College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > Girl With The Dragon Tattoo--For Those Who Have Finished

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Please use this thread to talk about the book as a whole after you have finished.

Some general starting questions:

Did you like or dislike the book? Did you like the ending? Favorite characters? Favorite quotes? Did you like the author's style? Were you confused by anything in the book? etc.

Feel free to post any discussion questions that are more specific to the book once you have finished. The moderators and discussion leader will try and facilitate the discussion but since everybody's reading schedule/life schedule are different, they may not be able to do so at the beginning of the month. So, any discussion questions are welcome! :)

message 2: by Skye (new)

Skye (speciallyi) | 8 comments I just finished the book and am mostly quite horrified by all the stuff about Harriet, Gottfried and Martin. Honestly the graphic terms are lodged in my head now though I must say the double game at the Millennium office at the later parts of the book did help to cheer me up. Every time Ikea furniture is mentioned I can't help but feel tickled as well. However, I can't even say that I fully like this book because it disturbed me and pretty much freaked me out (it's 2.17am now).

But I must say that I enjoyed the mystery, felt Blomkkvist's joy when he had a breakthrough and horror at Salander's horrifying account with her new guardian. No conclusion to Armansky though! That's a bit sad considering how much he was mentioned at the front. Speaking about the front it nearly put me off the book but I'm glad I held out. Oh and nothing to wrap up about the police detective as well I think? The poor dude that investigated all his life.

Nice pick for the month though! I'm going to look for something to distract me so that I won't have such disturbing images of all the murders before I go to sleep.

message 3: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
You should definitely read the next one. I didn't feel it as graphic as the first, but the first one didn't bother me as much as it seems it did you. But of course, I didn't read it at 2:00 in the morning. :)On second thought, maybe the second one is worse than the first. I forgot part of it before I started typing. Hmmm, not sure. I enjoyed them both.

The books are disturbing, but for once, I hadn't figured it all out before I got to the end. I had a hint at the one "mystery" but the rest was really not what I was expecting.

Oh, and I know they mention the age difference between Lisbeth and Blomkkvist all through the book, but am I the only one that still just sees maybe a 5 or 10 year gap? A movie was released in Sweden (I think) and they cast Lisbeth great, but the guy that played Blomkkvist was really a lot older than I imagined. :)

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I think they are going to release a movie in the States pretty soon...I don't have TV though so I am really out of the loop.

Anyone else Google the author? Apparently he just wrote this stuff in his downtime as kind of a hobby and made Blomkkvist kind of his alter-ego which to me explains a lot of the bed hopping.

message 5: by Skye (new)

Skye (speciallyi) | 8 comments Woah I didn't know they made a movie! Just youtubed the trailer and it looks pretty cool I guess. Haha Blomkkvist does look a little old! Feels a bit like when I saw the Da Vinci Code trailer- Robert Langdon (supposedly oh so charming) ended up...... like that.

I agree! Some plots are so easy to see through. I didn't see this one coming. (But I hardly read mysteries/thrillers anyway)

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily (seeemzread) I really enjoyed the book! I read it a few months ago and it really sucked me in... I agree with the rest of you, the "mystery" kind of caught me off guard. Usually I am pretty good at figuring these things out, but I really didn't clue into this one.

I was really rooting for Lisbeth/Blomkvist, so hopefully things get patched up in the 2nd/3rd book.

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I just finished this book a little bit ago. I really liked it! I gave it four stars...mainly because I thought it started off really slow, but then all of a sudden I got sucked in!

I did not expect Martin to be a serial murderer or for Harriet to be alive! When Blomkvist went to Australia to see her and he said, "Hi Harriet", I had to reread the line a few times to make sure I read it correctly!

speciallyi - I was also disappointed that Morell was never mentioned again after Harriet had been found. He had spent so much time looking into her case.

message 8: by Skye (new)

Skye (speciallyi) | 8 comments Jen- Aww man I totally agree. After all he spent so damn long on the case, helped Blomkkvist out.. and in the end he was forgotten!!! What the.
And Harriet is actually quite evil not to visit or send word to Vanger. Her disappearance really consumed them all T_T

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess I just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and I was thoroughly surprised! Lots of twists and turns, and I found it incredibly interesting. I was unable to put it down, which surprised me particularly because I hate the title and the cover (as I mention in my actual review of the book). I too was disturbed by the Martin, Gottfried, and Harriet thing—as well as Bjurman and Lisbeth—but found the last 200 pages of the book to be much less alarming. In fact, it moved as though from a Swedish Law & Order: SVU to Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

I actually can't wait to read the next book. I had a feeling that Henrik would end up not wanting to air the dirty laundry, and led MIkael on with Wennerström, particularly since Frode told Armansky to stop digging on Wennerström pretty early on in the book.

message 10: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Just finished! I didn't know what to expect going into it. I don't generally read crime/mystery books but this was amazing!

