History of the Early American Republic discussion

Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lena (new)

Lena (Weathy) | 5 comments Mod
Welcome to History of the Early American Republic! Thank you for joining. We will discuss a wide variety of topics and ideas regarding the early American Republic, and will probably have a group read or two. The rules are simple: no profane language, but please do express your thoughts freely, no offensive slanders against other members, and to maintain a courteous and respectful atmosphere.
Please take a moment to introduce yourself here.

message 2: by Lena (new)

Hello everyone! My name is Lena, and I am an avid history buff! I am mainly interested in the American Revolution, and what I tend to call the Founding Period, during which our system of government was created and subsequently put into action (1787-1797) I am willing to learn about all different time periods in history, and am interested to read more about the Civil War.
If there's one thing that puzzles me, it is that people find history boring. They say they're learning "about old dead guys." This could possibly be owing to the education system, maybe the teachers happen to present it in a boring format. To learn history and truly understand it, not just cast it aside as if it were merely a subject in school, is of the essence. If we are to learn anything from history, we will learn not to repeat the mistakes of the past.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Thanks for the ivitre Lena. I'm really interested to see how this group developes and being a part of the conversations that occur within it.

message 4: by Lena (new)

Welcome, Vikz!

message 5: by Haley (new)

Haley | 1 comments Hi! I'm Haley. Thank you for inviting Lena. I am 13 years old and looove cats. I like learning about American history because it has so many interesting facts that you can learn. I'm really excited to join this group.

message 6: by Lena (new)

Welcome, Haley! I am sure you will learn more interesting facts as this group begins discussions.

message 7: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (dougkotti) | 20 comments Thank you, Lena Z, for creating this group. I am a practicing attorney residing in Columbia, South Carolina. The history of the early years of our Republic is absolutely fascinating, and study of that critical time in our nation's development deepens our understanding of and gives us a more intelligent perspective on our present government operation and political discourse. Fortunately for all of us, excellent scholarship about this historical period and a plethora of new books on the subject are available. For these reasons, I joined our group.

message 8: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Hi everyone:

Bryan here. I worked in the field of the Early Republic period until last year, then moved to a 21st century president.

Still like to keep tabs on what is going on though, so I'm glad Lena put this together.

message 9: by John (new)

John (silvjohn) | 2 comments Hello, I am John. I've been seriously interested in the Founding Era through the period of the War between the States since about 2000.

Since that time I have started piecing together the relations between the republic system and philosophical/spiritual belief systems.

I guess you could say that I study the progress of human/societal evolution towards some sort of enlightenment or perfection. The Founding Era is one of the tipping points in history in relation to this premise.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) John wrote: "Hello, I am John. I've been seriously interested in the Founding Era through the period of the War between the States since about 2000.

Since that time I have started piecing together the relat..."

Welocome to the group, looking forward to your contributions.

message 11: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Hi John, welcome, as well.

message 12: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (dougkotti) | 20 comments John, welcome to the group. With your study of theology, you will bring a unique perspective to our discussions.

message 13: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (JeffOtis) | 1 comments I am an attorney in Cambridge Massachusetts and am working on a biography on James Otis, the lawyer who gave an oration against the "writs of assistance" in 1761. John Adams stated "then and there the child of Independence was born."

While I think this is an exaggeration, it is the first time Britain's authority was publicly challenged.

Otis also advocated equality for blacks and women. He is an early proponent of judicial review, as and such is given short shrift by Scalia et. al. who do not like the ”warrant clause” of the fourth amendment which Otis advocated.

The James Otis topic was “assigned” to me by the late Chief Justice of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Edward Hennessey who founded the Massachusetts Journal of Legal History.

message 14: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (dougkotti) | 20 comments Hi, again, Jeff and welcome.

You are just the guy we could all learn from as part of this group. It appears that you and I keep showing up in the same places.

Doug in South Carolina

message 15: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Landry | 3 comments Hi everyone, I'm Jerry -- I just stumbled onto this group a couple of days ago. I'm a resident of Charlotte, NC. I've always been interested in the early Republic and began research a few months ago into the Washington administration. Eventually, I hope to use my research in order to write a historical novel, but for the time being, I'm just having fun reading, researching and learning.

message 16: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Welcome aboard Jerry.

message 17: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (dougkotti) | 20 comments Jerry, I am glad that we've got another Southerner within our ranks. Welcome! And best of luck with your historical novel.

message 18: by Mick (new)

Mick (mcedeez) | 2 comments Hi everyone. I am very excited about joining this group. I have always been interested in early American history. I live in Texas and have a daughter attending school at Princeton University. I recently visited the Princeton and Trenton areas and was so impressed with the history. Could not get enough! I look forward to everyone's discussion.

message 19: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Hey, Mick. Welcome. I see you are reading:

American Sphinx The Character of Thomas Jefferson by Joseph J. Ellis Joseph J. Ellis

you will have to tell us how you like it.

message 20: by Steven (new)

Steven Harbin (stevenharbin) | 4 comments Hi everyone,
I'm Steve, a former high school history teacher and now a school counselor in Georgia. I just joined a group on the constitution and constitutional law that Doug heads up, and some of the topics on that group made me realize that it's been a while since I read much about the founding period. This group looks interesting, and I like the diverse backgrounds of the folks who've introduced themselves so far, should make for some interesting discussions!

message 21: by Evan (new)

Evan Hey,
I'm Evan, I am a junior at Murray State University studying Middle School Education with areas in Math and History.

message 22: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (dougkotti) | 20 comments Steven and Evan,

Welcome! Having professional educators with our group will prove beneficial for the rest of us.

message 23: by Michael (last edited Jul 31, 2010 04:16PM) (new)

Michael D. (michaelhattem) | 1 comments Jeff wrote: "I am an attorney in Cambridge Massachusetts and am working on a biography on James Otis, the lawyer who gave an oration against the "writs of assistance" in 1761. John Adams stated "then and there..."

