Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Marcy's February

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Rosewood’s Ashes by Aileen Schumacher - Since I borrowed this, the 4th in the Tory Travers/David Alvarez series from Shomeret and read it out-of-order (gasp), I now want to go back and read the earlier ones. Very enjoyable writing, a good plot and great characters in this contemporary mystery take the reader back to the historical time of the 1923 Rosewood Massacre. I will definitely look for this author's other works.

Stalked by Brian Freeman - Stalked is the third in the series to feature Jonathan Stride, a police lieutenant who, in this book, returns to Duluth with his new love, Serena in time to help with the murder investigation of the husband of his former partner, Maggie. A convoluted plot which includes a sex club, blackmail and other murders makes for edge-of-the seat reading, but also a certain amount of creepiness. While the frigid air of Minnesota is very tangible in this book, many of the characters seemed to be reduced to stereotypes.

As Catch Can by Vincent Zandri - This fast-paced thriller is about the warden of a New York state prison framed for the escape of a convicted cop-killer. Particularly effective were flashbacks to an earlier time during the Attica prison riots. Very well written, this compelling story was hard to put down.

A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (audio) - Charlie Asher, trying to cope with his own loss, unwittingly becomes a "Death Merchant" and struggles to control the underworld. This book with it's weird plot, great characters and laugh-out-loud dialogue absolutely requires you to suspend disbelief. Once you do, you can sit back and totally enjoy!!

Boomsday by Christopher Buckley (audio) - Angered by the financial burden of Social Security for aging baby boomers on the next generation, Cassandra Devine proposes "voluntary transitioning" (suicide) rewarded by significant estate tax breaks and health perks. Her campaign reaches the highest levels of government. This wonderfully funny and biting political satire has very good dialogue and laugh-out-loud moments. The silly plot only helps to define the inane system of political spin at work.

Killing Rommel by Steven Pressfield (audio) - Killing Rommel is historical fiction about the British plot to kill Rommel in North Africa. Written as a 1st person memoir, the story, while intriguing, contained entirely too much information about equipment and weaponry and too little character development or action for my taste.

The President’s Assassin by Brian Haig - In this fifth in the series, JAG Attorney Sean Drummond is assigned to a CIA special projects office. Someone is killing Washington officials and has threatened to kill the President. A suspect is identified and then the plot twists and turns. I love this series - good storylines with interesting characters and a protagonist reminiscent of Nelson DeMille's John Corey, another favorite.

Did Not Finish-

The List by J.A. Konrath – Just couldn’t get into this one, probably because of my mind being elsewhere while I was reading it. I really enjoyed many of J.A. Konrath’s books, so maybe I pick it up again at a later date.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1562 comments Thanks for taking the time and writing such great reviews Marcy! I see a couple I need to add to my list ;)

message 3: by Melodie (last edited Mar 01, 2010 12:24PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3567 comments I got ROSEWOOD'S ASHES from PBS after Shomeret recommended it. Hope to get to it soon. I read A DIRTY JOB a couple of years ago and loved it. I love Christopher Moore's stuff. He has new one, BITE ME: A LOVE STORY coming out this month that I'm looking forward to. It's a continuation of BLOODSUCKING FIENDS and YOU SUCK: A LOVE STORY.

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2896 comments Boomsday made me a Buckley fan!

message 5: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Barry wrote: "Boomsday made me a Buckley fan!"

Me too! Now I'm listening to No Way To Treat a First Lady and it's hysterical!

message 6: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Melodie wrote: "I got ROSEWOOD'S ASHES from PBS after Shomeret recommended it. Hope to get to it soon. I read A DIRTY JOB a couple of years ago and loved it. I love Christopher Moore's stuff. He has new one, B..."

I think you'll enjoy Rosewood's Ashes, Melodie. I'll have to check out Moore's new one.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13902 comments Marcie:
Great month! Rosewood's Ashes does look very good. Each time someone reads a Christopher Moore book it reminds me of how much I have enjoyed the ones I have read -- and now we get another new one; I look forward to reading Rosewood's Ashes: A Tory Travers/David Alvarez Mystery!

Melodie wrote: "I got ROSEWOOD'S ASHES from PBS after Shomeret recommended it. Hope to get to it soon. I love Christopher Moore's stuff. He has new one, BITE ME: A LOVE STORY coming out this month that I'm looking forward to. It's a continuation of BLOODSUCKING FIENDS and YOU SUCK: A LOVE STORY. ..."

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Hi Marcy...good month, well done. I just dl'd the Vincent Zandri and am looking forward to it.

message 9: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "Hi Marcy...good month, well done. I just dl'd the Vincent Zandri and am looking forward to it."

Let me know how you like it, Mary. I'm planning to read Vincent's latest - Moonlight Falls - when I can get to it.

message 10: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Zandri (vincentzandri) | 21 comments Marcy wrote: "Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "Hi Marcy...good month, well done. I just dl'd the Vincent Zandri and am looking forward to it."

Let me know how you like it, Mary. I'm planning to read Vincent's la..."

Thanks you guys!!!!!! :)))))
Vin
Moonlight Falls