Art Lovers discussion

Artist Quotes

Comments Showing 1-50 of 158 (158 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments Chagall on Nature
"The habit of ignoring Nature is deeply implanted in our times. This attitude reminds me of people who never look you in the eye; I find them disturbing and always have to look away."

message 2: by Ben (new)

Ben Carlsen (arkholt) | 6 comments My favorite quote from an artist is by Andy Warhol:
"I am a deeply superficial person."

My second favorite, while not necessarily a quote, comes from Jamie Wyeth, who says he finds oil paint to be very "edible." When I paint with oils, I often feel the same way. I feel similar about printing ink.

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments Those are great, Ben! So you've actually tasted oils and printing ink? So, what are they like? :-)

message 4: by A. (new)

A. (almas) | 232 comments "The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."
— Vincent Van Gogh

message 5: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments That's a good one, Amal. I ran across that one recently in my reading. I believe he is about 30 yrs old when he said that. I have found that he is quite philosophical!

message 6: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1898 comments Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to look at a painting.

Ad Reinhardt

message 7: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments So true! That's funny, Ruth.

message 8: by Harley (new)

Harley | 21 comments For a book of quotes by artists, check out: Artist to Artist: Inspiration and Advice from Artists Past and Present, compiled by Clint Brown.

This is one of my favorites:

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
— Pablo Picasso

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments "I invent nothing, I rediscover."
-- Auguste Rodin

message 10: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1898 comments Art is a lie that tells the truth.

Pablo Picasso

message 11: by Dvora (new)

Dvora Apparently one of the things Van Gogh did during a mental episode was to eat his oil paints.
Ben wrote: "My favorite quote from an artist is by Andy Warhol:
"I am a deeply superficial person."

My second favorite, while not necessarily a quote, comes from Jamie Wyeth, who says he finds oil paint to be..."

message 12: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments "Andy Warhol is the only genius I've ever known with an I.Q. of 60."
Gore Vidal

message 13: by Andrew (last edited Mar 08, 2010 07:12AM) (new)

Andrew (zunook) I like a lot of quotes by Winston S. Churchill. He is my mentor on smart comebacks :). He also was a very smart man with good sayings like the one I am posting here.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston S. Churchill

And yes it is a Art quote, because in art everyone always has to stand up for their art to someone else at some point. No one appreciates every single piece of art, which can cause one to gain enemies from defending their work. Van Gogh had that problem throughout his life, he loses his friends and has a hard time gaining new ones, most people don’t care for him during his life time. I am betting it could be due in part to him standing up for his Art! Just my guess, not been told why he has no friends, so tell I get set straight I am sticking to my conclusion ;-)

message 14: by A. (new)

A. (almas) | 232 comments Andrew wrote: "I like a lot of quotes by Winston S. Churchill. He is my mentor on smart comebacks :). He also was a very smart man with good sayings like the one I am posting here.

"You have enemies? Good. Tha..."

My guess Van Gogh did not have friends b/c he never met someone who understood him. I think his intensity alarmed those who surrounded him and drove them away. I feel that most artists are misunderstood.

Perhaps he did not have any friends during his life time, but he gained many friends @ different times; I'm one of them :)

message 15: by Dvora (new)

Dvora Amal, I agree with you. From what I've read about him so far, his only real friend was his brother Theo (although there were some in Arles who cared for him). That is part of what is so tragic about his life. You read his letters and feel he is a wonderful person. And then of course, there are his wonderful paintings. I recently read a book -- an historical novel called Sunflowers, I think she is a Goodreads author -- the story of which had him in a love affair with the prostitute involved in his cut ear episode. The book would have been fun to read except that I felt it greatly diminished the reality of his tragic life.
Amal wrote: "Andrew wrote: "I like a lot of quotes by Winston S. Churchill. He is my mentor on smart comebacks :). He also was a very smart man with good sayings like the one I am posting here.

"You have enemi..."

message 16: by A. (new)

A. (almas) | 232 comments Dvora wrote: "Amal, I agree with you. From what I've read about him so far, his only real friend was his brother Theo (although there were some in Arles who cared for him). That is part of what is so tragic ab..."

Yes, Dvora I have Sunflower in my "to buy" shelf and I'm following the author's blog. I read in one of her post that she recommends Daniel Craig for Vincent if her book was to become a movie.

Here is a link to her blog @ goodreads: Casting "Sunflowers"

I'm still not sure I wanna read it though b/c I'm afraid it will disturb the image I have in mind when I look @ his paintings.

message 17: by Dvora (new)

Dvora Yes, well my image of Vincent was already pretty firm, so she didn't disturb it. If the book hadn't been about him but just some fictional artist, I would have enjoyed it more. As it was, I found it pretty annoying for being too far from what experts have to say about his life.
Amal wrote: "Dvora wrote: "Amal, I agree with you. From what I've read about him so far, his only real friend was his brother Theo (although there were some in Arles who cared for him). That is part of what i..."

message 18: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments "I do not literally paint that table, but the emotion it produces upon me."
Henri Matisse

This sentiment, apparently, is not unique to Matisse although the words are his. van Gogh also made a similar statement.

