Book lovers discussion

Random > Books about writing

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I am reading On Writing by Stephen King and wondered if anyone had read any books about writing that have been useful or inspirational.

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I was recommended Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life. Has anyone read this one?

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Techniques of the Selling Writer by Dwight V. Swain & How Fiction Works by James Wood have both been recommended to me.

I've listened to the audio book "On Writing", read by King & didn't like the time he spent dwelling on his accident. At least 25% of it seemed to be wrapped up in his tale of woe. I agree it was a shame, but this book wasn't the place for it. Otherwise, it was pretty good.

I've never even heard of "Bird by Bird".

message 4: by Diane (last edited Mar 01, 2010 05:50PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Jo -- Lessons from a Lifetime of Writing: A Novelist Looks at His Craft by David Morrell is another, although I haven't read it.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I like David Morrell's books occasionally. "First Blood" was great. I've probably read over a dozen of his books. That one would be interesting.

message 6: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I haven't got to the part about his accident yet. Its a shame to hear that he goes on about it too much.

I will check out the books you both mentioned!

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nic_shel) | 2 comments Also check out Steve Almond's This Won't Take But a Minute, Honey; it's two books in one - essays and short stories. A lot of the essays are very short, but very good. He has a lot to say about what makes an effective story!

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 30 comments Jo wrote: "I am reading On Writing by Stephen King and wondered if anyone had read any books about writing that have been useful or inspirational."

Why do I keep forgetting I want to read this one. I am going to put it on my list for April/May right now.

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Good idea! I hope you like it.