Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Archived Threads > Motivation

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
I am having a hard time staying motivated lately. I think I'm just burned out from a long, hard year. Is anyone else struggling with motivation?

I have things I need to do, and it's very hard to get myself going to do them. I must say that I am somewhat of a perfectionist, and I have always pushed myself to do my personal best. I am not competitive, but I am hard on myself to do a good job. I don't know if I've just run out of juice, but it's getting really hard to just do basic stuff, other than getting up and going to work (probably because I have to). On the upside, I've been consistent in using the Wii Fit Plus that I got us for Christmas.

Anyone have anything to share? What do you do when you're feeling 'out of juice?'

I know that there are some spiritual things I need to work on, so maybe this is a sign that I need to do better in that department.

message 2: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments Danielle, here's what I do when I'm feeling unmotivated.....nothing. I take time for just me, no phones, no kids, no husband. I lock myself away in my room and I do nothing for a couple of hours. Meditations, deep breathing, cleaning my mind of all things that are on the other side of door. Does wonders to rejuvenate my body as well as my spirit.

message 3: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
I agree with Brenda. Sometimes you just need time for you, to do nothing, or to do everything. As long as its for you, and what you feel like doing at that moment. That way, you can get back to the business of your daily life feeling refreshed. For a while, I was always feeling as if my "get up and go" left me behind. In addition to taking a few days off from work, I had some blook work done too, and found out that I'm anemic. More often than not, you just might be in need of some spiritual/emotional/mental recharging, but don't rule out anything medical if you haven't had a check up in a while.

message 4: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6563 comments Mod
I tend to relax. I need to pay a visit to the spa and get a good old fashion massage.

Sometimes, our bodies get tired and it's because we haven't rested it in a long while.

Sometimes, I don't feel like doing anything and that includes exercising, but I do walk a lot at work, so if don't do a taebo tape, when I get home, at least I have gotten a workout in, during my 8 hours of working.

A check is good to have. I'm anemic too. I can tell when my blood is low.

Eat healthy. That helps. There's nothing wrong with having a treat every once in a while.

A clog pipe can make us not want to do anything.

Have me time. I do. :)

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Feb 27, 2010 04:20PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) | 7308 comments Mod
Thanks for the great advice, my friends. I think it's being tired and burned out. I've been full steam ahead since I was in college, as strange as that sounds. I am going to try to get a lot of relaxation in these two weeks off (although I have to clean up my garage). I hope to get some reading, resting, and writing in. And maybe cook some.

Hugs!

message 6: by Arch , Mod (last edited Feb 27, 2010 04:25PM) (new)

Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Thanks for the great advice, my friends. I think it's being tired and burned out. I've been full steam ahead since I was in college, as strange as that sounds. I am going to try to get a lot of..."

Hugs going back at you.

Yes, if you can, do some writing. I know we have a challenge starting March 1, but still please squeeze in some writing. :)

message 7: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments You're welcome, Danielle.

message 8: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
No problem, enjoy your time off.

message 9: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 126 comments Lately I have been feeling that blah feeling as well. So after talking about my fustrations with you all, I just got out of the house with no specific purpose in mind. Other than the mall, I am usually not one to just wander around by myself, hated even the though of eating alone. But one weekend when my daughter was at her dads, I hopped on the metro and went down town to just walk around. I didn't know where I was going but I had a great time by myself. I had my book and my list of things I want to do with my life and just enjoyed the pleasure of hanging out with myself and leaving everyone else's drama behind. Ever since then I have felt so empowered, I learned my way around in no time. The next weekend I took my daughter to the museums and now we have a long line of weekend activities lined up. I use to feel kind of confined because I hated going anywhere by myself and some of my friends are energy vampires, but now I don't feel like I have to call anybody up, I just go and that is very liberating. Did I cure cancer? No, but it was a big step for me. So just jump into something outside of your comfort zone.

message 10: by Chaeya (new)

Chaeya | 454 comments Yes on the reset. I know last year I was becoming overwhelmed because everyone would ask how my writing was coming along and I was busy with my other business, my family and all. After getting my MS back from my critique partner, I saw where I was still not happy with it so I took a break. I just started back working on it today and I'm so glad I took the break because I felt so fresh and that I could breathe new life into it. I figured, it gets done when I say it's done. I'm not trying to win any awards.

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Sees Love in All Colors (new)

When it comes to writing, it's very hard. The general thought is you should write everyday without fail. My problem is, my job often leaves me mentally exhausted. If I did write daily. It would be...well, crap. I'm glad your writing is feeling refreshed, Chaeya.

message 12: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments Chaeya wrote: "Yes on the reset. I know last year I was becoming overwhelmed because everyone would ask how my writing was coming along and I was busy with my other business, my family and all. After getting my..."

When I finish a manuscript I shelf it for up to 6 months. Then I return to it all these months later and it's amazing how easy it is to pick up on what works and what doesn't. It's great for the editing process! Too bad all stories can't languish on a shelf for 6 mths if one's ultimate goal is to get published, but usually 3 months work just as well.

message 13: by Chaeya (new)

Chaeya | 454 comments Three months works well for me too. That's why I don't want to write for a living. That way I'm not forced to push books out and Danielle, yes, I think I wouldn't produce quality either being expected to always write.

message 14: by Arch , Mod (new)

Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "When it comes to writing, it's very hard. The general thought is you should write everyday without fail. My problem is, my job often leaves me mentally exhausted. If I did write daily. It would..."

I agree writing is hard.