Fans of Norah Lofts discussion

The Little Wax Doll
This topic is about The Little Wax Doll
Pseudonyms: Curtis & Astley > NL's insouciance re black magic

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (last edited Feb 26, 2010 08:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2049 comments I've just finished re-reading the The Little Wax Doll. I just love the way NL can make you believe the really unlikely, and to actually accept it as probable!

message 2: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments Uh-oh, Barbara just sent me back to the dictionary! I've seen that word - insouciance - but never knew what it meant or how to say it. For any others like me, it means "casually unconcerned" and according to Oxford, the 'in' is pronounced 'm'.

NL seemed to be fascinated by the occult and by ghosts. I wonder what she thought of UFO stories?

message 3: by Barbara (last edited Feb 27, 2010 10:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2049 comments I don't know of course, but I think she would not be a UFO believer .
NL seems to me to be be of Nature, of power and magic that pertain to the earth or conversely of heaven. I just can't see her as being into aliens . What do you think ?

message 4: by Werner (new)

Werner | 669 comments Barbara, I'm inclined to agree with you. From what I've read of her work, she doesn't strike me as the UFO type (if there is such a "type" :-)).

message 5: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments When I was researching the Suffolk area for the Layer Wood map, I ran across articles about UFO sightings in a park there, in the 80s I think, so possibly those stories may have intrigued NL. I guess my only interest in UFOs is because of the description of Ezekiel's vision about the wheels, and Elijah's fiery chariot. People have long tried to connect these with UFOs. Who knows - maybe they are heavenly conveyances. I've watched Star Trek too much!

message 6: by MaryC (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 674 comments Here's a bit of folklore that I've known for many years but first encountered in print in one of NL's books (I think it was To See a Fine Lady): Years ago, when I asked my mother, who was quite a gardener, when potatoes should be planted, she laughed and said that people "back home" usually planted them on Good Friday. I laughed, too, for the same reason--that the date can vary by a month or so. Only later did it occur to me that the custom might be a holdover from a VERY ancient one that Sir James Fraser would recognize.

As for UFO's, aren't all O's, F or not, U until you I them? But for those who are interested in the subject and recognize the name Gray Barker, I have a story of my own.

message 7: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments Ha! Mary, it took me a minute just to sort out your question with the F's U's, and Os! I don't recognize the name Gary Barker, but am interested in all your stories. UFOs, the occult, and ghosties all spook me out!

message 8: by MaryC (last edited Feb 28, 2010 08:03PM) (new)

MaryC Clawsey | 674 comments OK, Sylvia, you asked for it! In the 1960s, Gray Barker wrote and published a book called They Knew Too Much About Flying Soucers, which included mention of "three men in black" who sometimes menacingly showed up at the door of someone who was delving too deeply into the subject. This was followed by a book called Flying Saucers and the Men in Black, by Albert Bender, an associate of Gray's. (The word "three" may also have been in that title.) Gray, whom as a very little girl I knew slightly when he atteneded the college where my father was then dean and who had been a friend there of one of my favorite cousins, went on to publish other books about UFO's and related matters, mostly involving incidents in our home state of West Virginia. The public library in Clarksburg has a room dedicted to him, and evidently people come, at least occasionally, from long distances to use it. Although he died well before the movie Man in Black was made, his early books have to have contributed at least some germs of ideas to it.

Well, just a few years ago, I got curious about Gray again and googled him. And what I found is that most of what he wrote was pure fiction! It was a HOAX! And, alas, most of the people I knew who would have had a good laugh over that revelation were dead.

Now, back to Baildon!

message 9: by Barbara (last edited Feb 28, 2010 11:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2049 comments Speaking of Baildon...

I just learned that poor Amy Dudley, Elizabeth 1's Lord Dudley's ill-fated wife stayed a night or so at Baildon (well, Bury St Edmunds ) before she went on the Cumnor House where she was found at the bottom of those stairs..

message 10: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia (sylviab) | 1361 comments Well, Mary, I'm hanging onto that word HOAX! It's already close to 5 am, and it wouldn't take much incentive for me just not to sleep at all! I concur - back to Baildon.