Travel Literature Makes My Heart Beat Faster.. discussion

Headed to Morocco; can you guys recommend any good books?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I'm headed to Rabat, Morocco this summer. Can you guys recommend any good books? Anything really but books that include history, sociological or political events are especially useful. Thanks! I've gotten great suggestions in the past.

message 2: by John (new)

John I think you'd enjoy A Handful of Honey: Away to the Palm Groves of Morocco and Algeria by Annie Hawes - author gets to know a wide range of folks during her time in the region.

message 3: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 53 comments Political and sociological.... one Princess did write of her experiences. The post has caught me on the hop as because of the political and family consequences of her imprisonment etc. caused quite a stir. The book was I think in Arabic but is bound to be translated... must search!

message 5: by Meghan (new)

message 6: by Harvey (new)

Harvey | 53 comments Sounds interesting. Both my wife and I have not yet been to the Maghreb, though her family name associates her with the place (El-Maghrabi). Linguistically, not everyone speaks Arabic as it is more Berber country. Thankfully I have not forgotten my French! Thanks for the recommendation!

message 7: by Trine (new)

Trine (trinespageongoodreads) | 8 comments Also Morocco: In the Labyrinth of Dreams and Bazaars.

Hope you'll have a wonderful time in Morocco, Cathy. :-)

message 8: by Packabook (new)

Packabook | 11 comments You could try Dreams of Trespass: Tales of a Harem Girlhood by Fatima Mernissi.

And then there's Year of the Elephant: A Moroccan Woman's Journey Toward Independence by Leila Abouzeid It is feminist fiction, but an account of Morocco's struggle for independence - and also interesting in that I believe it was the first novel written by a Moroccan woman to be translated into English.

Suzi

message 9: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Excellent suggestions; I'm intrigued by books by or about women in Morocco. This Goodreads group is a great resource.

message 10: by Lynetta (last edited Jul 20, 2019 04:05AM) (new)

Lynetta Jawck | 1 comments If you want to explore the history and cultural values of Morocco then Moon Morocco is the best book to read especially in terms of travel guide. In the same token, you also must read this article about the best things to do in Morocco desert tour to increase the exposure of your journey. If you are looking for a good tour company then I would recommend you Marrakech Sahara Tours in this regard.

On the other hand, some other books that I can suggest are the following:

- In Morocco by Edith Wharton
- Morocco - Culture Smart! The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture by Jillian York
- The Food of Morocco by Paula Wolfert

Have a safe journey :)

message 11: by Eng.Haneen (new)

Eng.Haneen M. | 3 comments 4×4 Marrakech excursions

Agency specializing in the organization of hikes and trekking in Morocco, in the High Atlas, walks with pedestals and mules, walks in the desert with camels, or hikes treks in the Saghro and Siroua (Anti-Atlas) massifs, in addition to discoveries of flora and fauna in the sorites of the Middle Atlas; with official guides to the natural desert and mountain areas in Morocco. Other cultural circuits such as the Moroccan imperial cities, the fortified cities of the Marcan coast and adventure trips in four-wheel drive in the mountains and southern Sahara of Morocco.

message 12: by Akiko (last edited Nov 30, 2020 11:01AM) (new)

Akiko (wwwmoroccotabiartetourscom) | 1 comments the best Book i recommend you to Read before Traveling to Morocco is Rough Guide to Morocco. if you need more info such as a desert tour or best things or places to visit, then visit Morocco tabiarte tours website , it can provide you all info you need.

message 13: by Alan (new)

Alan Josephs | 3 comments Agree with the recommendation on The Caliph’s House.