Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Abandoned books > Gail gets revved up at Larry

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments I'm bored...so I'll share a lil story! A friend was on the LRT (probably what you people call a subway) the other day and there was this book on a one of the seats and no one seemed to own it, but no one moved the book away to sit down either.

So...I've got a few questions..have you ever left your book somewhere and forgotten about it before? Did you go back for it? and...em...would you read an abandoned book just to kill time?

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yeah then wash my hands afterwards.

message 3: by Mary (last edited Feb 26, 2010 05:07PM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I've left books both by accident and on purpose. Usually if it's by accident I can't go back--once I left a book in a bar in OK City and didn't realize it til I got to Little Rock, Another time I finished a book in a hotel room in Miami and when I packed the next morning I just forgot it, didn't realize til I was back home in VA. And hell yes, I will read an abandoned book to kill time, rather than just stare mindlessly off into space. Even if it's a bodice ripper or a vampire romance, it's better than nothing.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments @ Larry, lols!

@ Mary, have you ever found an abandoned book? :D

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Yes, I've found books in the various family waiting rooms at my hospital, when I've been roaming the halls feeling bored in the middle of the night. They're usually of the bodice-ripper variety and I freely admit to just skimming them for the sexy bits.

message 6: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments When I was at the Grand Canyon last year there was a book left on a bench near one of the trailheads - it was in a plastic bag and had a note indicating that the book hoped someone would pick it up and read it and then pass it along.

Yes, I would go back for a book - within reason. Yes, I would read an abandoned book - within reason. Now, if said book was on the bathroom floor at One Eyed Jack's, that would be a no - I would leave said book alone. If, on the other hand, said book were sitting on a bench at the mall, I'd probably consider it.

message 7: by Mary (last edited Feb 26, 2010 05:31PM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) A book you found on the bathroom floor at One Eyed Jack's might be considerably more interesting.

Or not.

message 8: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments It might also be considerably more disgusting from a hygienic point of view. Or not. Hard to say.

message 9: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments Interesting Youndy! Do you remember the title of the book that was left at the Grand Canyon?

Wasn't there a website where one could tag and register a book and then leave it in a public place and hope that whoever found it would log it on the site and then pass it on?

I was in an antique/junk store the other day and noticed one of those Bathroom Reader books for sale...don't think I would ever buy one of those second hand just on general principle...

message 10: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments Tadpole, I think it was Le Divorce. In which I had non le interest. But it was that same program that you are recalling. I can't remember the name of it.

Good point about the secondhand Bathroom Reader.

message 11: by Knarik (new)

Knarik What is that?
(i don't understand the term.
and what program are you talking about?)

message 12: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments This is the site that I was thinking of, Knarik.
http://www.bookcrossing.com/

message 13: by Knarik (new)

Knarik Thanks.

message 14: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Hm. When I was in Berlin, maybe 21, I found a copy of Weaveworld in the room where I was staying and read some of that. I was traveling solo and kind of freaked out at night, so the book helped. Funny, haven't thought about that in years.

I have a bigger problem with putting down a book somewhere in the house and wondering where I put it, wandering around saying things like "has anyone seen a grey book by Faulkner? Anyone?"

message 15: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments Bookcrossing, that was it!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I have that "where did I put that book" problem, too. I just HAD it a minute ago, now, where did I put it down??? No, not THAT book... no, not that book either...

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Speaking of found books...

http://www.1000journals.com/

message 18: by Knarik (new)

Knarik Thanks for the link Mary! I liked this idea of traveling journals, it was so interesting.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I was wandering around Riverside, CA a couple of years ago and found a little park where someone had strewn books all over a bench. There was a sign with them that said "These books have been freed! Feel free to take one or leave one, and keep it or give it away when you're done, just don't sell it again."
They were decent books.

I deliberately left my copy of Everything That Rises Must Converge in South Africa in December rather than carry it back home. I've never done that before, but it felt very good.

message 20: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments I leave books behind on a regular basis at the end of vacations. Assuming I'm finished with it, of course, and that I don't have some burning desire to have the book as part of my permanent collection.

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
I left my copy of DFW's (booo hisss) Infinite Jest in my friend's apartment in Japan. I had brought it thinking it would be the perfectly meaty read for a 16 hour flight, but it just pissed me off. i was so happy to abandon it there. I don't even want it on my shelf.

On a related note, I read "Consider the Lobster" last night in The Best American Essays 2005 and was deeply horrified. It was gross. Why people adore that man is completely beyond me. He's just so very smug.

message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

And I know, RIP, don't speak ill of the dead, yadda yadda. Sorry DFW, but I still loathe you.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I haven't tried to read Infinite Jest, but I did like Consider the Lobster.
I think you're dislike for IJ has ruined DFW for you, Sally.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I've left books intentionally as a part of the whole 'BookCrossing' thing. I've also received books from people through BookCrossing, too. I don't know if I would pick up an abandoned book. It would be my luck the person who owned it would be close by and think I was trying to make off with their beloved book.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Is this the spot to leave my unable-to-finish books, so I can stop feeling guilty about them??

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) This is the place, Gail.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought you had gone for the weekend?

message 28: by Félix (last edited Mar 04, 2010 08:21PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) No I thought you did. I'm here right now. Can't you tell?

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Most people have left by this time of day & I am left to make conversation with myself.
You are looking pretty solid though.:)

message 30: by Félix (last edited Mar 04, 2010 08:25PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) What's that supposed to mean? Oh. I get it. Never mind.

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I have to go to bed now, though, since I have to get up at 6 for work tomorrow.

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 04, 2010 08:30PM) (new)

What? I didn't say anything! Ooops, apologies for minor sledge.

message 33: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) No I was just funning you, girl.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Gail gets revved up at Larry I have no idea what that means!

message 35: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That's just Sally.

message 36: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24149 comments Mod
In my neighborhood people abandon books all the time, because there are so many book scavengers around. Sometimes they leave them in boxes, sometimes just right there on the asphalt in an alley. I have scavenged many books myself, and abandoned a smaller number.

The last time I saw an abandoned book in an actual building, I was visiting someone in the hospital and saw an abandoned copy of something by E.L. Doctorow. I didn't take it. It didn't look all that interesting.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I take magazines that I've read (new ones) and leave them in waiting rooms or on airplanes.

message 38: by Sally, la reina (new)

I bless you Stacia. I love finding good magazines on airplanes.

message 39: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24149 comments Mod
Me too, Stacia. I leave them at my doctor's office, which for some reason only seems to have Golf, ESPN magazine, and Spanish US. Lately I've been leaving them all my Architectural Digest and W. (I keep my Elle Decors because I love them...)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I get my magazine fix at the hair dressers. Sally always makes sure she rotates them regularly so I have a new supply for each appointment.

message 41: by Sally, la reina (new)

Your hairdresser is named Sally?

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Sally wrote: "Your hairdresser is named Sally?"

Yes her name is Sally, she is lovely, as you would expect from someone named Sally. :)

message 43: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11626 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "Sally wrote: "Your hairdresser is named Sally?"

Yes her name is Sally, she is lovely, as you would expect from someone named Sally. :)"

Of course. But doesn't it bother you when she goes on and on and on about her sweet baboo?

message 44: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments all hairdressers are named sally, as are all barbers named jerry. some kind of rule

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.