Chick Lit Writers discussion

Style > Description, Language, Dialogue

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 236 comments Mod
What you say and how you say it is almost as important to the story as the characters themselves.
Be concise. Try not to repeat yourself and remember, that it is not necessary to use words bigger than you are! But also be creative and have fun with it.

Share your stories, experiences, uses, and influences with us.

Try some exercises out for yourself: For example, How many ways can you describe a day spent shopping.

message 2: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) I've heard the term, "Write what you know." Not being a writer, nor having tried to write before, I don't know how true that is, but it makes sense to me. However, what if, "what you know," is plain, ordinary and boring? I guess then, it's research time, right?

message 3: by Cathy (new)

I bet only you think what you know is ordinary and boring....to someone else it is probably fantastic!

I have heard the same thing...especially for first time writers that the first book is most often a reflection of yourself, your friends and neighbors and your life...only highly exaggerated and maybe even mishmashed with other events, stories and characters to make it more elaborate(and to protect the innocent, of course:))

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I don't think anything is boring. Read some memoirs, things like riding the bus or a part time job have been made into these great stories. Just think about some of the crazy things that happened or even make something up that could have happened at a job or situation that you know.

message 5: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) Alicia wrote: "I don't think anything is boring. Read some memoirs, things like riding the bus or a part time job have been made into these great stories. Just think about some of the crazy things that happened..."

Good idea!

message 6: by Cathy (new)

Does anyoone have any tips on writing dialogue in fiction? Or any helpful resources ont he web you could point me too??

Thanks!

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicole21) | 14 comments Cathy wrote: "Does anyoone have any tips on writing dialogue in fiction? Or any helpful resources ont he web you could point me too??

Thanks!"

Try reading your dialogue out loud. If you stumble or it doesn't sound like how you or other people you know talk, then you know you need to rework it.

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Great thanks...that's really helpful...for some reason I've been going through this phase in my writing where I just feel like filling in dialogue and plan to add the rest of the plot later:)

message 9: by Cathy (new)

Over 100 quotes of cliched dialogue to help anyone in their writing! I know I could use some of these tips:)

http://www.darkangelwritingandreviews...