Study Buddies discussion

Monthly Book Group > February 2010 - Discuss Sabriel

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Sooo sorry about starting this thread late!! But I figure if anyone has already read this they could reminisce a bit. :D

Sabriel Sabriel (The Abhorsen Trilogy, #1) by Garth Nix

Feel free to discuss anything related to the book. This is actually part of a trilogy (and I think he's written a short story set here as well).

If your post contains spoilers please note at the beginning of your post.

message 2: by Samantha (new)

Samantha I really enjoyed this book because of the strong female protagonist (shades of Yelena, lol). She really kicks butt.

They world building is really interesting, as is the complex magic system he developed. You don't really find a lot of YA discussing necromancy in such a riveting way.

message 3: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 481 comments Mod
No worries, Samantha! I am still reading the book, will join in late :D Anyone else who feels ready to discuss, go for it!

message 4: by Zed (new)

Zed I loved this book!! Just the first few pages made me feel excited to be entering a new world. I usually steer clear of books containing necromancers, cos I feel too creeped out but this was different.
I went straight out and read 'Lirael' and 'Abhorsen' the other books in the trilogy. They all got a straight 5stars from me.
So THANKs to whoever recommended this book.
And Samantha, I agree, Sabriel is a great character, just like Yelena.
POSSIBLE SPOILER BELOW

I have to say the scene with Mogget scared me silly...

message 5: by Min (new)

Min (minbuchanan) | 159 comments This is one of my favorite books/series ever. I was completely engrossed in Nix's world.

I need to go and re-read. : D It's been about two or three years since I've read them.

Zed, it's funny that Mogget scared you... He's absolutely one of my favorite characters. I love him & the Dog from the second book.

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 67 comments This is one of my favorite books series as well. I love the whole world that Nix creates. The audio book is fantastic, narrated by Tim Curry!

Zed, I have to say that scene freaked me out too!

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Zed wrote: "I loved this book!! Just the first few pages made me feel excited to be entering a new world. I usually steer clear of books containing necromancers, cos I feel too creeped out but this was differe..."

I'm glad to see that you liked the series! :)
I think I would have been a little apprehensive at first, too, about necromancy (I mean, it is necromancy after all, lol).

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Kimberly wrote: "This is one of my favorite books series as well. I love the whole world that Nix creates. The audio book is fantastic, narrated by Tim Curry!

Zed, I have to say that scene freaked me out too!"

Tim Curry! Awesome!

message 9: by Zed (new)

Zed Mindy wrote: "This is one of my favorite books/series ever. I was completely engrossed in Nix's world.

I need to go and re-read. : D It's been about two or three years since I've read them.

Zed, it's funny ..."

Yes the cat and dog are def great characters - I kept trying to pick up clues as to what they were/ where they came from.
I can see why Mogget would be a favourite with the dry wit and cool (cat-like) attitude to all the drama. It was just that one scene which made me a bit more wary of him/her (is Mogget male/female??). I was interested to see how Sabriel would interact with her after that..

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 67 comments Mogget is male.

SPOILER WARNING

At the end of the book when Sabriel gets her father out of Death they talk about Mogget and her father says that Mogget usually took on the form of a male dwarf with a beard.

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie (ktie) | 4 comments I love this book. I actually listened to the amazing audio book 2 years ago then found it at hastings and read it! I love sabriel but the rest of the series is iffy so far (I'm on the 3rd book abhorson)

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Sabriel was my fav in the series by far, but I did like the others, too. :)

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 67 comments Actually I liked the second book even better. Lirael was an amazing character, and me being the book geek that I am the idea of the library was intriguing.

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie (ktie) | 4 comments Have u read abhorsen? If u have please tell me if its good because I'm stuck on the first couple chapters

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 67 comments Yes I have read it. It's good, although not quite as good as the first two. However it gets better the farther you get into the book, so don't give up on it yet!

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie (ktie) | 4 comments Ok lol thank u ill have to go find it and start readin again XD

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13 comments I've owned this book for a few years, and it's always been one of my favorites. Nix isn't one of my favorite authors, but he really outdid himself here. The characters are very well-developed, the plot unique (especially, as mentioned, in its portrayal of necromancy), the danger scenes gripping and the tragic ones heart-rending. So . . . in other words, one of those books that I've read so many times that I'm utterly sick of it, and I can only adore from afar. *sob* ;D

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13 comments P.S. My library FINALLY produced 'Soulless', by Gail Carriger, and it was also a very entertaining book. Gotta love a damsel in distress who manages to still be a 'damsel in distress' without being too terribly distressed, right? ^_^