marianne Curley, both of which I own. Are those okay?"

Both work.

message 7: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I haven't read Gods Behaving Badly: A Novel but the excerpt says their powers are waning. Is that magic enough?

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I am thinking maybe The Prestige or The Magician's AssistantandThe Magician's Nephew.

Does that work?

message 9: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Tanja wrote: "I haven't read Gods Behaving Badly: A Novel but the excerpt says their powers are waning. Is that magic enough?"

It works, but you will need to read something else too as it isn't 500 pages.

message 10: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Nicole wrote: "I am thinking maybe The Prestige or The Magician's AssistantandThe Magician's Nephew.

Does that work?"

All three work.

message 11: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I have to dig through my new stack of books since I forgot their titles. I believe there's some other magic ones.

Hmm. Ooh! Divine By Mistake! Can that get counted, too?

message 12: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Btw - if people haven't read American Gods by Neil Gaiman, this is the PERFECT task!

message 13: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Tanja wrote: "I have to dig through my new stack of books since I forgot their titles. I believe there's some other magic ones.

Hmm. Ooh! Divine By Mistake! Can that get counted, too?"

That one seems to be stretching it a little. The first one you described had people with powers-this one is not as obvious as that.

message 14: by Usako (last edited Mar 01, 2010 07:47AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Thanks Rachel Lee! I haven't read the novel so I cannot accurately say if these characters with divinity acquire magical powers, too! Could just be they're mythological creatures sans powers.

I'll dig some more! I have a trove of fantasy novels at home that I haven't read yet. Been holding them off to read more outside my norm genre.

For those still hunting, here's some fantasy books/authors:
* Mercedes Lackey
* Marion Zimmer Bradely
* The Trillium Series - Black Trillium, etc

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments I have some Mercedes Lackey and Marion Zimmer Bradley so anything by those authors would work?

message 16: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Jayme -- Just about anything by those authors. Their books predominantly have magic. Feel free to run the titles by me since I've read nearly everything by ML and most of MZB.

message 17: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Mar 01, 2010 08:21AM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments Umm geez, I have Wizard of London ML, The Lake House by MZB, Firebrand? MZB, Priestess of Avalon, MZB, Fool's Gold ML, The Good Knight, ML, Crossroads ML, Changlings ML, that's just what I can name off the top of my head. Reserved For The Cat, ML I just have tons!

message 18: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Nicole wrote: "Some ideas...
The Magician's Assistant
The Prestige

These are nearly 400 pages. Anyone know any 140-200 page books about Magic? I want to hit the 500 mark."

Nicole, you should check out Garden Spells, The Sugar Queen, or The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen. I know they are a tad over your page range (avg 275 pages each), but they are really good, quick reads.

message 19: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Cait wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Some ideas...
The Magician's Assistant
The Prestige

These are nearly 400 pages. Anyone know any 140-200 page books about Magic? I want to hit the 500 mark..."

Absolutely, I loved Garden Spells and am reading the other 2 for different tasks in this challenge.

message 20: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Reserved for the Cat & ANY in the Elemental Masters (Wizard of London) series is magic. Reserved is REALLY cute! Different from the previous EM books.

Do you have the right name for Fool's Gold? I'm hunting and not finding. Do you mean Fool's Fortune? Yes. That and The Good Knight are part of the Five Hundred Kingdom series which DEFINITELY has magic!

Crossroads and Other Tales of Valdemar - that's ok! It has MAGIC ^.^

The Lake House, Priestess of Avalon by MZB fits b/c Mists of Avalon was approved. They're prequels or sequels.

Firebrand DEFINITELY has magic! The excerpt has that, too! It's been a while but it may have Greek/Roman Gods featured. I'll have to flip through my book. It could work for the other task, too.

Not sure what books you're referring to for Crossroads or Changelings.

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Oh and I have about every ML book published ;) She's a fav!

message 22: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Would Breaking Dawn count? I guess it has vampires and werewolves which are magical...

message 23: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Erin wrote: "Would Breaking Dawn count? I guess it has vampires and werewolves which are magical..."

All werewolves/vampires won't work. I will okay Breaking Dawn because of the powers of the vampires in the book. I want something along the lines of magic tricks, spells, witches, not just supernatural beings.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments Vampires and werewolves are not magical, sorry.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments Tanja wrote: "Reserved for the Cat & ANY in the Elemental Masters (Wizard of London) series is magic. Reserved is REALLY cute! Different from the previous EM books.

Do you have the right name for Fool's Gold?..."

Crossroads and other tales of Valdemar is the one I was referring too. Changlings is like an elven race who lives in space and has to evacuate their home. I never read it though. It's like a scifi/fantasy crossover. "Changlings" is the name of the book though.

message 26: by Usako (last edited Mar 01, 2010 09:42AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Elves on the Road Universe series with Bedlam's Bard is magical. The Halfblood Series is magical (another elf one).

