Love Inspired Historicals discussion

It just wouldn't be a Picnic without the Ants

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Ok guys, lets go on a picnic! Where are we having it and what are we gonna bring? We can even post recipes. :D Gotta have my Dr. Pepper and I'll bring the chocolate chip pound cake.

Chocolate Chip Pound cake

Ingredients
1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
1 cup oil
1 cup sour cream
4 eggs
6 ounces chocolate chips
1 cup nuts (optional)

Directions
1. Beat ingredients for 10 min on medium, this is the trick to tasting amazing!
2. Add chocolate chips and nuts.
3. Bake 350F about 1 hour in Bunt pan, do the toothpick trick to double check it around 45 minutes It turns out VERY moist!

Chocolate Frosting
•3 cups sifted powdered sugar, divided
•2/3 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
•1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
•5 to 6 tablespoons milk, divided
•1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
BEAT 1 cup powdered sugar, cocoa, butter, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in remaining sugar and milk until smooth. Makes 2 cups.

message 2: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
Wow, that's some cake! I need to think about what I will bring. As to where we'll have it, how about beside a stream in a grove of trees. The sound of water and shade are both great in my opinion.

message 3: by Heidi (last edited Feb 27, 2010 11:56PM) (new)

Heidi | 985 comments I know I shouldn't have dessert before dinner, but how often do we all get together? It's a special occasion, so I will allow myself to indulge in a small piece of Jennifer's chocolate chip pound cake. I know I shouldn't have the caffeine, but the cake smells too good to resist, so I will just have a few bites. Mmmmmmm...delicious Jennifer! I love pound cake and the rich vanilla taste makes it extra special! I so enjoy the taste of vanilla!

I wanted to bring a favorite of mine to the picnic today, waldorf chicken salad sandwiches on croissants. As you bite into the croissant, you first experience the buttery and flaky delight that is the croissant, and then you reach the chicken salad, a creamy, crunchy, and sweet combination that completes the culinary symphony in your mouth on the perfect note. I hope you all enjoy them! Oh, and feel free to take a 7-up, if you like, it's my favorite soda.

I haven't made the waldorf chicken salad sandwiches personally, well except the ones today ;) but the recipe I brought each of you, in case you like them, seems like it would taste like the waldorf chicken salad sandwiches I order at my favorite resturant.

:: Waldorf Chicken Salad ::

Adapted from The New Best Recipe

Ingredients:

* 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts shredded.
* 2 medium celery ribs, cut into small dice
* 2 medium scallions, white and green parts, minced
* 1 large crisp apple, cored and cut into medium dice
* 6 tablespoons chopped, toasted walnuts
* 1/2 cup mayonnaise
* 1/4 cup sour cream
* 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon
* 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
* Salt and ground black pepper

Directions:

Mix the shredded chicken and celery, scallions, apple, walnuts, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, and parsley together in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve. Can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 day.

To make the sandwiches:

* Your favorite bread
* Lettuce
* Waldorf Chicken Salad (see above for recipe)

Serves 6 as a main course

message 4: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments Ok lets go basic! im bringing some sunkisk Orange soda i dislike dr pepper.
I think we need some chips I will bring chicken flavour as Its my favourite and some others which you can substitute your favourite.
is there a bbq there to bbq meat if so I'll bring some sausages to bbq.

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrie) | 735 comments Jennifer wrote: "Ok guys, lets go on a picnic! Where are we having it and what are we gonna bring? We can even post recipes. :D Gotta have my Dr. Pepper and I'll bring the chocolate chip pound cake.

Chocolate..."

oh please.. it make me hungry now. great recipe.

message 6: by JanetTronstad (new)

Heidi -- I think I'm going to have to make your Waldorf Chicken sandwiches. They sound wonderful. And, Ausjenny, your orange soda swounds good to me, too.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Yum! I'm gonna have to try that recipe too Heidi!