WOW! It kept me at the edge of my seat the whole time. I honestly thought it was Martin the whole time and I kept hoping she was still alive! However, I didn't see the dad being involved at ALL! Did anyone else figure it out?

I'm with alot of you about how disturbing it was! It's sad that things like that really do happen like that..people are sick!

I agree that Morrell should have been mentioned again!

Any characters that annoyed you? Which ones did you guys love?

message 11: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Also, I was kinda annoyed that Harriet led them all to believe that she was dead. I mean, I understand that the situation was horrible and she wanted out BUT for the people, like Henrik, who suffered her "death" it was horrible to do that!

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess I think because of this book's popularity, the disturbing factor really was striking. I didn't really know much about the book until I got it for $5 on Amazon, so I finally started paying attention. It was much more complex and disturbing than I would have thought. Neat, though! I'm curious to read the next two.

Martin was so creepy—though, I definitely didn't think it was him! I had no idea who it was, really.

message 13: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I agree. I kind of thought it would be a "fluffy" type of mystery/crime book but it was dark and was so complex. I can't wait to read the next two as well!

message 14: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) I read (well, listened!) to this book a few months ago and when people ask me if I've read anything good lately this is still the first thing that pops out of my mouth. Lisbeth is one of my favorite characters EVER. I've read the second one as well. For those of you who are interested, it starts off a little slow but then it goes 0-60 mph in about 2 secs. And then ending OMG. I would suggest waiting until the third one is out before you read the second because it ends in such a crazy way.

I have also been obsessed enough with this book to read up on the author. His story is kinda interesting and it seems Blomkvist was based on the author a lot. AND apparently there were suppose to be 10 books total but Larsson died while working on the 5th one.

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) My boss and I were talking about how Larsson wrote these as sort of a hobby and possibly never intended to really publish them so they could be dark and twisted without having to worry about pleasing the masses. Also for such an off the radar sort of guy I have to wonder what he would think of his books being best sellers.
Can't wait for the 3rd to come out in May!

Tracy (A Good Novel) | 30 comments I just finished about 45 minutes ago and I still love it. I honestly think it's the best book I've read in a long time. I wasn't expecting to be so completely sucked in. The plot twisted enough that I was never quite sure who had done it, if at all. I was so glad that Harriet turned out to be alive!

I think the book really was disturbing, but it wasn't the murders that got to me so much as the second rape scene with Bjurman and Lisbeth. I've never had such an intense physical reaction to a book before. I literally felt like I couldn't breathe and I was shaking. I've never been so revolted as I was by Bjurman and I was rooting so hard for Lisbeth to beat him. I was so glad he got his comeuppance it's not even funny. I was just so disturbed and horrified by what he did to her that I couldn't believe it.

I got the second one this week and I'm planning on starting it right away, as well as seeing the movie this weekend. I'm absolutely fascinated by Lisbeth and I *have* to know the rest of her story!

message 17: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) third one comes out sooon!!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

message 18: by Ali (last edited May 19, 2010 04:03PM) (new)

Ali I am in a groggy book-hangover from this novel. The last four hours were a vortex through the latter two-thirds of the book. First of all, I loved it. It was extremely well written, and I adored the subtle clues of the mystery as the book unfolded. I liked most of the characters (and I loved Lisbeth). My favorite scenes were probably of Bloomkvist using the photos of the parade photographs to pin down the reason for Harriet's disappearance. It was an excellent contrast between the happy crowd and Harriet's personal terror of sighting Martin.

Of the plot, some of it was obvious from the beginning (IE: Harriet being alive and the sender of the pressed flowers), but most of the plot points were nicely hidden. (I did not predict Martin to be the murderer, and I had a foolishly hoped that Harriet was actually Lisbeth's mother). I was seriously on the edge of my seat when Bloomkvist was in Martin's basement. I'm not usually a fan of murder-mysteries, but this was a exception.

What I disliked most of the book was that it was clearly written by a middle-aged man for other middle-aged men. The use of impersonal omniscient third-person perspective annoyed me right off the bat. It's kind of like an ego trip for the reader to have the "god perspective" of the scene, something I'm equating to a doll house for grown men.
Also, I was annoyed that all three woman who Blookvist predominantly interacted with seduced him with wild sex and signed on for non-committal relationships. I think this is plainly a middle-aged man's (and Stieg Larsson's) wet dream.