"I see a chance of giving a true impression of what I see; not always literally exact, rather never exact, for one sees nature through one's own temperament."

message 19: by A. (new)

A. (almas) | 232 comments Heather wrote: ""I do not literally paint that table, but the emotion it produces upon me."
Henri Matisse

This sentiment, apparently, is not unique to Matisse although the words are his. van Gogh also made a simi..."

Van Gogh does one more thing; somehow he makes the viewer experience those emotions!

message 20: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments Painting is so poetic, while sculpture is more logical and scientific and makes you worry about gravity.
Damien Hirst

message 21: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments Believe it or not, I can actually draw.
Jean Michel Basquiat

message 22: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection.
Michelangelo

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments I myself do nothing. The Holy Spirit accomplishes all through me.
William Blake

message 24: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments "The Creator made Italy from designs by Michelangelo"
Mark Twain

message 25: by Ben (new)

Ben Carlsen (arkholt) | 6 comments Heather: I like the one by Damien Hirst. I think someone like me, who is more of a two-dimensional artist, would like it, too. I don't know how someone who is a sculptor would look at it, though. :)

message 26: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments Wright on Abstract
"I've been doing a lot of abstract painting lately, extremely abstract. No brush, no paint, no canvas, I just think about it. "

message 27: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments O'Keeffe on Flowers
"I decided that if I could paint that flower in a huge scale, you could not ignore its beauty."

message 28: by Patty (new)

Patty Barnett (barnettfineart) | 24 comments Heather wrote: ""The Creator made Italy from designs by Michelangelo"
Mark Twain"

love Italy, love Michelangelo, love this quote!!!
wonderful.

message 29: by Patty (new)

Patty Barnett (barnettfineart) | 24 comments Heather wrote: "Wright on Abstract
"I've been doing a lot of abstract painting lately, extremely abstract. No brush, no paint, no canvas, I just think about it. " "

this is great too. just like the way I paint

message 30: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments Heather wrote: "Wright on Abstract
"I've been doing a lot of abstract painting lately, extremely abstract. No brush, no paint, no canvas, I just think about it. "

Patty wrote: "this is great too. just like the way I paint"

LOL :-)

message 31: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Apr 08, 2010 09:16PM) (new)

Heather | 8355 comments Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. ~Pablo Picasso

message 32: by Marts (new)

Marts  (Thinker) (thinkersutopia) It's on the strength of observation and reflection that one finds a way. So we must dig and delve unceasingly. - Claude Monet

message 33: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments FRIDA KAHLO ON SELF-PORTRAITS

"I paint self-portraits because I am so often alone, because I am the person I know best"

message 34: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments Abakanowicz on Art

"Art will remain the most astonishing activity of mankind born out of struggle between wisdom and madness, between dream and reality in our mind."

message 35: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments Monet on Repetition

"I know that to paint the sea really well, you need to look at it every hour of every day in the same place so that you can understand its way in that particular spot and that is why I am working on the same motifs over and over again, four or six times even."

message 36: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments Fellini on Artist's Work

"All art is autobiographical; the pearl is the oyster's autobiography."

message 37: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 257 comments Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?
Andy Warhol

message 38: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah Hull | 4 comments "All art is at once surface and symbol.
Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril. Those who read the symbol do so at their peril. It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors."

"When critics disagree, the artist is in accord with himself."

"We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
All art is quite useless."

Oscar Wilde

message 39: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments Rebekah, I'm speechless.

message 40: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments

message 41: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments LOL! And regarding Oscar Wilde's quote, I have a lot of useless stuff around my house!

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Heather wrote: "O'Keeffe on Flowers
"I decided that if I could paint that flower in a huge scale, you could not ignore its beauty.""

my fav too,
Alice

message 43: by AC (last edited May 27, 2010 11:55AM) (new)

AC | 151 comments One thing to remember about symbols, is that their meaning is not, in fact, intrinsic to them, but is extrinsic.

Take the symbol: O

What does it mean?

Place it in the following series, and it means one thing
-2, -1, 0, 1, 2...,

Here it means something else....
M, N, 0, P, Q

Place it in on a buddhist temple, it is the Mandala; or...

0 0
|
(______)

... and it means something entirely different.

This is one of the principal reasons why I was never sympathetic to Jung. Or to the many movements and theories that derive from Jung.

One problem I suspect with some artists is that they sometimes confused what works aesthetically with the various theories they adopted or concocted to explain what worked aesthetically.... In other words, there is always a tendency -- in MANY walks of life -- to take one's metaphysics too seriously.

message 44: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Oct 11, 2010 07:54AM) (new)

Heather | 8355 comments "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
Salvador Dali

message 45: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work."
- Chuck Close

message 46: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) "I dream a lot, I do more painting when I'm not painting, its in the subconscious."
Andrew Wyeth

message 47: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1898 comments Lobstergirl wrote: ""Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work."
- Chuck Close"

Amen.

message 48: by Robin (last edited Oct 29, 2010 11:17PM) (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Too true.

message 49: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Great art is like an electric shock --Jawelenski

message 50: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8355 comments Hi Ed! I just noticed that you are the newest member of our group! Thanks for just jumping right in and joining our discussions! Looking forward to more of your comments.

P.S. I really like this painting, love the colors!

« previous 1 3 4