Green Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Previous Book Clubs > 2010 - International Year of Biodiversity

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M (last edited Mar 18, 2010 03:24AM) (new)

M (wwwgoodreadscomprofilem) | 337 comments 2010 is dedicated to celebrating the world’s biodiversity and making progress on the UN Convention on Biological Diversity, which was established at the 1992 Rio “Earth Summit.” The Convention on Biological Diversity, which has been signed by almost every country in the world, has three main goals:

- To conserve biological diversity
- The use biological diversity in a sustainable fashion
- To share the benefits of biological diversity fairly and equitably

The parties to the Convention decided to make 2010 their deadline for achieving a “significant reduction of the current rate of biodiversity loss,” and so this year was declared the International Year of Biodiversity.

By learning more about Biodiversity we can better appreciate its value and do more to ensure its protection at home and around the world.
So, I propose, at all the members of "The Green" group:

I - A SELECTION OF READING CHALLENGES FOR 2010:

- 2 books on any biodiversity topic.

- 2 books about major world ecosystems: open ocean; coral reefs; lakes and rivers; arctic tundra; boreal forests; temperate forests; tropical forests; savannah; grassland/steppe/ deserts.

- 2 books on different life forms: plants; fungi; invertebrates (including insects); reptiles and amphibians; birds; mammals.

- 2 books about endangered or extinct species or about extinction or conservation.

I have created the "Listopia's List - The Year of Biodiversity " of The Green group which include books available for our two sections : Our current book club and the new Educator/Student book club.
Here's the Listopia's list. Feel free to add books that you'll read this year !

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4450....

And to propose reading ideas for our two seasonal book club !

message 2: by Marts (new)

Marts  (Thinker) (thinkersutopia) | 11 comments As regards this post, there's this rather great text, its called Biogeography by Cox and Moore, feel free to check it out, you could do a goodreads search for a summary.

message 3: by Marieke (new)

Marieke is it this one?
Biogeography

message 4: by Marts (new)

Marts  (Thinker) (thinkersutopia) | 11 comments Yes it is, this is the edition I have, though I think theres now an 8th out; Biogeography: An Ecological and Evolutionary Approach

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.