But seriously, overall I loved this book. I am excited to read the next two stories and continue to follow Lisbeth's (and hopefully Bloomkvist's) adventures.

message 19: by Ali (last edited May 19, 2010 04:06PM) (new)

Ali I am in a groggy book-hangover from this novel. The last four hours were a vortex through the latter two-thirds of the book. First of all, I loved it. It was extremely well written, and I adored the subtle clues of the mystery as the book unfolded. I liked most of the characters (and I loved Lisbeth). My favorite scenes were probably of Bloomkvist using the photos of the parade photographs to pin down the reason for Harriet's disappearance. It was an excellent contrast between the happy crowd and Harriet's personal terror of sighting Martin.

Of the plot, some of it was obvious from the beginning (IE: Harriet being alive and the sender of the pressed flowers), but most of the plot points were nicely hidden. (I did not predict Martin to be the murderer, and I had a foolishly hoped that Harriet was actually Lisbeth's mother). I was seriously on the edge of my seat when Bloomkvist was in Martin's basement. I'm not usually a fan of murder-mysteries, but this was a exception.

What I disliked most of the book was that it was clearly written by a middle-aged man for other middle-aged men. The use of impersonal omniscient third-person perspective annoyed me right off the bat. It's kind of like an ego trip for the reader to have the "god perspective" of the scene, something I'm equating to a doll house for grown men.
Also, I was annoyed that all three woman who Blookvist predominantly interacted with seduced him with wild sex and signed on for non-committal relationships. I think this is plainly a middle-aged man's (and Stieg Larsson's) wet dream.

But seriously, overall I loved this book. I am excited to read the next two stories and continue to follow Lisbeth's (and hopefully Bloomkvist's) adventures.

message 20: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Not sure were the best place to post this would be so I settled on this thread.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/201...

How amazing would that be?

message 21: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (kalypso) | 214 comments I finished this a bit ago. I loved it and can't wait to read the next two (I am already half way done with the second one.) I was very shocked at how dark the book was given how popular it is.

A couple days after finishing I found the Swedish version of the movie online and watched most of it (the ending was not included so I am not sure how much I missed out on.) It was interesting to compare the movie to the book. There are a lot of things very similar but they also changed a lot of really random details and included some flashbacks from Salander that I am guessing tie into the next book but weren't in the first. The guy they cast as Blomkvist was weird to me, the book describes him as being very attractive and this guy wasn't. I can't wait to see what they do with the American version.

Tracy (A Good Novel) | 30 comments Alicia wrote: "I finished this a bit ago. I loved it and can't wait to read the next two (I am already half way done with the second one.) I was very shocked at how dark the book was given how popular it is.

..."

At first, I thought the same about Michael Nyqvist (movie Blomkvist). When I was reading through the book, I saw promo stills from the movie and I was aghast at how old and unattractive he seemed. However, I've really come to love him as Mikael. I've seen the first movie three times by now and the second movie twice, and he gives a great performance.

I feel like I read a thread about this on IMDb or something a while back, when I was reading the book in April. Does the book say outright that Mikael is supposed to be attractive? I remember the point that was brought up in the discussion I read is that most of us felt, while reading, that Mikael wasn't necessarily good-looking--just very charming. And that is what we felt gets him the women, not his looks. That's why I like Michael Nyqvist so much in the role--he's attractive in a way that's not immediately apparent.

Daniel Craig is currently heavily rumored for the remake, which I'm really excited about because I feel the same way about him as I do about Nyquist. He's attractive, but the kind of attractive that took a while to set in for me. And he's certainly got the charm. The list of Lisbeth candidates for the remake keeps on growing, and I'm still not sure how I'll feel about who they cast (I'm really meh about the remake in general), but I'll at least give it a shot if Daniel gets the role.

Sorry for my fangirl rant! I dearly love all three books and the movies (well, I still haven't seen the third one) and I run a small fansite for them, so this is kind of my thing. :)

message 23: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (kalypso) | 214 comments Tracy wrote: "Alicia wrote: "I finished this a bit ago. I loved it and can't wait to read the next two (I am already half way done with the second one.) I was very shocked at how dark the book was given how pop..."

I remember a specific sentence in the first book stating that Blomkvist is attractive because it didn't seem to fit for me. I didn't picture him as being an attractive guy until it was mentioned. I will see if I can find the page if I ever get the book back from my boyfriend. The age thing wasn't much of a surprise to me, I think it was stated several times how old he was.

message 24: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) OF COURSE Blomkvist is suppose to be attractive! He is essentially Larsson! Pimp Larsson, if you will.

message 25: by Tami (last edited Jul 07, 2011 02:15PM) (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Just saw this: http://scoop.today.com/_news/2011/07/...

Not sure how it could really shock him. I wonder, did he not read the book first? I haven't seen the Swedish film, but am eagerly anticipating this one. I wonder how they could put certain things into it and still be able to make it a movie people would want to see.