The Wire discussion

Greek tragedies

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jaclynfre) | 18 comments You know the scene where Mr. Prez is reading the sample standardized test question (Season 4), and it involves Greek character names and themes? Is this a real Greek tragedy or a simulated one? I found it moving that although Michael always looked like he was dozing in class, he apparently was paying attention as the story spoke to his situation. Not a coincidence and I'm sure not one that anyone in this forum would miss.

Just wondering if anyone had heard of this Greek tragedy before. I believe it involved Dionysius (sp?).

message 2: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 1 comments Yes it does exist in the Greek lore. I don't recall the details either, but the two are best of friends, and one is accused of a crime and is to be put to death. The other one allows himself to be held to be put to death in his friend's place in case he doesn't return. Of course the accused arrives just in time, and in honor of their friendship the judges let them both go. Or at least that's how I remember it. I don't think it involves Dionysius aka Bacchus--he's the god of wine and such.

Just one of the things I know that I don't know why I know.

message 3: by Jackie (last edited May 16, 2008 04:56AM) (new)

Jackie (jaclynfre) | 18 comments Jeanne, Thank you!! Yeah, that's what threw me too. I was wondering if it was Dionysius (the god of wine, etc.) who would have been this self-sacrificing or if it were some other character. Mostly likely I misheard the character's name during the episode.

On a different note . . . didn't you find the visual metaphor of the volcano in this episode, in a subsequent scene involving the character of Michael, a tad too clever? It would be almost kitschy if the subject weren't so tragic. Believe me, I'm not one to minimize the effect of abuse in any way. As Michael is about to explode in the worst way . . . a foreshadowing wink from the writers to anyone paying attention, no?

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jaclynfre) | 18 comments I misspoke . . . Dionysius was the tyrant in the story.