21st Century Ghosts - Joe Hill discussion

Archives > Joe Hill "Horns" Signing @ Book Revue 2/26/2010

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (last edited Feb 27, 2010 08:37AM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Hello all... As you might know, I was supposed to go to Long Island today for Joe Hill's book signing event. Unfortunately, Mother Nature changed my plans.

Luckily, Kathy was still able to go, and she texted me some pictures, along with getting books signed for both Kandice and I. Because she's the greatest! :D

Click here to see the pictures: http://s952.photobucket.com/home/Good...

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Thanks for putting up the pics, Becky! I wish everyone could've been there! He was so funny and friendly! He started the evening by saying that he wasn't going to be reading from his own book, but from his sister's book. Then he held up a book by a Susan Hill. (Now those of us that are true fans, know his sister's name is Naomi, but he was just joking.) He then made a joke about his coming from a literary family. Talk about joking about the "elephant in the room" so to speak.

I don't know if you can make up my "horns" in the picture with him. The publisher gave them away to help promote HORNS, and I wore mine with pride! :)

And as a little tidbit of information, he told me that there will be at least 2 more GUNPOWDER books coming out. I couldn't have been more excited since I love that novella! I highly recommend it! (As I do everything by him!)

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments P.S. I told Joe about our group here and he had heard of GoodReads and he said he's been meaning to join. He was really interested and double checked our group name with me before I left and said he would look for us!

How cool is that???

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) OMG. I think I'd probably die if he really joined our group!

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) OK maybe that's a little dramatic, but I would definitely use lots of exclamation points!!

message 6: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments Kathy, I can not express how excited (and appreciative) I am right now! He just looks so much like his dad...I am in shellshock a bit. If he really shows up here my fingers will probably lock up.

I saw the horns for sale on E-Bay with the book. They are just too cute.

message 7: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 130 comments Awesome pictures. Wish you could have gotten up there, Becky....

Looks like Kathy had a good time though.

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Me too... Next time though! :)

message 9: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 130 comments I created an Events folder and put this in there. Hopefully we'll see enough stuff going on that we'll need a folder for it all....

message 10: by Rachel (last edited Feb 27, 2010 08:35AM) (new)

Rachel | 92 comments Glad you had fun Kathy! Great pics, unfortunately the weather is canceling my journey to Pittsburgh. I'm gonna call the store and see if they'll send me a signed copy of Horns though. *EDIT* On second thought, I saw on Hill's Blog that there might still be signed copies available at @ Book Revue...can i get my grubby lil hands on one? :)

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) OK... Since the photos are locking up Betsy's computer (and presumably others too), I'm going to remove the pictures and just add a link to Photobucket where you can view them all with (hopefully) no issues. :)

message 12: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments I can't stop looking at the pictures! I keep getting in this thread, even when there are no posts, just to oggle!

message 13: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 18 comments There's no doubt as to whose son he is since he shaved off the beard -- If that isn't a "King" upper lip, I don't know what is!!

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Rachel wrote: "Glad you had fun Kathy! Great pics, unfortunately the weather is canceling my journey to Pittsburgh. I'm gonna call the store and see if they'll send me a signed copy of Horns though. *EDIT* On sec..."

Our store, Book Revue, has signed books available also. We generally have the authors sign stock for the store for those people who couldn't make it to the event. :)

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Kandice wrote: "I can't stop looking at the pictures! I keep getting in this thread, even when there are no posts, just to oggle!"

Glad you like the pics, Kandice! Enjoy the book! :)

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 92 comments Kathy wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Glad you had fun Kathy! Great pics, unfortunately the weather is canceling my journey to Pittsburgh. I'm gonna call the store and see if they'll send me a signed copy of Horns though..."

I'm gonna look up the number and call tomorrow. Thanks Kathy! :)

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I'll save you the trouble: 631-271-1442 or you can email them at Info@BookRevue.com :)

(I have it saved. :P)

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 92 comments thanks Becky, you are awesome!

message 19: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Boo (betsyboo) | 30 comments I thank you too Becky for posting those pics! I think I solved my lock-up prob. Downloaded Windows Explorer 8 and now I'm having no troubles. I do have to say I'm totally jealous you got to meet Joe in person. And I do hope he comes over here, at least for a visit! :)

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Betsy wrote: "I thank you too Becky for posting those pics! I think I solved my lock-up prob. Downloaded Windows Explorer 8 and now I'm having no troubles. I do have to say I'm totally jealous you got to meet..."

I hope you get to meet him, too, Betsy! He was the nicest person! And I'm glad you liked the pics. I had no clue had to put them up, but just kept texting them to Becky during the event and by the time I was home she had uploaded them all. Becky is awesome! Thanks again, Becky! :)

message 21: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Aww you're welcome guys! It was the least I could do since I couldn't be there and Kathy was nice enough to go and take pics and get books signed for K & I as well!

message 22: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Boo (betsyboo) | 30 comments I promise you both I'll do the same for you guys...if I get the chance!