Ausjenny, I like orange soda too!

message 8: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Hmmm, I vote with Janet for location. A flowing stream in a grove of trees sounds wonderful. As for what I will bring...here is one of my favorite picnic recipes. There is no mayonaise to worry about on a hot day. And I'm always asked for the receipe.

Spagetti Salad

1/2 lb. spaghetti, broken in half, cooked and drained and cooled.
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/2 cucumber, diced
1/4 cup diced cheddar cheese
1 tablesp. snipped chives
Combine in a large bowl

Dressing:
1/2 cup oil (I use light virgin olive oil)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup of sugar (can add more if you like)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teasp celery salt
2 Tablesp. lemon juice.
Whisk ingredients together and pour over the spaghetti mixture, refrigerate until cool.

Happy eating!

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Dorothy wrote: "Hmmm, I vote with Janet for location. A flowing stream in a grove of trees sounds wonderful. As for what I will bring...here is one of my favorite picnic recipes. There is no mayonaise to worry abo..."

Sounds good!

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "Wow, that's some cake! I need to think about what I will bring. As to where we'll have it, how about beside a stream in a grove of trees. The sound of water and shade are both great in my opinion."

I can see it now...flowers on the hill swaying the breeze. We have our cute red and white picnic blanket with the wicker baskets....Sitting under the shade of the grove of Oak Trees(I just love oak trees)listening to the sound of nature all around us! LOL I could write a story about this if I was decent at writing like y'all.

message 11: by JanetTronstad (new)

LOL, Jennifer -- you just wrote a scene description like you'd find in a book. It really takes me there. The blanket and wicker basket are perfect.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "LOL, Jennifer -- you just wrote a scene description like you'd find in a book. It really takes me there. The blanket and wicker basket are perfect."

:D Thanks Janet. You're sweet.

message 13: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments and you know what else there is. there are chipmonks chirping in the trees and I think I saw some squirrels and there are beavers in the stream and I think there are some raccoons and deer over the other side.

message 14: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments If it was Australia you may find some Kangaroos and it would be gum trees so you may find Koala's

message 15: by JanetTronstad (new)

Oh, I think we should picnic a while in our oak trees and then whisk ourselves to Australia for a picnic there, too. Are their any different kinds of foods we'd find at a picnic in Australia? I forgot to add deviled eggs. To me they're a must have at picnics.

message 16: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments alot of people go to the beach to picnic here.
or to the bush if you live near a national part they will go there. When we have had church picnics we often go bush. and often have a bbq (barbecue) we have salads there too. I guess im not big on them. we take sandwiches too. I will nomally take vegemite ones. Sweets or desert would be cake, pies, but mainly things that dont spill and are easy to eat.
alot of the national parks have picnic areas with barbecues to use there. times like summer if you are going bush you cant cook in the open because of fire bans but you can use the provided gas barbecues. Alot of people will take a cooked chicken like in america.

message 17: by JanetTronstad (new)

Ausjenny -- it does sound like our picnics are quite similar. I wonder who ever thought of the first picnic -- and I wonder if everyone around them thought they were crazy. In the old days, I doubt people went away from their normal eating places deliberately and had something like a picnic. What do you think?

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments You make me want to find that out now....time for google!

message 19: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments Im not sure. It may have started with communal eating. where everyone seemed to eat together then as people got into housing etc they started to eat there own houses. It seems in the medieval days eating seemed to be in group gatherings rather than individual family groups.

message 20: by JanetTronstad (new)

I looked up picnics, Jennifer, like you suggested. here's one of the finds --

The earliest picnics in England were medieval hunting feasts. Hunting conventions were established in the 14th century, and the feast before the chase assumed a special importance. Gaston de Foiz, in a work entitled Le Livre de chasse (1387), gives a detailed description of such an event in France. As social habits in 14th century England were similar to those in medieval France, it is safe to assume that picnics were more or less the same. Foods consumed would have been pastries, hams, baked meats, and so on...Picnicking really come into its own during the Victorian era, and enters into the literature of that period. Dickens, Trollope, Jane Austen all found pleasure in introducing this form of social event into their fiction. One can see why: a rustic idyll furnished an ideal way of presenting characters in a relaxed environment, and also provided an opportunity to describe a particularly pleasant rural spot. Painters have also been drawn to the subject...Monet, Renoir, Cezanne..."
---Oxford Companion to Food, Alan Davidson [Oxford University Press:Oxford] 1999 (p. 602)

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I find this bit of information that was interesting.

