Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Poison Study (Study, #1)
This topic is about Poison Study
Poison Study > Yelena (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tatiana (tatiana_g) What did you think about Yelena? Did you find her a likable and worthy of respect heroine? Or did you think she was a Mary Sue who possessed too many special qualities and was able to overcome too many obstacles with very little effort?

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Oh, I liked her. I thought she was very brave and very intelligent.

message 3: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I am almost done with this book and I really like her as a character. I love that the book is written from her point of view. Though I do feel she needs to try harder to leave the castle.

Alicia (aliciaftw) I liked Yelena's personality, but the fact that she was so bold made me lift an eyebrow. Wouldn't you expect someone so abused to be a bit more afraid of others?

Shea I liked her character a lot and thought the way she is written makes her someone people will identify with. She did have lots of obstacles and we get to see her dealing with them constantly and not easily. It makes the book a good read and the heroine someone I can rally for.

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 46 comments Jillian said: Well, people who are abused can react in two ways: they can shut down and close in on themselves (become "more afraid," as you said) or they can harden themselves and fight back with vicious fury when next someone tries to attack them.

Hey!

I was abused, and I'm fine now. I'm not vicious either--I think I'm kind of cuddly actually! :D I'll admit I was a shy child and wary of people--not necessarily just strangers (a family friend was the culprit) but eventually learned to display outward fearlessness, tempered with an inward insecurity. Which I think Yelena portrays quite well. Of course by the time I read her, I had largely gotten over my woes.

I just stated in another thread that I think this book would have changed my life more dramatically if I had had such a strong female model thrust upon me earlier--would likely have been less depressed and insecure, would have aspired to be strong like Yelena.

message 7: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I thought that Yelena was a little bit paranoid at the beginning of the book for being abused. She didn't want to trust anyone and was weary to even talk to anyone in the castle. I think she even learned self defense because of her abuse. So I did think she acted abused.

message 8: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Personally I love her.... it seemed to me she picked up on learning different Poisons better then anyone. Though this was never explained... a natural talent? Or a magical talent?

message 9: by Tatiana (last edited Mar 19, 2010 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tatiana (tatiana_g) I liked Yelena a lot in "Poison Study." I felt sorry for her dark past, but I liked to see her overcome it. She was kind, smart and resourceful. As I read "Magic Study" however, I found her more and more of a Mary Sue who could do no wrong.

message 10: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am still not sure how I feel about Yelena killing Reyand. Though I see no other options. I just don't know how she could've saved the other children. And then to find out they will live forever as mute and no thoughts. His spirit following her throughout her life must've been horrible for her. But this makes me think about the laws in Ixia. No one can kill anyone for any reason, including self-defense right? I think it's called the Code of Behavior. But the commander and Valek can kill people because they show a hint of magic??? More and more the Ixia government seems more and more corrupt to me. Of course every government has it's secrets and spies like Valek.

message 11: by Annalisa (last edited Mar 15, 2010 09:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annalisa (goodreadsannalisa) Angie, I wasn't a fan of the Code of Behavior either, but I respected Yelena for killing Reyand. She didn't do it out of revenge, but to protect the other orphans, knowing it would mean her death. I really liked her. She had a lot of layers, was interesting, and I rooted for her.

Kayzee | 180 comments oh hell yeah I would kill the prick 2. and I admired her determination to live and do something for herself and at the start I couldn't think of her doing acrobatics and climbing tree's lol.
And of course she is going to not want to talk to people at the start, I woudlnt either. but then again I one of those people that would turn myself into a victom, maybe who knows lets hope im never in that position!!!

LOVE FOR YELENA

Heather (heatherjoy) Amen Angie. I found the Commander very hypocritical in almost all of his policies. I think Yelena did the best thing, and the only thing really, for herself and for her fellow captives in killing Reyand. She didn't have the means to free her fellow captives, but killing Reyand at least prevented them from being tortured by him in the future.

Heather (heatherjoy) However, I also agree with Tatiana about Yelena's character. She digressed big time in the sequels and became the epitomy of a Mary Sue.

message 15: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am curious why Reyand didn't rape her sooner. The way he seems he would've raped her all the time. I don't really know why it didn't happen sooner.

Jenny (narcisse) I believe she said that Brazell wouldn't allow it, pretty much. Once he "gave" Yelena to Reyand, then he could do whatever he wanted with her. That's why he had the journal where he kept track of everything he would punish her for once he was allowed to.

Diana  (higura_natume) | 30 comments Yelena was an extremely likable character and I could easily call her one of my favorites. She doesn't just sit and whine and moan about things but goes straight up and faces them.

Jayme (reading_belle) I absolutely adored Yelena. I felt that she was a very strong female protagonist and pretty believable.

Kristin (kristinnb) I loved Yelena. She was strong, brave, and smart. What is there not to like about her. I only wished that I was a little more like her when I was a teen. =P

Kayzee | 180 comments Oh so do I lol

Hweeps I love Yelena. Period.

message 22: by Rita (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 77 comments I loved how Snyder portrayed Yelena, how she looked out at the world around her, and I loved the sensual description of the poisons, how they tasted, how Yelena rolled the food over her tongue. Those details made the story feel very real.