Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Cheryl's February

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments My month was short, too. :-)
Just finished one last book.
Kisser Stuart Woods audio. As someone said last month, Stone is really slutty in this one. The plot revolves around the theater and the art world. More of a plot than some. 8

Desert Wives Betty Webb Read this after I finished The 19th Wife An indictment of polygamy revolving around a good mystery. 9

The Last Refuge Chris Knopf. Takes place in the Hamptons. Loved the characters, but the story itself was boring. 7

Night and Day Robert Parker. Jesse Stone mystery (audio) I haven't read a lot of Parker. This one was fun with swingers, stalkers and a wacko school principal. 8

Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof Blaize Clement I like this series; great characters and animals. 8.5

The Lock Artist Steve Hamilton. Stand alone. Highly recommended. 9

Getting Old is a Disaster Rita Lakin. A nominee for one of the awards at LCC. A group of "older" women think they are detectives. I didn't vote for this. 7

Sin & Vengeance CJ West. A self published book by a gentleman I met at Bouchercon. Exciting action - not at all what I expected. MC seeks revenge for what was done to his parents. 8.5

Still Alice Lisa Genova Harvard professor diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers. Book club read. Kept forgetting it was fiction in its depiction of "descent into dementia". 9.5

One Bad Apple Sheila Connolly. I was won over by the historical society and the genealogy. I did have it figured out early though. 8

message 2: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Lots of variety here, Cheryl! I'm trying to get myself to read Still Alice because everyone who has read it loved it, but I'm wary of the subject matter. Was it uplifting or magnificently depressing?

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3564 comments I read DESERT WIVES a few years ago and thought it was top-notch. I know I have another book from this series around here somewhere and need to dig it out. I read the newest in Blaize Clement's series in February and really enjoyed it. A very good series. Have also read Sheila Connolly's books. Pretty decent cozies.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Marcy wrote: "Lots of variety here, Cheryl! I'm trying to get myself to read Still Alice because everyone who has read it loved it, but I'm wary of the subject matter. Was it uplifting or magnificently depress..."

It was a little bit of both. I described it to others as disturbing rather than depressing. I think the woman who wrote it handled it very well.
I probably would not have read this if it weren't for my one book club. I am glad I did.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1562 comments Thanks Cheryl, for reminding me that I need to get the Robert B. Parker book. I have read three others on your list though!

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments The Lock Artist Steve Hamilton. Stand alone. Highly recommended. 9

Cheryl...a friend I met at BCon just recommended this one to me and I dl'd it yesterday.

February was really short, wasn't it?

message 7: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3564 comments Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "The Lock Artist Steve Hamilton. Stand alone. Highly recommended. 9

Cheryl...a friend I met at BCon just recommended this one to me and I dl'd it yesterday.

February was really short, wasn'..."

I love Steve Hamilton's Alex McKnight series books, but haven't read either of his standalones. Should try one, I guess.

message 8: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2895 comments The Lock Artist was nicely done, a very different voice than what he uses in the McKnight series. I'm glad to see his versatility showing.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 13885 comments Cheryl:
Thanks for your insight on Marcy's question about Still Alice. I haven't decided if I will be able to read it, but am glad to know your thoughts on the tone of the book.

Cheryl wrote: "It was a little bit of both. I described it to others as disturbing rather than depressing. I think the woman who wrote it handled it very well.
I probably would not have read this if it weren't for my one book club. I am glad I did. ."

message 10: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3487 comments Cheryl wrote: "Marcy wrote: "Lots of variety here, Cheryl! I'm trying to get myself to read Still Alice because everyone who has read it loved it, but I'm wary of the subject matter. Was it uplifting or magnifi..."

i totally agree with cheryl-it was a little of both. a VERY good bo0k, though. i think you'd like it marcy.

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3487 comments let me clarify that- i didn't think it was more sad in parts than depressing. very realistic, though- at least it seemed that it was.