Authors Without A Yacht (AWaY) discussion

Current Events Discussion > The Comments Blow My Mind

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 685 comments Mod
Some of the commentators on the Tenenbaum case are so ignorant of copyright law, it is astounding, depressing.

If you feel like it, you can give a virtual thumbs up or thumbs down for comments without signing in or in any way compromising your anonymity.

http://www.computerworld.com/comments/node/9136350?page=1

message 2: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 54 comments Mod
Yes, it is scary how oblivious people are towards digital ownership.

message 3: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 24 comments Mod
I did two pages of thumbs up/down. Wow.

message 4: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 54 comments Mod
Isn't it interesting how all the guys who say "Pirating stuff is not stealing" have really high ratings, and the guys with a bit of common sense all have low ratings?

It clearly shows that the majority of readers/voters thinks that it is perfectly okay to steal other people's work. Sometimes I wonder what the world has come to.

I mean, how do you argue such a case?

message 5: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Guido,

It seems remarkable to me that Mr Tenenbaum can only muster 60 or so friends to give thumbs up votes to his supporters.

Here's another link to another discussion about the Tenenbaum case.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/21764.cfm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+afterdawn+%28AfterDawn.com%29

If a Supreme Court Justice's private info is floating around the internet because one idiot at his financial management company used a P2P sharing site, then there ought to be more outrage about P2P functionality.

I don't understand how uploading songs to a P2P does not mean that the uploader is absolved from responsibility for every possible download that could have resulted!

message 6: by Alice (new)

Alice Gaines (alicegaines) | 3 comments I actually hear commercials on my local radio station for people advocating music piracy. They claim that none of the money on a music album goes to the musicians! Whaaaa???

I wrote to the station that they're taking advertisement for something illegal, although there's no way they couldn't have already known that. I've had silence for an answer, and the commercials continue.

aaargh!

Guido wrote: "Isn't it interesting how all the guys who say "Pirating stuff is not stealing" have really high ratings, and the guys with a bit of common sense all have low ratings?

It clearly shows that the maj..."

message 7: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Alice,

Send me details. I will discuss this on my radio show this coming Tuesday.

Also, that radio station should be reported to the copyrightalliance.org and to RIIA or SIIA (look in the "What you can do" area.

Soliciting people to break the law is illegal.

message 8: by Alice (new)

Alice Gaines (alicegaines) | 3 comments I don't want to post the website here for fear of giving them more publicity. If I can figure a way to send you a private message, I will.

message 9: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Got it.
Their website is pathetic. I agree with you about not giving them publicity.

message 10: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Alice,

I asked the copyright alliance about your radio station, and the copyright alliance people are impressive.

Apparently "The two download sites linked to are both registered by the same company. It appears they are downloading infringing works and claiming they’re a search engine, basically claiming ISP immunity under the DMCA."

According to "the Grokster Supreme Court decision found there is secondary liability if you are aware of infringement on your site and are facilitating it, even if not hosting. These sites, assuming the downloads aren’t licensed, would seem to fall under that."

The Copyright Alliance director suggests that "the logical point of contact would be an ad salesman; no radio station is going to make an ad salesman inaccessible!"

"If the ads were still running, a letter from an IP attorney would end it. No station wants to lose their FCC license for one advertiser...."