Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2010-03 FLESH AND SPIRIT - Initial Thoughts *No Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Post here to discuss Flesh and Spirit by Carol Berg. *No Spoilers*

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane (hippygoth66) | 101 comments WOuld have liked to read this book, but my library didn't have a copy. Will have to look for a second hand copy as I have spent up my new book allowance this month.

message 3: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments I think I am going to like it. I started it but am not very far into it yet.

message 4: by Dusty (new)

Dusty (dustye) | 4 comments I'm really enjoying it so far. Reading it via the Kindle App for the iPhone. Haven't bought it yet. I'm reading the preview that Amazon gives Kindle users. It's the first time I've done so and I'm surprised at how much they let you read for free. I'm in the third chapter currently. Plan on buying the book though.

Does the group have threads for the sequels to Book of the Months? If I like the first book, it would be nice to discuss the second book as well.

message 5: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Dusty wrote: "Does the group have threads for the sequels to Book of the Months? If I like the first book, it would be nice to discuss the second book as well. "

We don't have a specific thread for it, but you can always create a topic for it here. (And of course, you can also nominate a sequel to be the Book of the Month in a later month.)

message 6: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments The sequel to this is best read straightaway, in my opinion - the stories really are that tightly linked. (I almost wish they'd been put under one cover, but I do understand the constraints in the industry - costing out a title to make the numbers work is a huge factor). Also, the very best and most breathtaking revelations happen in the second part. I had to wait a year! You guys get to plunge in.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments I'm liking it so far ... First time reading Carol Berg. This website has opened up whole new worlds for me... not to mention books!

message 8: by Libby (new)

Libby | 19 comments I'm about 100 pages in and really enjoying it. Berg is quite skilled at presenting a large amount of information is a subtle form – one of my favorite qualities in an author. For example, all the complex information about the princes and their conflict, and the religious conflicts are being revealed leaf by leaf so that I'm very drawn into the story and anxious for more information. Often authors bombard you w/ too much info up front while setting up their story and you don't care enough about the characters to be involved yet.

@ Sandra - I've had the same experience with Goodreads and am so thankful for how it’s broaden my reading horizons!

message 9: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
I really want to read this book, but I am SO behind with my reading that I really can't squeeze it in... Still, this discussion has really motivated me to put it on my ever increasing list of "books to check out if I ever get catch up".

message 10: by Libby (new)

Libby | 19 comments Stefan - I hear ya - I have so many good books and am SO behind but I've missed teh Goodreads discussions so I just decided to pick a discussion for the month, drop everythign and read that book ;-)

message 11: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 486 comments I've only read two Carol Berg books so far, and I liked both. I do find her a slow read where you have to work and pay attention. That's good, but I can't manage books like that all the time. I do want to read this one, but right now, like others have said, I have so many books lined up I just don't feel like I can take on another one. All the same, it has gone on my "books for the future list" after all the good comments here.

message 12: by Dusty (new)

Dusty (dustye) | 4 comments That's weird. Even though multiple people have said Berg is a slow read, I haven't felt that way. Certainly not compared to Epic Fantasy authors like Martin or Erikson. Like Libby's comment about Berg's method of revealing complex plot information piece by piece, I found Flesh and Spirit's pace to be refreshing. Still love Martin and Erikson when they get rolling though.

message 13: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments You can't skim Berg - definitely you have to pay attention, she packs quite a lot of information into each sentence. But I don't find her a difficult read. Her plots don't lag at all.

message 14: by Christine (last edited Mar 19, 2010 10:24PM) (new)

Christine | 585 comments I'm only 15 pages into this book having finished This Alien Shore earlier today. Quite a change of pace (location and time...) from the other but seems promising

message 15: by Libby (new)

Libby | 19 comments I've now finished this one and highly recommend it to anyone on the fence. It did start a bit slow for me but immediately picked up. You do need to be attentive to the details in the beginning but it pays off. The outcome is a rich and wonderful tale.