Hunger (Gone, #2) Hunger discussion

Is this series sexist?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rita-bella (new)

Rita-bella Don't get me wrong I love the Gone books with a passion!
But I also find it interesting that both the main protagonist and antagonist are boy, each with a beautiful girlfriend.
All the different hero's of the story lines tend to be boys as well.

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz I don't think it is.

✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿ i don't think so. but if it is, its not such an integral part of the story. Its kinda overshadowed by action-adventure and lots of drama between two parties.

message 4: by Adesewa (new) - added it

Adesewa i think that is very untrue.There are plenty of evil and good female characters like lana and Nerreza.I definetly don't think Astrid and Diana are just girlfriends.They both are definetly main charachters who have have very important roles to play in the series

Rebecca I think that they just happen to be boys. The author is male so I think he may feel more comfortable writing from a "male perspective" (I put that in quotes because I don't think it is all that, if at all, different from the female perspective). As long as the girl characters are not all stereotypes and caricatures then I don't think it is sexist.

Cheryl I agree with Rebecca, I read all kinds of books, but if I am looking for a good kick butt Girl book I tend to look at the Female authors. We write what we know I know how girls think better, a guy would know guys minds better. Also Guys tend to be more aggressive it would be a very different book if it was girls in the lead.

Zoha Yeah I agree with Cheryl and Rebecca.

Maddie I dont think so because some of the girls have cooler/strnger powers like Dekka and The Breeze and Taylor. And Lanas pretty prominent and she's a girl. I think books are mainly slightly sexist coz everyone wants a strong, hot manly hero to save them.
I mean, would you call Harry Potter sexist?? Both antagonist and protagonist are male??

Nam You know, personaly, I think that sexist or not, it's still a great series.

message 10: by Ruth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ruth to be honest I don't like Sam That much. I like Dekka and Briana are the best Character In my opinion And they are both girls.

Nam i hoppe sam and astrid dont break up

maddie i really dontthink that its sexist whatsoever

Sᴀᴅɪʏᴀ well brianna Taylor and Dekka have cool powers and stuff and Jack has a cool power but they dont make him all brilliant and super awesome and stuff but a wierd nerdy kid (in my opiniion)

message 14: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike i dont think so at all.It has a huge set of stong female characters. Brianna, who is just kick-ass awesome. Astrid, who partly runs the town (in Lies). Diana, who has some control over Caine and isnt afriad to stand up. And finally, Dekka, who doesnt care what people think about her and she does whatever she wants and doesnt take crap.

Micah you have Brianna...She is the strongest female character. Hello, she did stand up to Drake, a bunch of times and that's not an easy feat lol

message 16: by Lili (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lili Rita-bella wrote: "Don't get me wrong I love the Gone books with a passion!
But I also find it interesting that both the main protagonist and antagonist are boy, each with a beautiful girlfriend.
All the different..."

I kind of agree with you but I dont think that Micheal Grant meant it like that. I mean, sure, they both have beautiful girlfriends but it's not sexist.

message 17: by Rose (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rose I don't think it's sexist, because although the 2 people with the biggest powers are boys with beautiful girlfriends, the girls are given due attention as well, and it's mentioned a lot (though I've only read the first 2 books so far), that Astrid is extremely important, as well as the Healer girl. You can't say the boys have all the power in this book.

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ No it's not sexist. This series is a series that has like 20 main characters, and like 10 of them are girls, and they have just as an important role as the guys in Perdidio beach. They don't seem weak at all.

message 19: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam it's a little bit sexist. women are only used for leverage.... plus the two main guys are the only four bars. astrid is weak and wimpy and useless. diana is a jerk with extreme beauty.

message 20: by christinE (last edited Jan 30, 2012 03:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

christinE Sam wrote: "it's a little bit sexist. women are only used for leverage.... plus the two main guys are the only four bars. astrid is weak and wimpy and useless. diana is a jerk with extreme beauty."

I agree cause all of the boys get the best powers with the most bars (Sam, Caine, and Little Pete) the girls are just sidekicks

Valerie The author is a guy... so it's not entirely his fault... but it kind of is.

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ Think of like every other book. Most of them are similarly viewed towards females. Are all books sexist? No.

Lauren No . If you read a book written by a female author , mostly the main characters or other important characters are female . In this case , the author is male , so the major characters are also male . I dont think this is sexist , it's just that it is probably easier to write from the same gender - perspective .

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

no

Ciera Rita-bella wrote: "Don't get me wrong I love the Gone books with a passion!
All the different..."

read the rest of the series if u havent yet and there becomes to b alot more main characters that are girls

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Charlie I luv Gale Hawthorne wrote: "Think of like every other book. Most of them are similarly viewed towards females. Are all books sexist? No."

YES CHARL YES!!!! NOT SEXIST!

Rhine I thought it was quite the opposite. Both Astrid and Diana have a lot of control of 'their' guys.

Diana is the only one who can actually control Caine (at least to some degree) and whenever Sam is going to do something stupid or not thought through, Astrid is usually the one that calms him down.

I don't think Grant was focusing on genders specifically, but on opposites in general, in order to emphasize the good vs. evil battle.

That's why there's no truly good and no truly evil character (even Drake was given a bit of good by sharing a body with Brittney). Each character has a bit of both in them, some more good and some more evil.

