Love Inspired Books discussion

Merrillee Whren talks writing

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Love Inspired (new)

Love Inspired Books (loveinspiredbooks) | 1035 comments Mod
1. How long have you been writing for Steeple Hill?
My first book with Steeple Hill, THE HEART'S HOMECOMING, came out in 2005.

2. What’s something you wish you’d known when you started your writing journey?
I wish I'd known that I had to find my own writing process, that I didn't have to write like author X.

3. What’s the most common writing question you get and what is your answer?
Where do you get your stories? I get my stories from everywhere--songs, things I read in the
newspaper, something that has happened to people I know or something that has happened to me. All of these things may trigger an idea that leads to a story.

4. How have you dealt with the rejection of your writing?
Rejection has made me disappointed, angry, discouraged, sorrowful, and determined. In the end, determination won.

5. Do you have a Bible verse that guides your writing?
I have two verses that I like to consider when writing.
Psalm 19:14 "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be
pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer."
Colossians 3:23 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as
working for the Lord, not for men,"

6. What is your favorite writing book?
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
It is probably the only writing book I've read all the way through. I've read portions of a lot of other books, but I always wanted to write more than I wanted to read how to write.

7. What is the most recent Steeple Hill book you’ve read?
The most recent book I've finished was A FOREVER CHRISTMAS by Missy Tippens. I really enjoyed it. Right now I've got two different Steeple Hill books going. LOVE THINE ENEMY by Louise M. Gouge and A MATCH MADE IN TEXAS by Arlene James. I'm usually reading a couple books at a time.

8. What does your writing life look like?
Chaos with a pinch of discipline. If you are a neat freak, you would probably faint if you looked at my desk. It is a mess. But I ignore the mess while I write. I like to write in the evening. I'm more creative then. I run errands and do chores during the day. When I'm nearing a deadline, I might write from the time I get up until I go to bed, otherwise, I do most of my writing in the evening.

9. What advice would you give to an aspiring Steeple Hill author?
First, read a lot of Steeple Hill books. Then write, write, write and submit, submit, submit.

10. What is your favorite part about writing for Steeple Hill?
There are a lot of things to like about writing for Steeple Hill, but my favorite is getting letters from readers who say that the story I wrote touched their lives in some way.

Merrillee Whren
Hometown Promise, Feb. 2010
Hometown Proposal, Aug. 2010
With God all things are possible. Matt. 19:26 Hometown Promise (Steeple Hill Love Inspired (Large Print)) by Merrillee Whren

message 2: by Janet (last edited Feb 27, 2010 05:50PM) (new)

Janet Dean | 34 comments Merrillee, fun to hear you like to write in the evenings when I'm pretty much brain dead. :-) It's interesting to see the differences in how we writers get our stories on the page. Love your books!

message 3: by Love Inspired (new)

Love Inspired Books (loveinspiredbooks) | 1035 comments Mod
Isn't it fun, Janet? I love reading about authors and how they do things. I'm a night person as well.

message 4: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 517 comments I enjoy these posts even If i dont reply to them all.
not a night person here 10.30 is a good bedtime!