I haven't found Changling on Lackey's bibilography. Huh.

Do you mean Changelings by Anne McCaffrey? Doesn't appear on the surface to be magic. It's more telepathic.

Or Changeling which is magical?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments oh sorry, "Changlings" is not ML, it's Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Scaroborough.

message 28: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Hee! No wonder I was confused!

message 29: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Changelings by McCaffrey and the rest of the series are NOT magical.

message 30: by Liz (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) I'm so stoked to be able to use The Name of the Windfor this task. I've heard that this book is AMAZING!

message 31: by Petra (last edited Mar 01, 2010 10:55AM) (new)

Petra Rachel Lee wrote: "All werewolves/vampires won't work. I will okay Breaking Dawn because of the powers of the vampires in the book. I want something along the lines of magic tricks, spells, witches, not just supernatural beings. ..."

Sorry, I'm finding this answer confusing. Are vampires/werewolves/Breaking Dawn allowed?
I'm interpreting the task as meaning a magician, magician's magic tricks/acts or a magician's escape.

message 32: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Petra wrote: "Rachel Lee wrote: "All werewolves/vampires won't work. I will okay Breaking Dawn because of the powers of the vampires in the book. I want something along the lines of magic tricks, spells, witches..."

Sorry,

Vampires/werewolves are NOT automatically allowed. In the case of Breaking Dawn, there are instances of magical gifts so I would allow it.

I am allowing a bit broader interpretation from a magician/magic tricks/escape. Any magical elements(like witches, spells, etc) are fine. In addition, the escape portion does not have to having any magical elements-it can be a prison escape, escape from a cult, etc.

Hopefully that makes more sense. If not, please post the book and I will happily let anyone know if it fits or not.

message 33: by Usako (last edited Mar 01, 2010 11:22AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Escape From Alcatraz would be an example of a prison escape :)

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane is good for magic!

The Last Unicorn!!!

message 34: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments Some more suggestions:

Brokedown Palace (one of my favorite fantasy novels ever)
Of Bees and Mist: A Novel
Seventh Son
Chocolat

and a question... what about books making use of magical realism? I am thinking of things like One Hundred Years of Solitude, Like Water for Chocolate: A Novel in Monthly Installments with Recipes, Romances, and Home Remedies or some of Salman Rushdie's books. Is this okay or stretching too much?

message 35: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments I'm going to say no to magical realism

... unless someone can make a really good case for it. :)

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) How about Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke?

message 37: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Jennifer L. wrote: "How about Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke?"

Approved.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments So would some of the Sookie Stackhouse books work that involve witches?

message 39: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Jayme wrote: "So would some of the Sookie Stackhouse books work that involve witches?"

If the witch is a predominant feature, they wouldn't count if they are truly just side characters.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments I think Definitely Dead or Dead to the World the witches are predominant characters because the vampires allied with witches in this witch war.

message 41: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Jayme wrote: "I think Definitely Dead or Dead to the World the witches are predominant characters because the vampires allied with witches in this witch war."

Then those are fine.

message 42: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth (marybethbaker) | 143 comments Would Perdido Street Station work? The word "magic" comes up in the description of book, but I wanted to double-check.

Thanks!

message 43: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments Mary Beth wrote: "Would Perdido Street Station work? The word "magic" comes up in the description of book, but I wanted to double-check.

Thanks!"

I can't find in any reviews where magic plays a part in the story. So unfortunately, I am going to say no unless someone who has read it corrects me.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments Some people have to try to fit every Sookie Stackhouse book in the challenge. Not me of course. :)

message 45: by Angela (last edited Mar 01, 2010 03:22PM) (new)

Angela | 370 comments I am going to read Not Without My Sister The True Story of Three Girls Violated and Betrayed by Kristina Jones , which is a true story about a cult they escaped.

EDIT: Just realized this is only 416 pages, so I will have to find another book to go with it.

message 46: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments I'm assuming that the Harry Potter books fit comfortably within this challenge. I need to read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix next.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments yes it would Diane because it has to do with magic.

message 48: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop
Rhapsody: Child of Blood by Elizabeth Haydon
Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita is a necromancer who has to use magic to raise the dead aside from her OTHER vocations)
A Kiss of Shadows (Meredith Gentry, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton (Meredith is a Fairy and uses magic)
The 10th Kingdom by Kathryn Wesley (LOVE LOVE the tv series)

Not sure is Eragon magic?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments I love the 10th Kingdom!! I seen the series 15 times.

message 50: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments I haven't seen the 10th Kingdom, or read it, but it looks really interesting. Too bad it isn't on the Kindle.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.