Ciera Like in plague with Caine and Diana but I think Caine just used Diana to do it! And *spoilers for FEAR!* Diana gains alot of power over Sam! Oh! i just figured alot out! hahahha

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't find it sexiest. Its how the author wrote it. He probably just wanted the book to be like how it was in the olden days, the more I think about what you said.

message 30: by Jae (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jae ℂᖺᗩᖇᒪἷᙓ §Gale§ wrote: "No it's not sexist. This series is a series that has like 20 main characters, and like 10 of them are girls, and they have just as an important role as the guys in Perdidio beach. They don't seem w..."

My opinion right on the money!

It Makes Sense In Context its not sexist its realistic. boys (and i hate myself for addmiting this) are stronger than girls. naturally they will be more prominant in the running of the fayz

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ Oh and also, if it looks like boys are leading- they tend to be the figure heads while the girls are manipulating everyone on the sly. It's a girls thing.

Ciera what you just said made no sense, Same, Astrid, Caine and Diana are the main characters so its not being sexist..... and in FEAR Astrid was the Main character.... Just what you said made no sense to me at all

message 34: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I would say no. Yes, there may be more male characters than female, but MG has said that the main four are Caine, Sam, Diana and Astrid, two of whom are female. It has been said many times in the books that the two boys rely on their respective female counterpart, and they play a major role.
Not to mention that Dekka makes up one third of the trio that protect the lake (in my head, her, Sam and Edilio have an epic friendship). Most of the female characters are badass, yes, but they're also very we rounded characters, in that we see their flaws as well as their strengths.

Cameron no it is so not sexist the main 2 characters happen to be guys

Madeleine I don't think the SERIES is sexist, but I think the CHARACTERS are.

Rebecca Madeleine wrote: "I don't think the SERIES is sexist, but I think the CHARACTERS are."

What makes the characters sexist? I have only read the first two books and im nearly halfway into the third and so far I havent noticed any sexism but I may be overlooking it.

Ciera Cameron wrote: "no it is so not sexist the main 2 characters happen to be guys"

The main two characters aren't guys, there's four main characters, 2 girls 2 boys. And I would say Diana and Astrid are the main characters in some of them. Just like how Sam and Caine are the main in some of them. MG makes sure he switched it up.....

Ciera Madeleine wrote: "I don't think the SERIES is sexist, but I think the CHARACTERS are."

AGREED!

Ciera Rebecca wrote: "Madeleine wrote: "I don't think the SERIES is sexist, but I think the CHARACTERS are."

What makes the characters sexist? I have only read the first two books and im nearly halfway into the third a..."

I would say Drake is sexist but he's kinda like that to everyone, but girls more

message 41: by Maria (new)

Maria I don't think so. I mean it's a book so it doesn't really matter a whole lot.

message 42: by Sonny (last edited Aug 24, 2012 02:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sonny The series is hardly sexist. List the strongest kids of the FAYZ and girls are the majority. Lana, Astrid, Diana, Brianna Dekka. These are probably some of the more interesting and well developed characters. Lana goes toe to toe with Darkness and overcame a lot of her inner demons, Brianna is "The Breeze!" Caine may have been in charge of the Coates kids but Diana was always there pulling the strings and acting as his moral compass. Astrid has always been "The Brain," of the FAYZ and survived exile for 3 months (picking up very practical skills in the process) and Dekka is probably the best. Surviving death so many times, always at the front lines, dealing with her internal struggles with being the only Lesbian in the FAYZ and knowing that you love what you can't have.

Yeah there are sexist elements in the book, usually arising from a certain characters point of view. Drake, is probably the biggest example. He hates girls and makes it his mission to make them suffer, but its always so rewarding when those same girls make a fool of him time and time again. Which I think is a strong message. Just some thoughts. :]

notyourfriend Well no, cause there is Brianna, Taylor, Dekka, Astrid...

message 45: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Sawyer It only makes sense for certain parts to be sexist because of each character's point of view but throughout the story there is hardly an sexism at all. For goodness sake several of the strongest characters are female (Lana, Dekka, Brianna, Taylor, Astrid, etc.) Even though the main antagonist and protagonist are male the girls are usually the ones running the show behind the scenes. All in all I can find very little discrimination throughout the plot of the book at all.

message 46: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben I don't think so. Maybe inadvertently. But still, Dekka, Brianna, Taylor, Lana...

Rachel Ahh nope I don't think so

message 48: by Rios (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rios Even though Sam and Caine are both boys doesn't mean there aren't good female characters. In fact I think Caine's girlfriend Diana and Sam's girlfriend Astrid are the stronger ones. Astrid takes care of her little brother and comforts Sam once he is under all the stress of the FAYZ. Diana is the one who got Caine's sorry ass out of bed after he went crazy. Plus Lana, Dekka, Taylor, and Brianna are all useful even more than Edillio, Quinn, and Jack (in my opinion)

Labibah Safdar No it is not sexist... I think this because boys are boys so boys are better to have the higher rein... I am a girl but I still think its true!

message 50: by Wertyuio (last edited Feb 07, 2017 10:13PM) (new)

Wertyuio After hunger the main antagonist becomes the darkness and while to say which gender is it exactly I said is a more female character. Caine just becomes some sort of anti hero but he isn't the main antagonist he is just a character that isn't as good as Sam.