The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
156 views
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.1 (Michelleo's Task - Future Aspirations)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 25.1 - Michelleo's Task - Future Aspirations
Think of something you really want to have in the future and read a book with that thing on the cover. For example, if you want to buy a house someday, then read a book with a house on the cover. If you really want children, read a book with children on the cover. If you're planning to start a garden, read a book with flowers or vegetables on the cover.

When posting the book tell us what you want and why.


message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Great task!!! Will have to think on it a bit!


message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Oh, very nice. :o)


message 4: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Do only concrete things that can be pictured count or are abstract things (like peace, happiness, love) okay it they're in the title?


message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Aw man, if only Sex Dungeon For Sale! had a picture of the actual dungeon on the cover... :o(

No, just kidding. Or am I? :ox


message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 108 comments pjreads wrote: "Do only concrete things that can be pictured count or are abstract things (like peace, happiness, love) okay it they're in the title?"

Hmmm, great question. I like the idea of allowing this, but in order to keep it from being too complex, I'll only concrete things.


message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Cait wrote: "Aw man, if only Sex Dungeon For Sale! had a picture of the actual dungeon on the cover... :o(

No, just kidding. Or am I? :ox"


SNERK! Lucky I wasn't drinking anything or else I'd be cleaning off my monitor!

For mine, I want to learn how to dance, so would a picture of two people dancing work? Alternately, I'd also like a romantic relationship with someone, so I could just use the people on the cover for that instead...>_>


message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments I would like a romantic relationship too... or an apartment... can I have a picture of a man on the cover?


message 9: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments OK, that is the best one -- you could use any romance novel out there!!

Hmmm. . . maybe what I really want is a romantic vacation with my husband and NO KIDS!!! (it's doesn't have to be a *realistic* wish, right? LOL)


message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Sometimes it pays to be single!


message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Oh, unrealistic wishes count? Great! I could pick a book with a dozen hot people on the cover! My wish: a harem! *GRIN*


message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Michelle wrote: "pjreads wrote: "Do only concrete things that can be pictured count or are abstract things (like peace, happiness, love) okay it they're in the title?"

Hmmm, great question. I like the idea of a..."


what about tying it to a concrete thing? Like for example I think of the ocean or the beach when I think of peace. So you could read a book with the ocean/beach on it.

Just a thought. Do not want to make your task judgment more complex than needed!


message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 108 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Cait wrote: "Aw man, if only Sex Dungeon For Sale! had a picture of the actual dungeon on the cover... :o(

No, just kidding. Or am I? :ox"

SNERK! Lucky I wasn't drinking anything..."


Dancing is fine; if it looks like they're romantically involved that's fine too.

I guess that goes against my earlier comment about concrete stuff. So, if it can be illustrated in some way, then it works for this task (but you'll have to explain how the thing you want is illustrated if it's not completely clear).


message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 108 comments Nicole wrote: "Michelle wrote: "pjreads wrote: "Do only concrete things that can be pictured count or are abstract things (like peace, happiness, love) okay it they're in the title?"

Hmmm, great question. I lik..."


As long as you can explain how the thing you want is illustrated then it'll work.

That said, it should be something that is fairly realistic (maybe not realistic for you, but realistic for someone). So, if you want a romantic relationship or to learn how to dance, that's realistic. Or a really nice house, that's possible. However, world peace is just never going to happen so I think that would be out. Personal peace is possible though.

I hope this is making sense.


message 15: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Can it be something as impossible as space travel?


message 16: by Kate (last edited Feb 28, 2010 01:34PM) (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Okay being totally serious, can it be something that you want for the future, but you currently have it. For example, let me explain my situation. I am about to graduate college in May and move all the way across the country to a place I know no one. What I want in the future is good friends in the place I am moving. I have friends here, but what I really desire is to make friends there. If that is okayed, would this cover work?
Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinsky


message 17: by Angela (new)

Angela | 370 comments I just finished that book Kathryn and it was excellent!


message 18: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Golly, and I was just sitting here wishing for maid service! Or a little house elf to do all my housework.


message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 108 comments pjreads wrote: "Can it be something as impossible as space travel?"

Well, space travel is possible. So I guess it depends on the extent...human travel to a different universe is too far fetched, for example.


message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Golly, and I was just sitting here wishing for maid service! Or a little house elf to do all my housework."

Oh, a house elf... wouldn't that be splendid! (As long as Hermione didn't come after you with her S.P.E.W. stuff...)


message 21: by Michelle (last edited Feb 28, 2010 02:12PM) (new)

Michelle | 108 comments Kathryn wrote: "Okay being totally serious, can it be something that you want for the future, but you currently have it. For example, let me explain my situation. I am about to graduate college in May and move all..."

This is OK because you want a new friend, and the cover is fine if it makes you think of having a really great girlfriend (that's what it makes me think of).

This would also be in the same boat with already having children but wanting another.


message 22: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Michelle wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Okay being totally serious, can it be something that you want for the future, but you currently have it. For example, let me explain my situation. I am about to graduate college in ..."

