Just for Fun Book Club discussion

Millionaire Wives Club > Millionaire Wives Club by TU-Shonda L. Whitaker

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Starlita (new)

Starlita (starreader) | 30 comments Mod
Millionaire Wives Club by Tu-Shonda L. Whitaker

Hello everyone,

We will start talking about the book on Thursday. New topic and question will post on Thursday. Also, what would you like the next book to be?

message 2: by Starlita (new)

Hello everyone,

We are going to start talking about the book Thursday March 4, 2010.

First quiz? Do you watch reality TV show about family for example the Real House wifes?

message 3: by Starlita (new)

I am not a big reality TV show fan. I do watch show about familys. I have been following the Real House wife from the begin. In some ways I feel sorry for the women. Some of there behaavior make you not want to be rich.

What is your thoughts on reality tv show? how far have you go into the book?

We will be open to talk about book all day today.

message 4: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) I don't do t.v. at all and the biggest reason I stopped watching years ago is because it all turned so called "reality". There's enough reality in the real world in my opinion and it doesn't belong on t.v. I know most of it is addicting but it's just not for me so I stopped watching t.v. pretty much altogether.
I can say this even though I'm less than 100 pages into the book so far - this Yusef guy is getting on my nerves. I don't know if Whitaker wanted him to irk readers or not but him calling himself "Da Truef"! Ugh.... talk about annoying! The wives don't seem to be the most realistic but it's early in the game yet.... lol

message 5: by Starlita (new)

I couldn't understand how she ended up with him "Yusef" for the life of me. Knowing is wife is a educted woman, to have married someone just for the money who had no kind of cents.

I feel like most reality show don't show people true reality. I think in the begin there was so kind of real like reaction to how the individual in the show plays the game. Now, the individual who these show know how to play the game. So they put their game faces on for their 15 mins of fame. Most of it is not postives.

Do you feel like these shows and the women on those show are giving a bad example for women?

message 6: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) I agree totally. From the little bit of "reality t.v." I have seen and read about in magazine there is very little actual reality in there. I think like you said, in the beginning there was more, but it's not like that now. Everything is scripted and it's all playing out according to a game plan. I think this book is actually staying true to that.
If a person who actually thinks reality t.v. is real reads this book they may begin to realize that it's not if their mind is open. Bridget's character seems to be a lot like how a normal producer of a show like that would be.
I agree on the Yusef thing too. I read a little more last night and am just under the halfway mark. So far I think it's a pretty good book though.
The parts with the young boy, Jabril is his name I think, are pretty realistic also. The same with his mother. It's probably not every day that the mother falls for the detective and all that but hey.... it makes for good reading right? lol

message 7: by Starlita (new)

The who idea of them dating is a good story. I wonder how many single mother would date a detective to get there sons out of going to jail.

Jabril whole story line is so true to life. Child left to take care of self and parent shock or don't care what he gets is self into.

message 8: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) I just finished a few minutes ago. I won't say too much because I don't know if you or anyone else is finished but the ending could have been better I think.
I think the whole book had more promise than was delivered. Some of the situations should have beenmore drawn out I think. Some of them were just handled far too quickly, much too pat.
I need to think on it a little bit and I'll link my review here too.
I do know this - the whole crazy chick thing for Evan's character is played out. Even though Whitacker did it far better than Ashley in The Prada Plan (that was the wackest description of someone with a mental disease I've ever read - totally cliched) this description also wasn't up to par. Evan's character could have brought a lot more to the book in another way IMO.

message 9: by Starlita (new)

True it's a very fat read. Leave you to want to know what happen. She could make a whole book of her xharater. I can't wait to talk about the book next week. Maybe we can read the other book you talked about next. Are you up to it?

message 10: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) The Prada Plan? I read that a few months ago and did not like it but I'm all for talking about it! Maybe someone can change my mind about some of the things I didn't like! lol Everyone else I know liked it a lot so maybe you will too. Maybe it was just me!

message 11: by Starlita (new)

We won't be meeting today. I'm a little under the weather. We will meet next week. and talk about our what should our next book be.

Have a nice week

message 12: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) I'm just now starting to feel better myself - my daughter and I both were sick for almost a week. :(

message 13: by Starlita (new)

Hello everyone

How did you like the book? what was your feeling about the book

message 14: by Eva Marie (last edited Apr 05, 2010 06:47AM) (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) lol... I just had to read my review to remember the book. I gave it three stars and I did like it but I definitely had complaints. The character Evan reminded me a lot of whatever her name was inAshley Antoinette Snell's The Prada Plan and in both books the characters were portrayed all wrong. Both times the authors just went with the over the top Hollywood type of crazy chick and it doesn't work. It works in a teen slasher flick but not in a book like these. I could tell Whitaker has talent and I think she could have done a far better jon with Evan by being more subtle.
From reading my review I saw that I didn't like the ending but I can't honestly remember why. I remember the names of everyone but since I don't like spoilers in my reviews and always, always do my best to leave them out sometimes I'm vague about certain things and this was one of those times.
I loved Jabril and Bilal's characters a lot. I was unhappy about the fact that since the premise of the book was something not done before (for the most part anyway and in urban fiction as far as I know) it could have very well been an awesome book instead of just so-so. And I think she has the talent to put behind it also but it just didn't happen here because of a few simple, but damaging, mistakes.