Chick Lit Writers discussion

Style > POV

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 236 comments Mod
How do you tell a story? Is it from one person's perspective (First person)? Are there multiple points of view - with many people telling the story? Do yo write in dialogue format as in books like Love, Rosie that write all emails, letters and various other correspondence? Please share any ideas or influences you have here:

message 2: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) Has anyone read Marian Keyes' latest, The Brightest Star in the Sky? I just started it recently and the story is being told from...I guess the best way to describe it is, a spirit's point of view. It's very different from most of the books I've read.

message 3: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 236 comments Mod
wow, I just received that book in the mail from BookMooch..sounds very differnet and interesting...I guess I envision it kind of like the movie Ghost? Does that sound right?

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara I read it. So good! You will have to wait and see who is actually narrating it. You will be surprised.

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) The Brightest Star in the Sky reminded me of The Book Thief. I have love books written from some different POV, but I don't think I am creative enough to come up with something so abstract.

I tend to write more first person. I love dialogue. Sometimes I get too wrapped up in it and forget that I need to mentions things like setting.

I always wanted to write a book in diary or letter form, because 10 years ago I thought this was a very new and unique idea...turns out I just hadn't read a lot of different books yet.

message 6: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) Alicia wrote: "I always wanted to write a book in diary or letter form, because 10 years ago I thought this was a very new and unique idea...turns out I just hadn't read a lot of different books yet.
"

I agree Alicia, this is my favorite type of format to read.

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara It's one of my favorite formats to read also. I love the diary, IMing and email book. Love, Rosie and Holly's Inbox were great books.

message 8: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) Tara wrote: "It's one of my favorite formats to read also. I love the diary, IMing and email book. Love, Rosie and Holly's Inbox were great books."

Don't forget about the Georgia Nicolson series!!!

message 9: by Mona (new)

Mona | 5 comments I have to read Brightest Star in The Sky (thanks Alicia for that awesome recommendation) and am reading The Book Thief next. I heard they were both very good. I also love to read books written by that point of view... letters between people or in a diary form. I have always wanted to write a book like that too!! Anyone have any more recommendations of books like these?