Jeff, John Adams once said, "Otis was a flame of fire! [...:] He burned everything before him." I've always remembered that quote. I would think a biography of Otis is long overdue especially investigating his reaction to his father being passed over for the judgeship in favor of the non-lawyer Hutchinson and its subsequent effect on his radicalism. I've always thought that "A Flame of Fire" would be a great title for a piece on Otis. I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

For introductory purposes, I am a final-year undergraduate at the City College of New York where I focus on colonial and revolutionary American history. I will be going to grad school next fall where I plan to focus on the continuities of political culture between the colonial and early republic periods.

message 24: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (dougkotti) | 20 comments Micheal,

Welcome and thanks very much for joining! You have much to share with us.

Incidentally, are you writing a dissertation? If so, what is your topic? And can we all obtain a copy, or view it online? Given our membership's common avid interest in the history of the founding and early development of our republic, we would benefit from and enjoy your scholarship.

Thanks again for joining, and I look forward to your participation and book recommendations.

Best of luck from South Carolina.

Douglas

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 3 comments Hello! I am a new member and a graduate student working on my Masters in History and Library Science. My passion is American History in particular.I have also done some high school teaching during my undergraduate study in US Government and World History. What a challenge! I enjoy playing the violin and learning Mandarin Chinese in any free time I may have, which is not much these days. ;) I am looking forward to participating in this group and learning a bunch of things from you all!

message 26: by Douglas (last edited Dec 01, 2010 09:35AM) (new)

Douglas (dougkotti) | 20 comments Jennifer,

Welcome to this Group dedicated to the history of the Early American Republic.

Unfortunately, this part of our nation's history is often overlooked; many educators seem to skip from the Constitution's framing and head into Andrew Jackson's Presidency. As we all know, the United States faced several secession crises and civil war during the years immediately after the Revolution, long before the War Between the States of the 1860s.

As a professional historian and librarian, you have access to the latest books about this fascinating period of our nation's history. We trust that you'll alert the Group members to the new releases, and recommend the best to us!

Welcome the Group. We all look forward to your participation.

Best wishes from South Carolina.

Douglas

message 27: by Alan (new)

Alan Johnson (alanejohnson) | 9 comments I am an independent scholar and author in the fields of history, constitutional law, political science, and philosophy. I retired in 2012 from a long career as an attorney in which I focused mainly on constitutional and public law litigation. For additional information and a list of my publications, see my website at http://www.philosophiapublications.com. I am especially interested in American history and U.S. constitutional law. I am currently researching and writing a book entitled "The First American Founder: Roger Williams and Freedom of Conscience" (scheduled for publication in late 2014 or early 2015). I published an excerpt from this book ("Was Massachusetts Bay a Theocracy?") in the November 2013 issue of The Independent Scholar Quarterly (see http://www.ncis.org/sites/default/fil...). My forthcoming book will establish, among other things, how Roger Williams influenced, directly or indirectly, leading figures in the generation that fought the Revolutionary War and established the Constitution and Bill of Rights. The concepts embodied in the Establishment and Free Exercise Clauses of the First Amendment are totally consistent with the thought and actions of Roger Williams and totally inconsistent with seventeenth-century New England theocracy. Although the principles of separation of church and state and freedom of religion associated with the First Amendment are most obviously traceable to such Enlightenment representatives as James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, and John Locke, my book will prove that Roger Williams had at least an indirect influence on each of these eminent thinkers. Moreover, Williams established the first American polity (Providence, which later became Rhode Island) based on the premise that government should extend only to civil matters and not at all to religion. Williams, a devout Christian, used both religious and secular arguments for church-state separation, and my book will discuss all of these arguments.

message 28: by Alan (new)

Alan Johnson (alanejohnson) | 9 comments Jeff wrote: "I am an attorney in Cambridge Massachusetts and am working on a biography on James Otis, the lawyer who gave an oration against the "writs of assistance" in 1761. John Adams stated "then and there..."

Jeff, let us know when your book on James Otis is published. I will be interested in reading it. Since you don't give your last name here, it is difficult to search for you on Amazon, etc.

message 29: by ilikeagoodread (new)

ilikeagoodread | 1 comments Hello H.E.A.R club! I am Jonathan, I live in Snellville, GA and am fascinated by people and culture. I specifically enjoy learning about why we are the way we are today: what past peoples/events shaped our current American cultures.

I am currently reading "American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America". It's my first kindle book and I'm liking the whole e-reader experience so far.

message 30: by Alan (new)

Alan Johnson (alanejohnson) | 9 comments I read American Nations a couple of months ago. It is a very interesting book.

message 31: by Alex (new)

Alex Bugaeff | 10 comments Hi everyone. My name is Alex. I am an author, concentrating on early American history. I also grow roses and cheer for my favorite college football team.

I try to rely on primary resources as much as possible in my writings. It is amazing what you can find on line these days - not just transcriptions, but images of the actual documents. Then, I can judge for myself what the author meant and how that fits in to the big picture.

One of my favorite quotes is, "History doesn't repeat itself, but human behavior does." I don't know who said it, but it sure applies to the Founding Period.

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone and exchanging stories, especially about little known characters and events. I would also like to get clarification on this group's rules as to what, if anything, I can share with regard to my books.