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Betsy wrote: "I promise you both I'll do the same for you guys...if I get the chance!"

More pics would be awesome!!!! :)

message 24: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 15 comments Be sure to visit http://joehillfiction.com/ for more appearances. Too bad for me, Joe is only doing the New England area and the Pacific NW this time around. Keeping my fingers crossed that he'll get to the Southeast before too long.
Joe? ya coming? you can visit your da - and our Uncle Stevie - while you're in FLA!

message 25: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Boo (betsyboo) | 30 comments For my southern friends...Neil Gaiman wrote an interesting blog post about how authors give the south a pass when they are on tour. Maybe he'll have some influence with them:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

message 26: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 15 comments Betsy wrote: "For my southern friends...Neil Gaiman wrote an interesting blog post about how authors give the south a pass when they are on tour. Maybe he'll have some influence with them:
http://www.goodrea..."

As others have pointed out; how very strange, especially in view of all the Southern writers.

message 27: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Boo (betsyboo) | 30 comments True...very true!

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! I got Kathy's package today!! :D That was SOOOOOO FAST! She just mailed it yesterday!

*dies of excitement!*

message 29: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Becky wrote: "OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! I got Kathy's package today!! :D That was SOOOOOO FAST! She just mailed it yesterday!

*dies of excitement!*"

lol. I'm glad you're so excited, Becky! Just don't forget to breathe! :)

message 30: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 130 comments Damn. Before she died of excitement I should have had her will me the contents of that package.....

message 31: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Oops. You wouldn't have liked it anyway... Unless you change your name to Kandice or Becky. O_o

message 32: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Becky wrote: "Oops. You wouldn't have liked it anyway... Unless you change your name to Kandice or Becky. O_o"

Becky and Kandice that means you have to keep those books forever and ever and ever, since your names are inside! :)

message 33: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Well of course!

message 34: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments OMG!!!!! Becky already mailed mine, so I should have it in a few days. Please, please, please let nothing happen to the mail.

*crosses EVERYTHING*

message 35: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Kandice wrote: "OMG!!!!! Becky already mailed mine, so I should have it in a few days. Please, please, please let nothing happen to the mail.

*crosses EVERYTHING*"

Enjoy Kandice!!!! :)

message 36: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I got delivery confirmation, so we'll know. :)

message 37: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments Oh, trust me, I may enjoy that book more than any other...EVER! I may need to sleep with it under my pillow. I will, of course, put it in a ziploc bag first.

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 92 comments Kandice wrote: "Oh, trust me, I may enjoy that book more than any other...EVER! I may need to sleep with it under my pillow. I will, of course, put it in a ziploc bag first."

May be hard to read it that way... :)

message 39: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 130 comments She has to do something to keep the drool from getting all over it...

message 40: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 15 comments Rachel wrote: "May be hard to read it that way...."

She's not likely to actually READ that copy . . . areyou Kandice? please say no?
I have my signed copy of UTD and other signed volumes safely tucked away, and get READing copies from the library.

message 41: by Kandice, Felina is the best (last edited Mar 03, 2010 07:20AM) (new)

Kandice | 111 comments Oh I'll read it ONE time. Very. Very. Very. Carefully. Every time I re-read it will be another copy. I'm not a huge collector, but the things I DO collect, I feel should be used. At least once.:)

message 42: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 15 comments :) Enjoy Kandice. with NO cookies, coffee, not in the bath or at the beach . . . haha

message 43: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments I will be taking all proper precautions, I promise Tom:D

message 44: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 15 comments oh, and don't let Dustin tell ya it's okay to DOGEAR pages! :)

message 45: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments I would never, ever dogear a page. Not even in a book I planned on leaving somewhere when I was finished. Never.

message 46: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) *shudder* I hate dogeared pages. I even smooth them out when I see them in books I'm NOT buying at thrift stores and the like...

message 47: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 130 comments How about those people that take an ink pen and mark their place in the corner, or circle the page number when they stop?

message 48: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments Chris wrote: "How about those people that take an ink pen and mark their place in the corner, or circle the page number when they stop?"

Surely people don't really do that?

I have to admit that when I am reading a text book, or research book, I highlight and mark, but NOT novels and certainly no books I love.

message 49: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 130 comments I've checked books out from the library where they've done that. I'd be like, "surely I can read more in one sitting than this nimrod," and try to pass their mark.

Then you have those crease breakers. The ones that open the new book and stretch the binding back until you hear a cracking sound. That makes me want to hit somebody.

message 50: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments Ot when people lay a book down, spine up, splayed out? I HATE that? My dustcovers aren't always in perfect shape, mostly from being reshelved over and over, but the books themselves are usually in pretty good shape, especially if I bought them new.