Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Weather in your books

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
It's pounding rain here and with all the weather in the news I am conscious of it when plotting my next few books. I've already written the opening scene of one and there's a snow blizzard going on. I've been aware for some time that I like snow in the books I write. I've only done one Dry Creek story (I believe) that was summer. The others have either had rain/mud problems or snow. I'm just wondering if other readers/writers find themselves drawn to a type of weather (not that you'd consciously buy a book for that, but the cover elements might come in to play -- a snow scene always intrigues me more than a beach scene). Wondering what everyone else thinks --

message 2: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (JillianHart) Hi Janet--I have a lot of snowy winter books. And if not snow, then nice sunny summer books. Not many spring or autumn books for me. I think it's because I love both winter and summer. Do you think weather plays more of a role in the historicals you write over the contemporary?

message 3: by JanetTronstad (new)

Hi Jillian -- Yes, when I think historical, I think winter. I don't know why -- something about winter storms just seems more dramatic to me I guess.

message 4: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I like blizzards I guess cos we dont get them but I actually like the summer weather better. Funny for Historical like the wagon train ones or even farming I guess I like think more spring/summer and the hot heat and then the freak storms that can hurt the crops.
I guess also with snow people think Christmas. Here we dont. here christmas is summer. Which is why I think Christmas books with snow etc is nice on a hot day.
I think more than half the books I have read this year are summer or late summer coming into autumn a few of them then go into thanksgiving.

message 5: by Heidi (last edited Feb 27, 2010 05:48PM) (new)

Heidi | 985 comments I like fall or winter settings best, I think they are the most romantic. In winter you have whispered conversations by the fireplace, ice skating on a frozen pond, sleigh rides, and Christmas. In the fall there are things like, walking past beautiful and colorful falling leaves, the chill in the air that makes a gentlemen want to lend you his coat and pull you close, and fall festivals and dances with hot cider. I guess all of those things combined with the fact that I am not a big fan of summer (no offense Jenny :), and spring, well, it's lovely, but just not as romantic in my mind.

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Jillian wrote: "Hi Janet--I have a lot of snowy winter books. And if not snow, then nice sunny summer books. Not many spring or autumn books for me. I think it's because I love both winter and summer. Do you t..."

I have to say I am reading Gingham Bride right now and I just LOVE it Jillian, and part of the reason I love it are the vivid winter scenes. I particularly like the one with Fiona and her horse in the beginning and how Ian feels about the scene and keeps recalling it. It's so very romantic!

message 7: by Jillian (last edited Feb 27, 2010 02:59PM) (new)

Jillian (JillianHart) Janet--for me, too. : )

Heidi--that's sweet of you. I had so much fun with all the snow in that book. The winter I wrote that was the snowy-est on record where I live in Washington State and as I was writing the snow found itself in my story. : )

Ausjenny--I like blizzards, too. Well, fictionally! I used to live in Phoenix and winter was summery-ish there too. : )

message 8: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
I like to set the season when I write too. I've done all seasons but fall and winter are my favorite. I guess that's why I live so far north where we rarely get any TRUE spring weather and summer's are short. I never realized that!

Went rummage and bargain shopping today with a favorite cousin and then went and bought small pots of interior wall paint to test out at home.

Hope to paint this summer!

message 9: by JanetTronstad (new)

Lyn -- it was my sister who first said to me 'you know, you moved to Southern California to escape the Montana winters and every book you've written is set in a Montana winter." I hadn't realized it until then -- it was a few years ago and I have since written some books that are not set in winter, but I admit I do like a blizzard or something in my books.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Heidi wrote: "Jillian wrote: "Hi Janet--I have a lot of snowy winter books. And if not snow, then nice sunny summer books. Not many spring or autumn books for me. I think it's because I love both winter and s..."

It's a good book! Definitley got some good snowy scenes in it!

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Lyn wrote: "I like to set the season when I write too. I've done all seasons but fall and winter are my favorite. I guess that's why I live so far north where we rarely get any TRUE spring weather and summer's..."

You can come to texas to get a real spring and summer! :D

I like Spring and Fall the best, but snow is always romantic too. There's just something romantic about being caught in a spring shower and kissing in the rain! LOL :D

message 12: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrie) | 735 comments Jennifer wrote: "Lyn wrote: "I like to set the season when I write too. I've done all seasons but fall and winter are my favorite. I guess that's why I live so far north where we rarely get any TRUE spring weather ..."

not even the hurricane season. ( grins)

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee (steelergirl83) | 211 comments Hahaha I'd kill for a book with a beach theme right about now...I'm sick of snow :-(

message 14: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I think when it comes to reading it sometimes depends on the season you are in. like if you are in winter it is good to read about heat! or if you are in summer reading about winter.
for america summer has july 4th and labor day. I think I like the long days of summer as you have swimming and cook outs ect. Autumn you have the falling leaves but not the freezing cold. Spring is fun too.
The book I started is April and going to the Netherlands and tulips!

message 15: by Melody (last edited Feb 27, 2010 06:02PM) (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I am sick of snow and cold right now, but there is something magical about reading about a snowstorm. (I am not a fan of rain in any way, shape, or form!)
Maybe it's because it brings people closer together, esp when you can't escape outside! :) We had visitors here 'stranded' overnight because of snow storms, and it was fun with them having to stay over. :)

message 16: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 466 comments Fun discussion! For all the reasons Heidi expressed so beautifully winter is a very romantic setting. And can be used effectively to add tension to the story. I haven't set a book in winter. Perhaps I'm avoiding the cold. LOL I prefer fall. But sometimes the season is important for plot reasons like in The Substitute Bride when widower farmer Ted needs a mother for his children so he can do the spring planting.

message 17: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Great discussion! I had to jump in on this one, though I should be writing. I love storms. I always have. They make me want to write. (Yes, I know I'm strange!) So it is not surprising that weather/storms play an important role in my books. I do not play favorites though. So far the score is even between snow storms and thunderstorms. My upcoming book will break the tie.
One thing I do is take pictures of my lawn and the surrounding woods in all kinds of weather, then I can pull up pictures of whatever season I am writing about. I also had my husband buy me cds of thunderstorms, mountain streams, etc. I like to listen to them as I write. It's too bad you can't hear a blizzard. LOL What about it everyone? Any ideas or suggestions? Do you other writers have any tips about things you do to help you write those weather scenes?

message 18: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 80 comments My current WIP takes place mostly in an underground concrete facility. When the characters do get to "escape" from the confines of the facility, the weather, nature, and everything that surrounds them becomes even more important because it provides such a stark contrast to their normal environment.

message 19: by JanetTronstad (new)

Lee -- I can see how the absence of weather can be it's own atmosphere. Thanks for the reminder.

message 20: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Janet when does your blog post go up?

message 21: by JanetTronstad (new)

Ausjenny -- do you mean for my blog at Love Inspired authors? I'm going to post it now -- it's more on the weather topic.

message 22: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Oh ok there was a note come through on facebook by some of the fellow authors so was wondering if i was going mad when i looked and it wasn't there.

message 23: by JanetTronstad (new)

Ausjenny -- I had trouble posting it. I tried to schedule it first and it didn't take so I pulled the post back. Finally, I just posted it. Sorry for making you crazy.

message 24: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments thats ok seem the scheduling on blogs is playing up at present