The Virginia Woolf Reading Group discussion

Mrs. Dalloway > First Book; May 2008

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This will be our first book! Feel free to start discussions and questions.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan do you own this book?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

yes i do. you can get the select books of virginia woolf for 12 dollars!!!

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Motto Hi Chelsea & Megan
I've always wanted to read VW. I've had all her books sitting on my bookshelf for years so I'm really looking forward to finally reading them now that I have someone to discuss them with. I read Mrs. Dallawy years ago. I actually read it so I would understand The Hours by Michael Cunningham (another book that takes place in one day). I'll read it again and let you know my thoughts.
Happy reading,
Nancy

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

The Hours actually inspired me to pick that book first! It's wonderful to have you in the group. I own almost all of her books and sadly have only ever read To the Lighthouse. When I noticed that there were no other groups dedicated to Virginia, well..that needed to be changed!!!

message 6: by Tyler (new)

Tyler | 1 comments Hello all,
I just stumbled upon this group. "Mrs. Dalloway" happens to be one of my all-time favourite works of fiction. I'm re-reading it at the moment for a course on 20th Century Literature. It's definitely something I'd be keen on discussing further.

I'm sort of curious to hear which people prefer: "Mrs. Dalloway" or "The Hours"? Venerating "Mrs. Dalloway" as I do, "The Hours" really paled in comparison. I appreciated it, but it felt like a far cry from "Mrs. D." to me.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I am very curious about the same thing!!! How far is everyone in reading or re-reading the book????

message 8: by Flying (new)

Flying (flyingbook) | 2 comments Hello all,

I'm new to this group. I read Mrs. Dalloway 3 times in my life, and every time her words move me closer to the scene. I feel like following Mrs. Dalloway along the way to Regent park. I love Mrs. Dalloway as she described, "For Heaven only knows why one loves it so, how one sees it so, making it up, building it round one, tumbling it, creating it every moment afresh;... and the strange high singing of some aeroplane overhead was what she loved; life; London; this moment of June."

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate (awestruck) Hello everyone,

I'm new here as well. I adore Mrs. Dalloway as well as the rest of Woolf's work. I'm really happy to find some like minded individuals.

message 10: by Flying (new)

Flying (flyingbook) | 2 comments Many thanks your majesty. :)