Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2010-03 THIS ALIEN SHORE - Initial Thoughts *No Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Post here to discuss This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman. *No Spoilers*

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane (hippygoth66) | 101 comments Only started it today in my lunch break.

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I received my copy in the mail from B&N yesterday. I'm too entranced by Miles in Love at the moment to put it down to start This Alien Shore. Perhaps in a couple of days.

message 4: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 486 comments I finished it about a week ago and really enjoyed it. I'll try to post a few thoughts in the spoiler thread in the next day or two.

message 5: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments I'ver started it. so far it seems like I will enjoy reading it.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments I've read 145 pages and I still have no idea what some of the terms mean. What is an ainniq? It's getting tiring.

message 7: by Jon (last edited Mar 08, 2010 04:23PM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I'm a little over a hundred pages into the novel. I would love an exhaustive glossary of the kaja, but I assume, from Friedman's writing style thus far, that I will have to glean what I can from context.

I believe the 'ainniq' is some form of hyperspace or subspace or other time-space continuum distortion that allows FTL travel by folding/skipping the space part.

I'm interested in the story thus far, but not compelled to return to it. In fact, I started reading an entirely different genre novel today concurrently.

message 8: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 486 comments Sandra wrote: "I've read 145 pages and I still have no idea what some of the terms mean. What is an ainniq? It's getting tiring."

The kaja slowly help explain the Guerans and the ainniq. I read the first part of the book totally confused too, but it all slowly revealed itself and I ended up really enjoying it.

I would recommend sticking it out.

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Oh, I'll stick it out. I felt a little bit that way in Flesh and Spirit, but not as much. I must say the world seems very treacherous and cold so far.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments It's finally engaged me, but when I finish I'm going to have to go back through and map the winding road of the plot. Holy smackers.

message 11: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I hope it engages me soon. I've taken a break from the novel since lunch yesterday and just haven't been compelled to pick it back up. Perhaps lunch reading time today will change that.

message 12: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I started re-reading it today. I know I read it when it came out, but I remember nothing. What I've read so far (34 pages) is familiar, but I have no idea where it's going.

I have to say that this book's back cover blurb is perfect. It only talks about background and stuff that happens at the beginning. It's informative, but doesn't give anything away.

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine | 585 comments I'm almost finished with this book and am very pleased to have found it. This is a great SF book and I haven't found it to be "too slow" or too long. At .500 pages, I'm really glad they didn't decide to split this into two (or maybe even three) books.