YA Book Council discussion

Official Selections > Liar by Justine Larbalestier

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 246 comments Mod
Thanks for the great discussion on Liar tonight, guys! Yes, I was anticipating a lot of people being quite angry at the book (to quote Nancy: "1 Star. I did not like being lied to." :D ) and loved hearing about everyone's frustrations with Micah and her tall, occasionally hairy tales.

I also want to thank everyone who contributed to Tent City--it's hard times all around and I appreciate your help in supporting this awesome project.

Anybody else have anything to say/add about

Liar by Justine Larbalestier ?

I did forget to mention the cover controversy (the original cover was this:

which makes no sense if you have read the book.

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeg) | 248 comments Mod
Yes, it was a really great discussion! It was a good choice because there was plenty to discuss--regardless if people liked it or not. At least everyone finished it! =)

message 3: by Jane (new)

The cover:
Micah is supposed to be unattractive--

message 4: by Alethea (new)

And for those of you who need something to wash away the hate, read [image error] , it's cute and funny, more like The Willoughbys/Lemony Snicket.

message 5: by Alethea (new)

Jane wrote: "The cover:
Micah is supposed to be unattractive--"

I know, she's supposed to be kinda masculine--hence being mistaken for a guy. They still picked too pretty of a model even for the "corrected" cover.

message 6: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (r_a_black) | 70 comments True, I was still thinking that she looked too pretty.

message 7: by Alethea (new)

I thought she should at least have a unibrow. But I don't know anyone who would want to buy that book.

message 8: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (r_a_black) | 70 comments A unibrow? Is that mentioned? I was thinking more along the lines of super short hair.

message 9: by Alethea (new)

No, just me being imaginative.

Yeah, was wondering why they chose a model with longish curly hair.

- - -

Sarah's character weirded me out a bit... it was intriguing to me that she was both disgusted by and drawn to Micah.

Oh, also, in case anyone who hasn't read the book yet comes upon this thread, let's refer to the "plot twist" as W. You know what I mean. I like the idea of preserving the surprise for other readers.

As for the whole, is she lying or is she really a W., any final thoughts?

I think she's really a W.

message 10: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (r_a_black) | 70 comments I think that'll be easy to guess, Alethea, lol. I think she was telling the truth, David and I mentioned it on the ride to my house and I said I think that at least was truth. If not, then it's the most intricate lie because she drops so many hints throughout the entire book.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 17 comments I think I would like to believe that she is a W. because it would help bring some order and closure to the book. However, I sometimes wonder if there isn't something else. But Roxy makes a good point because if she isn't then it really was the most intricate lie of all.

message 12: by Jane (new)

Or unless she really does believe she's a W... instead of it being a lie, it's a psychological problem.

message 13: by Alfonso (new)

Alfonso | 64 comments Roxy wrote: "A unibrow? Is that mentioned? I was thinking more along the lines of super short hair."

I thought that they mentioned something about hair in the face?

message 14: by Jane (new)

I think it's because she doesn't pluck. Micah did mention that her eyebrows were growing into each other.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 17 comments The unibrow was mentioned when she was in the midst of transition not because of personal care preferences. It was when she was on the way back to NY from visiting her family.

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie S. This a was an interesting book because it was one of the first books that I've read that made me realize that I cannot trust everything the narrator says. Usually, I suspend all disbelief and get sucked into the book's atmosphere completely, almost like a trance. However, this book kept me on my toes, which was a different experience. Overall, I thought it was good.