Thanks!!!


message 23: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 148 comments OK...I really want to move back to Charleston, SC. That is definitely my biggest aspiration. Would this book be ok since it has a picture of a Charleston home on the cover? The House on Tradd Street by Karen White


message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandra72) | 726 comments My husband is up for a promotion in the next few months and the positon is in Europe. I wish he gets it so that we can move there. It would be either Paris or London. So a book with a landmark from one of these cities would work? Something like The Paris Vendetta: A Novel?


message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 108 comments Kathleen wrote: "OK...I really want to move back to Charleston, SC. That is definitely my biggest aspiration. Would this book be ok since it has a picture of a Charleston home on the cover? [bookcover:The House ..."

Yes


message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 108 comments Sandra wrote: "My husband is up for a promotion in the next few months and the positon is in Europe. I wish he gets it so that we can move there. It would be either Paris or London. So a book with a landmark f..."

Yes


message 27: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallysimply) | 541 comments My future aspirations are to live debt free and to travel a lot. Would money on the cover work for debt free? And for travel, would an airplane or something like that work? Or would it need to be a specific type of location (mountains, beaches, etc.)?


message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 108 comments Sally wrote: "My future aspirations are to live debt free and to travel a lot. Would money on the cover work for debt free? And for travel, would an airplane or something like that work? Or would it need to be a..."

Money works for being debt free. If you just want to travel generally, then some form of transportation will work; if you want to go to a specific place then some landmark from the destination will work.

Just be sure to point out the connection if it's less than obvious.


message 29: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments If my aspiration is to cook better, could I read My Life in France by Julia Child ? Solely cause if you saw Julia Child, you would think cooking.


message 30: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments My aspiration is to have a great career, can I read this? Holly's Inbox, at least my copy has a girls at her laptop on the cover in what looks like an office?


message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 108 comments Tanja wrote: "If my aspiration is to cook better, could I read My Life in France by Julia Child? Solely cause if you saw Julia Child, you would think cooking."

This is fine, just remember to explain the connection.


message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 108 comments Erin wrote: "My aspiration is to have a great career, can I read this? Holly's Inbox, at least my copy has a girls at her laptop on the cover in what looks like an office?"

This is fine, just explain the connection.


message 33: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) I am gonna look for a book that has a car on it as I wanna learn how to drive.


message 34: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 108 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "I am gonna look for a book that has a car on it as I wanna learn how to drive."

sounds good


message 35: by Sara ♥ (last edited Mar 01, 2010 08:15AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Michelle wrote: "pjreads wrote: "Do only concrete things that can be pictured count or are abstract things (like peace, happiness, love) okay it they're in the title?"

You could try and find a book with a peace sign or happy face or heart on it. The Year Of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty comes to mind, as well as a bunch of Lauren Myracle books. She's got:
Peace, Love, and Baby Ducks by Lauren Myracle , ttyl (Internet Girls, #1) by Lauren Myracle , ttfn (Internet Girls, #2) by Lauren Myracle , and l8r, g8r (Internet Girls, #3) by Lauren Myracle

Not sure what the format of Peace, Love, and Baby Ducks is like, but ttyl, ttfn and l8r g8r are written in instant message format, I believe...


message 36: by Usako (last edited Mar 01, 2010 08:44AM) (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert LOL :P


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments My future dream is to take care of dogs and find them good homes. Can someone suggest a good dog story. I read "Marley and Me" already and I will be reading "Because of Win Dixie."


message 39: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Jayme wrote: "My future dream is to take care of dogs and find them good homes. Can someone suggest a good dog story. I read "Marley and Me" already and I will be reading "Because of Win Dixie.""

You just need a dog on the cover or something. I don't think that the book has to be about dogs. It is about the cover image. At least that is my understanding.


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments I need help with finding a dog on the cover.


message 41: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Smitten by Janet Evanovich
The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Fowler
Sorry, those are the only two I can think of. What you can do is click on "my books" and then change the view to "covers" and the covers will be displayed larger and you can see if there are any dogs in them.


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments OOO, I wanted to read "The Jane Austen Book Club" cool.


message 43: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments I want to have a career in medicine, particularly pathology. I think I'll read either
The Law of Similars by Chris Bohjalian , Better A Surgeon's Notes on Performance by Atul Gawande , or Complications A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande . Luckily, I own them all. :o)


message 44: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Jayme - Stray Affections: A Novel is really good that deals with your wish to find good homes for dogs.


message 45: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I am going with this recommendation from Cait. I want to have a child some day soon and this cover has a little girl on it!

The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters by Elisabeth Robinson


message 46: by Diane (last edited Mar 01, 2010 05:51PM) (new)

Diane | 742 comments Jayme wrote: "I need help with finding a dog on the cover."

Lost & Found by Jacqueline Sheehan Now & Then by Jacqueline Sheehan Marley & Me Love and Life with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan My Dog Skip by Willie Morris Timbuktu by Paul Auster


message 47: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Oh! I just realized I can read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I only have 3 more people ahead of me on the library's hold list. Yay!


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments Diane, I will take those into consideration.


message 49: by Rach (new)

Rach (rachlovestv) | 263 comments Ok, this might seen silly considering all the big aspirations people are listing, but I haven't had my hair cut in over a year and want to go in and get a really nice haircut. Can I use that as my aspiration, and read this book?

The Book of Samson by David Maine


message 50: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 108 comments Rachel wrote: "Ok, this might seen silly considering all the big aspirations people are listing, but I haven't had my hair cut in over a year and want to go in and get a really nice haircut. Can I use that as my ..."

works for me!


« previous 1
back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.