History of the Early American Republic discussion

why this period in US History

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Ok I'll start. What makes you so interested in this period in history? For me it's the chance to trace the start, remaking, of a new, old, country. To analsyse what it did rigt and, also, what it did wrong.

message 2: by Lena (new)

Lena (Weathy) | 5 comments Mod
As for me, I say because the reality, the fact that these things really did happen, and how during this period, there are so many interestings to learn, that makes me interested. There was so much political turmoil, a new government was in action, almost like an experiment for the future, precedents being set, and I believe this is the interesting part. The people themselves are very complex and have many different opinions and views, and their interaction with one another, clashing over different subjects is truly something to learn about, especially when they are in their formal, polite and genteel guise. In general, some of these reasons apply to the fact of why I like history. I am still contemplating more reasons why this particular period.

message 3: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (dougkotti) | 20 comments The history of the early years of our Republic is always relevant. Study of that critical time in our nation's development deepens our understanding of and gives us a more intelligent perspective on governmental operation, our personal freedom, and political discourse. Reading about the creation of our venerable Constitution and about the people who labored to create and develop our Republic provides us with much better understanding of and appreciation for our democracy and its institutions.

message 4: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig I never had much interest in this period of history until graduate school! I had a good teacher and really began to appreciate what everyone has said: this is a cornerstone period of our history. It could have easily fallen apart and no U.S. Pretty amazing.

I'm also impressed by how men who had different interests came together and forged the Constitution. It is a hallmark of great leadership skills.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Bryan wrote: "I never had much interest in this period of history until graduate school! I had a good teacher and really began to appreciate what everyone has said: this is a cornerstone period of our history. ..."

It's amazing how a good teacher can inspire an interest in any given subject. Our thanks should go out to good teachers everywhere.

message 6: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig You got that right Vikz. I think I had to take the course and I was really happy I did. Later on I did a research paper on the causes of the War of 1812, which I really enjoyed.

message 7: by John (new)

John (silvjohn) | 2 comments I've always been a history buff, but also a theology buff. This era of history defines everything we are as a nation/community. But also clarifies an individual's responsibility to their person, their community and their spirituality.

Earlier philosophers expressed the beliefs that made themselves the foundation of the republic, but never before in recorded history had these beliefs been accepted and actually practiced.