Gigi's Company discussion

Group Reads Discussions > March '10 BotM: Master of Ecstasy by Nina Bangs

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Burket (kathleengigicompany) | 20125 comments Mod
Please post comments and discussion here for the March '10 Book of the Month:

Master of Ecstasy (Mackenzie Vampires series, Book 1) by Nina Bangs Master of Ecstasy (Mackenzie Vampires, Book 1) by Nina Bangs

message 2: by Kathleen (last edited Apr 25, 2010 07:05PM) (new)

Sometimes a book just resonates with you, and this book did that for me. Blythe 56-2310, the fifty-sixth Blythe born in 2310, has signed up for a time travel visit to Scotland in 1785. The trip was organized by that cosmic troublemaker, Ganymede, who some readers may be familiar with from other Nina Bangs series. (In fact, I believe that Master of Ecstasy was actually the first appearance of that cosmic troublemaker duo, Ganymede and Sparkle Stardust.) Ganymede has taken over the castle the belongs to a 500 year old vampire, Darach Mackenize. Ganymede is in trouble with the Big Boss because he has been a little too zealous in creating mischief across the cosmos, and has been ordered to be "good." Sparkle is as irrepressible as we have come to know her in other series; tempting Ganymede, as well as everyone else in the castle, into naughtiness.

In the year 2310, the Earth is over-populated, the people long-lived, and many turn to a company such as Blythe's employer, Ecstasy, Inc, to find happiness. Ecstasy, Inc, does not allow sensual contact between therapist and client. The goal of the therapist is to help the client rid themselves of their negative emotions. Blythe is in the past as a company sponsored test, and is assigned to Darach, who lives for sensual pleasure and seduction. Even Sparkle could not have wished for a better scenario in which to create mischief.

This book has a little of everything: good guys, bad guys, evil seductresses, sword fights, stories of enduring friendship, misunderstandings, clarifications, and, of course, Ganymede and Sparkle in the middle of it all. I enjoyed the plot, subplots, and fantastic characters that Bangs created in this book. This book is going on my keeper shelf.

message 3: by Kathleen (last edited Apr 26, 2010 06:15AM) (new)

Loved Night Bites (Mackenzie Vampires, #2) by Nina Bangs Night Bites, Book 2, Mackenzie Vampires, even more than Book 1, Master of Ecstasy (MOE). This book is the story of vampire Thrain Davis (Darach's best friend from MOE) and Cindy Harper, owner of the Woo Woo Inn. Cindy promotes the Woo Woo Inn as being haunted, but doesn't actually believe in the paranormal. Using the pseudonyms of Trojan and Prada, Ganymede and Sparkle Stardust are back doing their mischevious best to promote chaos as cosmic troublemakers. Werewolves, werecats, witches, wizards, vampires of various sorts, and assorted other paranormal guests, along with humans, make the Woo Woo Inn a delightful place to visit--only wish it were real so that I could schedule a long weekend. Darach and Blythe briefly appear in this book and seem to have lived happily over the last few centuries. There is a secret about Cindy Harper that makes the ending particularly poignant, but, no spoilers, you'll just have to read the book. Night Bites is a wonderfully romantic story.

message 4: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 3325 comments Mod
Thanks for your reviews, Kathleen. I've moved both to my Must-order shelf. Keeping fingers crossed I can get them next month.