What is the origin on the word picnic?

You may have read the gossip sweeping the Internet on the origin of the word picnic. Some claim that picnic is derived from lynching parties of blacks. This is incorrect.

Instead, the origin on the word picnic is French (piquenique) and was invented long before the atrocities towards blacks took place in America. This French word - piquenique - signifies an outing with food - similar to the word's meaning in English. At these piqueniques, the attendees would all bring food to the occasion, similar to what we call potlucks today. The outdoor concept of a picnic did not originate until the 19th century.

So, how did this word originate? We are unsure what the word pique actually means. There are two options: leisurely eating (picking) or a delicacy of food. Nique was selected since it rhymed with Pique.

Historians have found this French word in references outside of the French language as early as 1748 and into English by around 1800.

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Picnicking, which first evolved in early nineteenth century Britain, is an ideological act, freighted with values for 'nature' and 'culture', food and taste, aesthetics and ethics, community and solitude. To picnic is to consume not only particular food, but also a specific environment chosen according to an aesthetic standard, and a particular form of sharing food according to certain standards of behaviour. It means creating a moveable feast and overcoming difficulties and inconveniences, not only for preparation and transportation,but also for consumption and cleanup. Yet picnicking is the pleasurable pursuit of a leisured people, so the difficulty of moving the feast has some reward. The reward is primarily ideological: it enables the participant to share a form of eating that creates relationships between small groups of people, natural landmarks, and cultural ideals. These relationships form a consciousness of national identity. Picnicking, especially for early nineteenth-century picnickers, was thus away of performing Britishness

One of the people responsible for creating the modern picnic is Dorothy Wordsworth.As one of the great walkers of the Romantic period, it might be assumed that she would naturally go on many picnics. However, her (albeit fragmentary) journals do not record any outdoor eating until 1800, and not with any regularity until much later. For the most part, Dorothy followed the eighteenth-century custom of eating either before setting out or at one's destination. There were practical reasons for this, but the taste for a certain kind of meal necessitated close proximity to the kitchen.

Tons more of info is at this site http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/romantic...

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "I looked up picnics, Jennifer, like you suggested. here's one of the finds --

The earliest picnics in England were medieval hunting feasts. Hunting conventions were established in the 14th cent..."

That's cool

message 24: by Heidi (last edited Feb 28, 2010 08:45PM) (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Jennifer wrote: "Janet Tronstad wrote: "Wow, that's some cake! I need to think about what I will bring. As to where we'll have it, how about beside a stream in a grove of trees. The sound of water and shade are b..."

Jennifer, you and Janet together described the scene of our picnic perfectly, thanks guys! I also like to think of what it might be like if we got on a plane and hopped on over to Australia to see the Koala's, or have our picnic on the beach! I love both the beach and Koalas so perhaps our next picnic can be in Australia :) Everyone brought such yummy treats, thanks for bringing them everyone!

message 25: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments its not everywhere you will find the koala, but in the bush you never know you may find more kangaroos or even echidna or wombat.

message 26: by JanetTronstad (new)

Ausjenny -- you have such interesting names for your animals in Australia. Are they named from the British settlers, the native Australians, or ???

message 27: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments some are from the native words I believe.

message 28: by JanetTronstad (new)

Has anyone been on an unusual picnic? I'm thinking an evening picnic or maybe (I'd go for this) a re-creation of the kind of picnics they had in Victorian days?

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Ausjenny wrote: "its not everywhere you will find the koala, but in the bush you never know you may find more kangaroos or even echidna or wombat."

