Chick Lit Writers discussion

Style > Setting

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 236 comments Mod
Do you have a favorite location? City, place or other specific spot near and dear to your heart? Seems like Chick Lit has really been branching out beyond just New York and Hollywood ...let's brainstorm some great ideas for story hot spots:

message 2: by Cathy (new)

I'm a beach person myself...I gotta be near water...maybe it would be interesting to write a story one day about a girl who was forced to move to Kansas or Montana or just somewhere "in the middle" and how it affected her life...huh? who knows? maybe one day..

message 3: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) I'm a beach person as well. I live in Michigan within 45 minutes of Lake Michigan. Since this is where I've lived my whole life, I can't imagine what it would be like to live in a land-locked state. I think I would go insane! LOL! Especially since my dream is to live in Florida or someplace else warm and right on the ocean.

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara I am a beach person and like Stacy I live 45 minutes from Lake Michigan. Do I know you Stacy? You look and sound familiar..Just kidding! It's not like you sit right in front of me at work. LOL!

message 5: by Cathy (new)

haha..you all work together? I thought there was alot of people in these groups from MI...I was born there...does that count for anything:)

message 6: by Tara (new)

Tara Stacy and I work together. She was also the Maid of Honor in my wedding.

Ok. That counts. What city were you born in?

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Ann Arbor...my grandparents used to work at UMich...they still have 50 yard line tix to football games that they give to their old neighbors every year:) but i havent lived there since I was 2.,..applied to Umich so i visited at 16 but didn't get in:(

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara So your a U of M fan then?

message 9: by Cathy (new)

nah...i'm a boston girl all the way:) I dont' really watch colelge football either...

message 10: by Cathy (new)

So you both work at the mall? What company is it?

message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara It's General Growth Properties.

message 12: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) If I can help it I try not to name a place for the setting. I definitely try to make in more of a city. I try not to always NYC because it so trite- but I do love it there. When I win the lottery I will buy a loft there.

message 13: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) I'd love to go to NYC sometime!

message 14: by Tara (new)

Tara ME TOO!!!!

message 15: by Cathy (new)

I go to NYC every August/September for two days to see the US Open (a professional tennis tournament) but it hardly counts as being in the "City" - it is definitely a dream of mine to go into the City though for a day (at least) of shopping, taking inthe sites, a play, the nightlife...my heart is definitely in Boston but I haven't ventured out to much beyond Massachusetts:(