New Moon (Twilight, #2) New Moon discussion

Where's the irony?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (last edited May 20, 2011 11:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stephen In chapter 8 Adrenaline. Bella is sitting on a gurney while Jacob holds her hand and Dr. Snow stiches her up. She says that while he's doing it she's trying NOT to think of the irony.

I'm missing something. Where's the irony? I'm usually good at spotting ironic situations but nothing seems particularly ironic about this to me.

Can someone explain. I'm usually not this dense.

Audrey I know right. Some people just don't know how to use iony corectly and that is why it is the #1 most missused word in the english language!

Kate I think the lack of responses here is because everyone agrees with you. There's nothing ironic about it.

message 4: by Hylian Princess (last edited Mar 31, 2011 10:37PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hylian Princess Well, yes there is.
Bella has been in situations like that before. Except Dr. Cullen was the one who attended to her.
And which book was it that she got glass in her hand and Dr. Cullen took care of that too? I think Edward held her hand until he couldn't stand the smell of her blood.. I could be mistaken..

Kristen Hylian Princess wrote: "Well, yes there is.
Bella has been in situations like that before. Except Dr. Cullen was the one who attended to her.
And which book was it that she got glass in her hand and Dr. Cullen took car..."

It was New Moon.

Actually, it was because Jacob was holding her hand while Edward couldn't even stay in the house with her - b/c of the blood - when Carlisle was fixing her up from the b.day party when Jasper tried to kill her.

Sara-Beth Im not sure that fits into the catagory of ironic....

Kristen Sara-Beth wrote: "Im not sure that fits into the catagory of ironic...."

I know. I sort of think the same thing, but that's what she was talking about.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I did not find that part ironic either, but I did think that it was interesting that at the beggining when edward was talking about how romeo was put in that situation by his own pure stupidity. But as soon as he thinks bella is dead he runs off to Italy; i am pretty sure if he had succeded bella would have killed herself as well. Creating essentially the same situation.

Jesla this book dose not fit in with irony

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa I just took it to mean that while Edward is the one that she wants, Jacob has the ability to do things for her / with her that Edward would have difficulty with. i.e holding her hand while she is bleeding.

@ Niki Kae, I think that represents the learning though. Edward is commenting on Romeo's situation before he's put in a similar situation himself. I'm guessing he then probably understands where Romeo is coming from. Like how in Eclipse, he criticises the characters of Wuthering Heights but then later on comes to identify with and understand Heathcliff.

Kadie D♥ I think it suits sarcasm more.

Stephen To get back to my original point...

Irony is when one says or does something that conveys a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning.

For example if Dr. Snow was somehow hurting her by stitching her up, that would truly be irony and was sort of what I thought I was missing.

message 13: by Gerd (last edited Apr 19, 2011 08:03AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gerd I would agree with Lisa there, Stephenie meant to allude to a sense of irony in the situation Bella finds herself in.
In this case Edward fleeing country to keep her save, and she almost breaking her neck to get back the memory of him.

Audrey Kimberly wrote: "Audrey wrote: "I know right. Some people just don't know how to use iony corectly and that is why it is the #1 most missused word in the english language!"

I believe that some people don't know ..."

I only missed the r!

message 15: by Drew (new)

Drew Kimberly wrote: "Audrey wrote: "I know right. Some people just don't know how to use iony corectly and that is why it is the #1 most missused word in the english language!"

I believe that some people don't know ..."

Give her a break. There is a thing called "sticky keys" which makes your computer not understand some letters. Mine has it.

Zeeshan Mahmood irony is in the presence of Dr. Snow... :)

Amanda Lopez yeah, i still dont get it...

☆♪Taylor♪☆ i know this is off topic, but my mom will only let me read the first two books, so can someone please fill me in on everything that happens in the last two? thanks!

Heather The irony is situational - she was injured trying to get closer to Edward (see him again through adrenaline), she ends up getting closer to Jacob - the opposite of what she actually wanted.

Stephen Thank you Heather! That was one aspect of the situation that I'd not considered and it actually fits the story and is a good example of irony.

I think you've finally given me the answer that I was hoping existed.

I don't suppose that it would be too ironic to point out that I was "in the weeds" and I was set straight by Heather...

Rachel Cousins Its because Edward says to her that she would be better off with someone like Mike who would be able to hold her hand while she was being stiched up. This is after Jasper tries to eat her and Edward has to leave the room cos he cant stand the blood.

☆♪Taylor♪☆ W.O.W.
i still don't see why my mom won't let me read them

Juliet you will when you find out about a certain chapter in Breaking Dawn

☆♪Taylor♪☆ what happens?

Angelee Taylor wrote: "what happens?"

Well lets just say its not suitable for people over 12 maybe even higher

message 26: by Gerd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gerd I guess they think about the reputedly rather nasty birth scene in No.4?

Though I'm not quite sure why she wouldn't let you read the third, if you read one and two, I don't remember that being particularly more violent than the others - and it brings part of the cycle to an end actually.

Juliet Taylor wrote: "what happens?"

DO you know about Renesmee?

Anum One thing is for sure most of Ms. Meyer's language usage was rather appalling... but alas, I found the books entertaining so whatever... :)

☆♪Taylor♪☆ well that's about as clear as mud! now can you PLEASE tell me?!?!!?
*puppy-dog eyes*

Stephen Taylor, You're off topic. As much as any teenaged girl can be in discussion about a series of teen girl meets vampires books. Perhaps you should take this query over to another venue.

Emily Tosoni Earlier in the book Edward said this "If you'd cut yourself at Mike Newton's house, with Jessica there and Angela and your other normal friends, the worst that could have possibly have happened would be what? Maybe they couldn't find you a bandage? If you'd tripped and knocked over a pile of glass plates on your own- without someone throwing you into them- even then, what's the worst? You'd get blood on the seats when they drove you to the emergency room? Mike Newton could have held your hand while they stitched you up..." The irony is that Jake is doing that. He's holding her hand while getting stitched up.

Rachael I think it is because, Edward said something like she would be better off with someone normal like Mike who could hold her hand when she got hurt and instead she has Jacob, werewolf, who is definitely not normal holding her hand.

Jewel Stephen wrote: "Thank you Heather! That was one aspect of the situation that I'd not considered and it actually fits the story and is a good example of irony.

I think you've finally given me the answer that I ..."

It's like rain on your wedding day . . .
I couldn't resist:-)

ضحى الحداد I didn't get it either

Kerri Irony has always confused me, mostly because people misuse the word all the time, like Alanis Morisette, and no one has really taken the time to teach it correctly. Anyways, given your definition nothing is really ironic about New Moon. It's just one of those words thrown out there to sound smart.

Mrs. Adrian Ivashkov Forever Maybe Bella just creates an ironic situation for herself?

message 37: by Erie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erie Well, I agree with Heather since it makes perfect sense and for those who have doubts you can read the following excerpt from Wikipedia:

"A situation is often said to be ironic (situational irony) if the actions taken have an effect exactly opposite from what was intended."

message 38: by Myah (new) - added it

Myah Taylor There IS irony. When Jasper tried to attack Bella and Carlisle fixed her wounds Edward couldn't hold her hand. When Bella got hurt riding the bikes Jacob could hold her hand. When Edward was out of the picture, in the same situation of her getting hurt, the exact opposite happened. It also is a little ironic because Edward said "Mike could hold your hand if you got hurt." And it ende up being Jacob.