What the heck is an echidna?

message 30: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments its an australian animal!

message 31: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments here is a link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echidna
we have had one in our back yard once.

message 32: by JanetTronstad (new)

LOL, Ausjenny, now that Jennifr mentioned it, I realize I have no idea how to say the word. It sounds like a sneeze. I'm going to need to look it up.

message 33: by JanetTronstad (new)

Thanks, Ausjenny == it's kind of cute in a prickley way.

message 34: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments pronounced E kid na
They are cute but sharp prickles
I have seen them in the zoo and burrowing into the ground its really cool to watch

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "LOL, Ausjenny, now that Jennifr mentioned it, I realize I have no idea how to say the word. It sounds like a sneeze. I'm going to need to look it up."

lol! i thought the same thing!

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Ausjenny wrote: "pronounced E kid na
They are cute but sharp prickles
I have seen them in the zoo and burrowing into the ground its really cool to watch"

It's kinda a cross between and anteater and a porcupine.

message 37: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments kinda but different it is a marsupial and has a pouch

message 38: by MaryE (new)

MaryE Stifflemire | 499 comments Ausjenny wrote: "kinda but different it is a marsupial and has a pouch"

It reminds me of hedgehogs....cute

message 39: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 466 comments Sorry, I'm late for the picnic! I loved reading Jennifer and Janet's research. I like the heroes and heroines in my books to go on picnics. Gets them by themselves in a casual setting that's acceptable for the times.

message 40: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 53 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "Has anyone been on an unusual picnic? I'm thinking an evening picnic or maybe (I'd go for this) a re-creation of the kind of picnics they had in Victorian days?"

Janet and all - sorry I missed out on the picnic - can we do it again? I'd bring the baked beans - love to make baked beans. (My daughter even told me I make the best!)

Anyway, I went to a Victorian Tea once at the Webster County Historical Museum in Red Cloud, NE. At that time, I worked for the Willa Cather Foundation, and teh foundation had lots of period clothing that had been given to them. Another gal and I went through the clothes and got to wear beautiful Victorian dresses and carry beaded bags - wish I could have kept the items. They were beautiful, gorgeous, feminine ... I felt so pretty!

message 41: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 53 comments Oh, and I'd go for a picnic in Australia - my goal is to visit there someday :-)

message 42: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Debbie wrote: "Janet Tronstad wrote: "Has anyone been on an unusual picnic? I'm thinking an evening picnic or maybe (I'd go for this) a re-creation of the kind of picnics they had in Victorian days?"

Janet an..."

I love going to Victorian high teas! I wish they'd had those wonderful dresses and bags for us to dress up in though! They had hats, which was fun, but to dress in full dress, how cool! :)

message 43: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments Today should be a good day for a picnic near a river or lake its going to be a nice day today when the sun comes up.

message 44: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments We can always have a picnic Debbie! :) I would love to try your bakes beans!

message 45: by JanetTronstad (new)

Oh, Debbie, the dress-up Victorian tea sounds like such fun!!

message 46: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Hehehehe..I dressed up in Victorian dresses at my best friend's grandmother's house. She had this old victorian mansion too. LOVED the house! We had tea in our outfits with our hats and gloves. It was so fun!

message 47: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Jennifer wrote: "Hehehehe..I dressed up in Victorian dresses at my best friend's grandmother's house. She had this old victorian mansion too. LOVED the house! We had tea in our outfits with our hats and gloves. It ..."

How cool Jennifer! I want to dress up! I sure wish there was somewhere, like the tea place Debbie went to, that I could do that at!

message 48: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments I will have to have a picnic on my own cos Im sorry today I feel like being casual! dressing up on a warm day is not my idea of fun.

message 49: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Ausjenny wrote: "I will have to have a picnic on my own cos Im sorry today I feel like being casual! dressing up on a warm day is not my idea of fun."

LOL

message 50: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4954 comments but hey give it a few days! wading in the water would be cool.

« previous 1