Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's February

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments My month ended with a pretty good count and some very good books! Through interesting timing I read three audio books with one finished at the very beginning of the month and one at the very end.

King, Laurie R; The Language of Bees 9 of 10 - finished 2/6/2010 Audio

Huston, Charlie; The Mystic Arts of Erasing all Signs of Death 9 of 10 - finished 2/15/2010

Connelly, Michael; 9 Dragons 9 of 10 - finished 2/19/2010 Audio

Graves, Sarah; Wreck The Halls 8+ of 10 - finished 2/20/2010

Barr, Nevada; 13 1/2 9 of 10 - finished 2/27/2010 Audio

The Language of Bees
I particularly loved Mary's independent adventures in this most enjoyable installment of the series!

The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death
one of Huston's trademark "how bad can it get" tales. A little dysfunction goes a long way on a wild ride!

Nine Dragons
Harry learns that doing things his way, full bore ahead, "take no prisoners style" can have serious consequences; and that sometimes you need to listen to your lawyer, and your heart and your daughter. Harry's loyalty is never in question, his distrust of others is unwavering and his determination makes him the kind of cop who gets his man.(or woman) The Hong Kong segments were fast action and not my favorite parts of the book, I like Harry in LA.

Wreck the Halls
read and enjoyed with Mom; not as much Christmas theme as I expected but a first rate mystery with several options for whodunit!

13 1/2
This was a compelling story, hard to read and yet hard to put down in the end. This book was ably read by Dan John Miller who does superb accents for New Orleans and Minnesota residents, some pretty grating female secondary characters voices but fabulous voices for the main characters.
How could mass murderers decide to kill, how could law enforcement and mental health professionals be so twisted and cruel?
Finely written and extremely suspenseful, I found myself listening to the audio and wishing I could skip ahead.

message 2: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Great month, Ann. I keep meaning to read Laurie King, but somehow keep pushing other books ahead of hers. Gotta stop doing that. I agree about Harry - he is better in LA.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments You have some good ones too Ann! I agree with you and Marcy about Harry staying in L.A. ;)

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2997 comments In Nine Dragons, I was amazed that he wrote Harry into the swath of destruction that he tore through Hong Kong.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Marcie:
The first time I tried a Mary Russell book by LRK in 1999 I was not caught up in the story and set it aside, but then I tried another and was hooked -- and went back to The Moor and enjoyed it much more. I highly recommend the series and her unusual take on Sherlock Holmes.

Marcy wrote: "Great month, Ann. I keep meaning to read Laurie King, but somehow keep pushing other books ahead of hers. Gotta stop doing that. I agree about Harry - he is better in LA."

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Barry:
It was quite a swath of destruction!

Barry wrote: "In Nine Dragons, I was amazed that he wrote Harry into the swath of destruction that he tore through Hong Kong."

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Hi Ann...thanks for the review of 13 1/2...I keep pushing that one down my list. No more!

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Mary
13 1\2 was very introspective on the "mental health" of the characters and at times painful to listen to, but good in a creepy way. ;)